Manzanita Wood BBQ chips

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Got Cruiser?, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Got Cruiser?

Got Cruiser? Off-Road Parts Accessories and Clothing

For those of you out there who loves to B-B-Q, try using Manzanita Wood BBQ Chips. Here's the site

http://www.manzanitawood.net

2. Deep South Cruisers

Deep South Cruisers

Never heard of it... apple and cherry wood only.

3. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily... SILVER Star

How's it different than the hickory or mesquite I chips I currently use? Or the apple, cherry, or pecan chunks that I have from my local orchards?

Not busting balls, just curious. How would you describe the smoke?

I suppose I could hack off some manzanita the next time I'm in the Nat'l forest and try it myself...

I would've picked up the "free" sample, but 4.25 seems steep for shipping and handling on a freebie.

4. calamaridog

calamaridog

Manzanita is a protected plant in CA. I wouldn't recommend "hacking" any off:rolleyes:

5. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Only if you get caught.

6. NorCalDoug

Well whaddaya know...
    It sure is now protected.

Man...what ever happened to the good ol' days when you could hack off a chunk of nasty manzanita???

Seems that land development is the main cause of its threatened status -- bulldozers should be outlawed. :flipoff2:

7. White Shark

White Shark

I have a friend who is clearing acres of manzanita for fire breaks. The stuff grows like weeds. It burns super hot too. It will actually dry out the mortar in a fireplace and cause it to crack.

8. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Ummmmm.....Mr. President......how do you think they still make money on the deal. hehehe :doh: One of the oldest marketing scams....here try XXXXX for FREE, just $$$$ for shipping and handling (not said is that S&H is three times what it actually cost them in labor/overhead to process (handling), pack and ship (shipping)).

Just busting your nuts Mr. President. :cheers: When are you going to announce your VP and cabinet so we can start flaming away. :flipoff2:

9. NorCalDoug

I know. I was pointing out the obvious. I'll use the similar tactics...errr...techniques when I open up my eBay store next month...

10. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

and what is you are dumping...selling???....tours of Sacramento in the middle of the summer w/o air conditioning?

11. NorCalDoug

holy thread hijack batman!!!

Initially, I think higher end knives and kitchen cutlery.
    Maybe some pelican cases. Possibly some other stuff...you need some pepper spray? ;)

Sacto tours are free of charge. :D

12. calamaridog

calamaridog

Let me clarify. I believe it is still protected on public land against being harvested. Manzanita is beautiful and the older large plants were cut down for wood products which is why you couldn't harvest it on public land. Don't know for sure if this is still true?

So your friend is clearing some out? Sounds like he should chip it into some bags and sell it for BBQ.

13. White Shark

White Shark

He's a big 4x4 guy and is clearing the stuff to make firebreaks and some trails on some insane terrain. I have access to as much of this stuff as I can cut. The local 4x4 Club did a trail cleaing day and BBQ up at his place a few weeks ago. Manzanita is certainly beautiful, but man, is it ever hard on tools!

I'll mention the chipping thing and see if he is interested. I might be able to get some cut into sections for shipping if you're interested. I don't own a chipper....yet.....that is on the list of things CookieMonster and I plan on getting in the future.

Most of the chips for BBQ's are pretty fine sized anyway. I'll be cutting down a ton of English Walnut trees in the next few weeks. They would make for good chips as well, but I've never tried them in a BBQ as they might have too much tanin in the wood.

14. calamaridog

calamaridog

I would be interested in 2, 4, or 6 pieces that are straight as possible, about 12-18" long, and about 2-4" thick. These would be used for a super secret project;) Nothing kinky, I promise:doh:

Not easy dimensions due to the nature of the trees.

I would gladly pay a finders fee of $5 each plus shipping...

Any large pieces of Manzanita with interesting twists, etc. may be worth something to a local artist. The wood is real nice when it is polished and such.

And I was kidding about making BBQ chips but you should certainly try it out.