Matching keys for doors and ignition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new here and sorry if this is a repeat of a previous post. I would like to know if there is a way to purchase door locks and ignition switch with like keys? Or if there is a way to get them changed to all take the same key? I have a 1978 with NON locking steering column.
Thank you.

Do you have one key that works already? The key cut combination is on the passenger door lock tumbler (the driver's door, gas door, and ignition do not have the number if I remember correctly). You can take that combo and have a matching key cut. If you are trying to buy new locks and ignition to match you can post up in the classifieds or check ebay.

I have the same vehicle. What I did was to remove the ignition lock, which is really easy to do, and take it to a locksmith with the key for the doors. He rekeyed the ignition lock to match the doors. The gas tank lock is also easy to remove, if you need that rekeyed.

I have a set for sale. What style fuel door do you have? Square or elongated?

rear door will still use a different key than side door or ignition

rear door will still use a different key than side door or ignition

Yep, and that's how they were when new. The rear must not have room for the locks used for side and gas door, or something.

I am new here and sorry if this is a repeat of a previous post. I would like to know if there is a way to purchase door locks and ignition switch with like keys? Or if there is a way to get them changed to all take the same key? I have a 1978 with NON locking steering column.
Thank you.

New OEM available here.

I do
I have the same vehicle. What I did was to remove the ignition lock, which is really easy to do, and take it to a locksmith with the key for the doors. He rekeyed the ignition lock to match the doors. The gas tank lock is also easy to remove, if you need that rekeyed.
have a complete new set. But I will have to remove the steering lock like you point out. I thank you.

Larry - Check out @Racer65 subscript line above "Parts Store" and be ready to fork over a few extra bank-notes for some great goodies and money well spent!

Now he just needs to get that OEM floor mat project back on track.... ;)

I do

have a complete new set. But I will have to remove the steering lock like you point out. I thank you.
If all you need is one or two to match a the others, remove them and have them rekeyed at a locksmith. Not a big deal.

DSCF0214D.jpg
I don't think it matters.
I could not get the locking ignition barrel to go into the column.

Thanks Larry....I just talk to Racer65 recently and he tried to put it in his for me and he said it fits...But his is 1980 40 and mine is 77 so I was not sure if it will or not fit....So little fabrication needs to be done for older trucks anyway looks like

I did n
Thanks Larry....I just talk to Racer65 recently and he tried to put it in his for me and he said it fits...But his is 1980 40 and mine is 77 so I was not sure if it will or not fit....So little fabrication needs to be done for older trucks anyway looks like
I do not have a locking steering column. If you do then it may fit yours.

I don't have a locking column but neither him...but it fits in his....I heard that only locking columns are in 83s and up FJ 40 models...

Updating this thread.

The lock set works for '75 and up. It does not matter if you have steering lock. The original ignition cylinder for non-locking steering is the same part number (69064-60021) from '73 onward. I've tested the "with steering lock" version from this set on my '80 and it works perfectly. There should be no difference for any of the other years in this range.

The door locks are specifically for '75 and up.

The fuel door lock is for '79 and later; however, you can use it on a '75 to '78 fuel door by orienting it 180 degrees from the original position. The only consequence is that you'll turn the key in the counter-clockwise direction to unlock instead of clockwise; really no big deal.

Gas door lock needs new lock tab for a 77. Have not addressed this issue. Need to get a tab from a 79 to duplicate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom