May ROTM 2016 - Mount Ord (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JACKPOT! I was able to make contact with Robert Dintaman who is the Fire Control Officer out of the Mesa Ranger District Field Office. We are good to go on the 14th for an afternoon visit to the fire tower. And,,,,, it gets better. He has already reached out to the volunteer fire watcher (his name is Rob too, the older guy with the pooch up there for those of us who went up last year) and alerted him that we are coming with a group.

We may only be able to go up 4 at a time, but I guess that is Rob’s (the dog guy) call. I also let them know that around 1430hrs or later would be good for us so that gives us time to get up to the summit, have lunch, relax, etc. Rob the tower guy takes lunch from 1300 to 1400.

Rob the FCO asked me to text him when we get up there and he will drive out to meet us at the gate so we can take our rig’s to the top instead of hiking that last ½ mile. He is 1.5 hours away and he stressed that he has no problem at all to drive up since he is working weekends anyway.

A bunch of Cruisers parked next to the antenna arrays on top of Mt Ord overlooking the valleys below should make for some cool club photo’s! I am bringing my tri-pod :clap:

Great work Pete, sounds like a fun weekend. Maybe someone should take the ranger a sandwich and snacks. Plate of cookies, just something to say thanks for your service.

Steve - great idea. I'll put something together for both Rob's. Thanks for that idea.

Sounds like this is going to be another awesome trip I have to miss... :crybaby: But my son is graduating :clap: from Univ of :rainbow:Hawaii on the same day... Hopefully the next one!

Sounds like this is going to be another awesome trip I have to miss... :crybaby: But my son is graduating :clap: from Univ of :rainbow:Hawaii on the same day... Hopefully the next one!

Congratulations to your son, big day for you both.

I am going to miss this run as well, sorry Pete. We are headed to Duke University for my sons roommates graduation and to do some sight seeing in NC.

Gentlemen - wishing you safe travels! We will update you with the pictures.

The trail is open for business!! :clap:
I pre-ran this with ftbshop (Lauren and his pooch Ricky (if I remembered his dogs name correctly) and Chrismanjs (Chris and his GF Alyssa) yesterday. Absolutely perfect day as you can see in the below teaser shots. The trail condition is very good with no washouts, etc. We cut and broke back a tree limbs and smaller branches that hung out into the trail, but some AZ pin-striping will be unavoidable due to all of the brush. It’s going to be a great run next weekend!
Trucks included : 2002 4 Runner, 2007 FJC and my 97 LC. All made it up the trail w/o issue.

The views out into the landscape are amazing

upload_2016-5-8_8-19-27.png

upload_2016-5-8_8-20-3.png

upload_2016-5-8_8-20-38.png

upload_2016-5-8_8-21-22.png

upload_2016-5-8_8-18-19.png

The trail is open for business!! :clap:
I pre-ran this with ftbshop (Lauren and his pooch Ricky (if I remembered his dogs name correctly) and Chrismanjs (Chris and his GF Alyssa) yesterday. Absolutely perfect day as you can see in the below teaser shots. The trail condition is very good with no washouts, etc. We cut and broke back a tree limbs and smaller branches that hung out into the trail, but some AZ pin-striping will be unavoidable due to all of the brush. It’s going to be a great run next weekend!
Trucks included : 2002 4 Runner, 2007 FJC and my 97 LC. All made it up the trail w/o issue.

The views out into the landscape are amazing

View attachment 1254912

View attachment 1254913

View attachment 1254914

View attachment 1254915

View attachment 1254911
We are stoked for our first ROTM, looks amazing!

How bad is the pinstriping? This is important and determines vehicle selection! ;)

http://api.***.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_146276530364310&key=adf0a72d922ed160d68ae75920f384de&libId=inzgmzce010004j4000DAd6ta8tzg&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.ih8mud.com%2Fthreads%2Fmay-rotm-2016-mount-ord.917636%2Fpage-3%23post-10357944&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fi1312.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ft536%2Fpkweinert%2Fimage_zpskvro8qsy.jpeg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.ih8mud.com%2Fforums%2Faz-copper-state-cruisers.25%2F&title=May%20ROTM%202016%20-%20Mount%20Ord%20%7C%20Page%203%20%7C%20IH8MUD%20Forum&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fi1312.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ft536%2Fpkweinert%2Fimage_zpskvro8qsy.jpeg

My 80 got it worst. Lauren and Chris in the 4Runner and fjc not so much. May have been the lines I was picking. It will not be avoidable so I would not bring a cream puff. I'm pretty sure that it will buff right out one day....

Thx for the trail prep. Truly a pro at setting up your rotm!

Looking forward to this weekend :cool:

Thank you @verruckt1 for the beautiful pics and the prep! We can't wait! It may be a long day trip for us, the deck project continues but we are super jazzed about our first rotm trip! Sounds like the 200 may sit this one out :crybaby: but @wtmtnterror is prepping the 100 this Friday with new springs to play! :clap: we can't wait to meet you all!! I hope no one has peanut allergies to homemade peanutbutter cookies...this is a mom talking...

How bad is the pinstriping? This is important and determines vehicle selection! ;)
I also got pretty bad pinstriping. But the worst was probably the side trail we took latter on in the day on our way out.

Sounds like a great run, Pete. I hate that I'm going to miss it. I've yet to make it to the fire tower on one of these runs. I look forward to seeing the pics!

Picked up my Delco VC120 Charcoal Canister this afternoon on the way home and will be in for this run. I hope to get to installing it one of these afternoons after work which preps me for Sat/Sun. Looking forward to camping, and hope you guys scouted out some good spots. The fire tower tour will be the first for me at this location, as well.

Greetings All, I've owned my 80 for about 3 weeks now and I'm thinking of joining the CSC. Looks like you have a good thing going. A couple quick questions about this run: 1) is it open to non-members and 2) anybody making a day trip out of it?
Thanks in advance and keep up the good work.

We are planning on a day trip coming from northern AZ...

I was planning on making this trip, but now I have to be on call this weekend for work. I don't think I could make it into work in 30 mins from there.

Next time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom