Mammoth Lakes area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The wife and I would like to visit the Mammoth Lakes area next week. A lot of the campgrounds are pretty booked and most sites are stacked tight like fine china. We don't need all the amenities like a toilet and showers. I'd like to find a quiet, safe place. My tacoma is very capable. On the west side of the Sierras near Shaver and Huntington Lakes we never camp in "formal" designated campgrounds. Any ideas?

This is on the east side, but possibly check out the Virginia Lakes area. 15-20 min north of Lee Vining and just off hwy 395. There are FREE FS campgrounds in the area.

John

Coyote Flats West of Bishop

South-West of Mammoth, is Laurel Lakes

Thanks!

Decided to visit Edison Lake and Mono Hot springs. Lots of hikers on the John Muir Trail. A wild storm hammered us Sunday afternoon, had to sit it out for two hours in the truck. Lightning strike nearby sparked a small fire. Had a great time.
IMG_3124.JPG
IMG_3138.JPG
IMG_3149.JPG
IMG_3149.JPG

hey, that's my spot!!! say hi to my grandparents for me at the high sierra station...

Thanks for keeping it in perfect shape!!

I wish I could say it was me...

I think it is a 4 pole REI Hobitat and is no longer made. It was replaced by a newer design.

Good eye Bogo! Excellent tent for warm weather. Have had it almost 10 years. Seriously considering a JB hardshell RTT for quick setup/takedown.

It was on my short list when I was thinking of replacing my ancient 8'x8' Coleman canvas tent.

On our last day a big thunderstorm came through and lasted for over 2 hours. Water, hail and even snow. Everything got soaked that was on the ground in the tent. It would be nice to get above the ground for a change. Expensive upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom