MEMCruiser's cruiser search. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SM420's are awesome trail transmissions. They are essentially 3 speed tranny's on the road though. 1st gear is 7.03:1 (versus a Cruiser tranny being 4:1)

This was how the early Cruisers (before the Orion 4:1 case) got enough gearing for the rocks.

Great trail truck, probably not the best for a 100 mile roadtrip with trailer.

As for the 454.....those are great motors. People get all excited about them and the HP, but likely that motor puts out less HP than a stock Gen III 5.3 motor.

Boggers suck on the road (and the rocks). The 3-speed will suck on the road. The 454 is going to suck your wallet out of your pants. The 454 big-block also means less room under the hood in an already real-estate-starved vehicle.

If you can live with or correct those things, I think it's a decent ride. A little pricey in my opinion for what it is, but still a decent whip.

That's a good price. 8274, power steering is all great! I agree with nolen on the sm420....believe that's what bossman has.

I would rather have a 350, it's alot more versatile. Also, If you get a v8 I would get one that has an automatic. After driving Stacy's around Florence, it's very nice having the auto!!

As far the full Float axle....there getting hard to find. The only place you can get seals are from Spector....or at least the seals I need for mine.

I like the SM420 for the gearing and think it does well on the road as well. Don't know what problems Jordan has with them but they were THE transmission in GM trucks from 1/2 ton to 2 1/2 ton from the early 40's to the late 60's when they were replaced by the SM465. I like them so much I have another ready for a future rig some day...

454cid is a great motor but you have the added weight and sometimes cooling issues that small blocks don't. It weighs about 200lbs more than a small block which, btw, is about the same weight as the original 2f so no big deal there. Keep stock exhaust manifolds and a good cooling system and it should live for years. When/if it dies a small block is still a direct bolt in anyway.

Boggers pull great in the rocks in a straight line. they just don't have much side hill traction and tend to want to slide when off camber. I ran them for years and really didn't find them to be too much of a problem off road. On road - they suck! Too loud and wear out very quickly.

There is my $.02

Maybe I've just got some Bodean anger today at work :meh:

Still think the Boggers all around bring the suck - straightline or not.

I'd pass on that one. You'll get more bang for the buck with something else, in my opinion. But, hey, I've been wrong before.

Wow, thanks guys. I have been flying a lot this week, but trying to parse through these.

I like the one in NWA and the one in hattiesburg.

A 79 on Buffalo NY? Yeah that truck probably doesn't have any rust...

I looked at one here with the 4.3 v6 and 700R4 No hard top but has a besttop softop. Said he would be selling it pretty soon. It is dark green in color. Looked pretty good.

DavidW said:
I looked at one here with the 4.3 v6 and 700R4 No hard top but has a besttop softop. Said he would be selling it pretty soon. It is dark green in color. Looked pretty good.

4.3 is a nice motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom