meat tenderizer ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it depends on both.

you're not saying the meat will get saltier than the overall salt content of the brine, are you?

while meat soaking in a salt water bath will continue to soak up water and salt, it will not absorb more salt percentage-wise than is in the brine solution.

you're not saying the meat will get saltier than the overall salt content of the brine, are you?

while meat soaking in a salt water bath will continue to soak up water and salt, it will not absorb more salt percentage-wise than is in the brine solution.

only if there evaporation will that happen.

Soaking steak in a brine is a bad idea, no matter what % of the solution is you are still adding salt to your meat. Jaccarding it would be smarter.

Brine should be left for poultry and pork and injected if used.

Soaking steak in a brine is a bad idea, no matter what % of the solution is you are still adding salt to your meat. Jaccarding it would be smarter.

I agree 100%.
I never brine beef. Only poultry and pork.

additionally, I have only jaccarded tougher cuts of beef.

:idea:

the jaccard would be nice for a boneless leg of lamb, I'd bet.

I agree 100%.
I never brine beef. Only poultry and pork.

Dammit. Just when I thought this thread was going to take a nose-dive, you guys set it back on the path. :mad:

Yeah, brined beef = bad.

Injection, well, I'll leave that be.

Personally, I rarely use any tenderizing method with beef. I typically rely on the cooking method to keep it tender. For tough cuts, cook it fast n hot, let it rest, cut across the grain.

Dammit. Just when I thought this thread was going to take a nose-dive, you guys set it back on the path. :mad:

Yeah, brined beef = bad.

Personally, I rarely use any tenderizing method with beef. I typically rely on the cooking method to keep it tender. For tough cuts, cook it fast n hot, let it rest, cut across the grain.

are you part of the 1996 US Girls Gymnastics Team? Cuze you nailed it....;)

Yeah, brined beef = bad.

oh yeah?

well what about that dry-assed grass fed stuff? huh? what about that? well???

well???

to be honest, I first learned about the jaccard tenderizer from checking out one of those grass fed beef sites you were perusing... :D

well what about that dry-assed grass fed stuff? huh? what about that? well???

I have yet to give it a try. I looked. Ivestigated buying a 1/4 or 1/2 cow, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Sounds great from an environmental standpoint. But I loves me some marbelization. :eek: And I hear that it can taste grassy. Yuck.

to be honest, I first learned about the jaccard tenderizer from checking out one of those grass fed beef sites you were perusing... :D

If it's good enough for Alton, it's good enough for me. Though, it looks like a unitasker to me! :doh:

What about Adolf's meat tenderizer?

Or...

Shoot it yourself. All the deer and elk (and 1 Buffalo) I shoot are tender (you just gotta take of the meat right). :D

And here I thought meat had been beat to death..........................:shotts:

and you folks go and prove me wrong.:cheers:

that is actually the opposite that would happen unless you are injecting it with the brine. Think of this - everything wants to be at homeostasis adding a salt solution will draw out moisture from the meat to equalize the brining solution - this will also leave the meat saltier b/c the water leaves without the NaCL.

This is why the boys in the south soak deer in a salt/water bath to draw out the blood b/c it is too hot to hang the deer outside....

'struth. I soak Easter hams in tap water to draw out the salt.

yes a small amount will, but it would take a week and it will be salty as fxxx. Why do you think all brine is injected and not used as a bath?

how salty the end result is depends on how much salt is in the brine more than how long it's brined.

'struth. I soak Easter hams in tap water to draw out the salt.

Brining could be the next airplane on a conveyer belt riddle. :ban:

Anybody else use TexJoy Steak Seasoning? If you've never tried it, it's the heat. It just makes roasts and steaks......taste meatier. I've always been a salt and pepper only traditionalist with steak. But I don't use anything for meat these days.

I usually leave steaks in the fridge for a few days before cooking, but not to age them per se.....it usually just works out that way.

I'm a firm believer in sear first, then finish at a lower temp or in the oven if cooking inside.

As long as you start with good cuts.....I like ribeyes or T-bones.....you almost can't mess it up.

so how long is too long to "age" meat in the fridge?

mike

at home?

I dry aged a large rib roast for 21 days.
I cut that up into some very nice steaks. I ditched the rack (bones).

In the future, I'll probably stop at 14 days.

so how long is too long to "age" meat in the fridge?

mike

if it is already cut into steaks then aging in the fridge is pointless.....

if it is a subprimal then you can age it another 10 days or so. You just have to be careful b/c if you pick a subprimal up that has been aged already then you might want to just go ahead and cut it into steaks then either freeze or eat.

if it is already cut into steaks then aging in the fridge is pointless.....

if it is a subprimal then you can age it another 10 days or so. You just have to be careful b/c if you pick a subprimal up that has been aged already then you might want to just go ahead and cut it into steaks then either freeze or eat.

theoretically speaking.... say you had a cut of steak 2" think and a deli meat slicer... if you aged that steak for 10 days... and sliced it. Would that make a delicious steak sandwich? or would it be rotten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom