Members Tire Choices (Renamed to not confuse with the other thread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tire Choice
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ (not the 5 row ATZ Plus)
285/75R16

Considerations for Purchase:

I live in Winnipeg where we get some serious winter, complete with snow and ice. I have dedicated snow tires, but I wanted a tire I can use year 'round. The snow tires I have (Yokohama Geolandar I/T) are great, but they aren't aggressive enough to do winter trail driving. And at -40, who wants to swap tires?!?

I also do some trailer towing on the highway in the summer. So the tires need to be reasonably quiet with good on-road manners, while still aggressive enough for some off-roading.

My HDJ81 has a 5-speed where 5th is too short for highway driving. A larger tire helps bring the rpms down a bit. Too large will make for poor acceleration.

When I bought my truck, it had a set of 35" BFG Mud Terrains that were at about 30% tread remaining. I only did one highway trip towing with these and the rpms were lower, but the acceleration was poor and the EGTs climbed too high. 35" tires were overkill for me considering I only wheel a few times per year. 33" seemed a good compromise.

Performance:

I've only had them on for a few months now - haven't seen any snow yet. I'll have my snow tires on stand-by just in case these suck. Otherwise I find the Bajas to fit the bill in all other regards. They are a lot more aggressive than any online photos of them. I do find they pick up stones easily and throw them too. I hope I don't end up breaking a side view mirror!

Recommend

Yes for summer daily driving and occasional off-roading. I can't make a recommendation based on snow yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom