M416 axle swap...interested in your old axle parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bloomer

SILVER Star
Threads
Just past the middle of nowhere in South Texas
I've weighed my options for replacing the axle on my 1967 M416 with a Dexter axle or search for an original brake drum to replace one that is cracked on my trailer. My preference is to tstay original. I've searched what I feel like is relentlessly and have had 0 luck finding a brake drum. If you're swapping out your original axle and willing to part it out, I'd be interested in your brake drums. Please PM me if you have one and may be interested in parting with it.

Moderators...I placed this post here since this wasn't a for sale ad and figured most folks would be researching axles here. If inappropriate, please feel free to move or delete. Thanks!

Last edited:
I've weighed my options for replacing the axle on my 1967 M416 with a Dexter axle or search for an original brake drum to replace one that is cracked on my trailer. My preference is to tstay original. I've searched what I feel like is relentlessly and have had 0 luck finding a brake drum. If you're swapping out your original axle and willing to part it out, I'd be interested in your brake drums. Please PM me if you have one and may be interested in parting with it.

Moderators...I placed this post here since this wasn't a for sale ad and figured most folks would be researching axles here. If inappropriate, please feel free to move or delete. Thanks!

MB GPW M151 M38 CJ Willys Ford WII MV M151 Brake Drum, NOS 7025887

Should work (same part no.), used $10 :) TNJ Murray: Military vehicles and parts surplus - BRAKE DRUM GOOD TAKE OFF M151A1 better ask them, though.

Last edited:
Thought I found one at TNJ but unfortunately was for an A1. Thanks for the lead but search continues.

For $10 I still think it is the same part. m416 used many part off early jeeps. I'll bet you the price and shipping over a 12 pack of good beer :) if you order.

Surely someone over on steelsoldiers would know things like this. Or at least have an old one on hand for measurement.

Well, after pulling the wheel and examining more closely, the M151 brake drum does appear to be slightly different than the M416. The face of the M416 brake drum appears to protrude out slightly as you move towards the center while the M151 is completely flat.

I saw an advertisement for another M151 brake drum that looked identical and it said it would fit the M416. Since I pull this trailer long distances, I decided not to risk it and pulled the axle this evening. Plan to take it and the M151 brake drum to a trailer shop tomorrow and get their opinion. I'll either find out it will work or order a new Dexter axle if not.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
M151 brake drum didn't work. Ended up ordering a Dexter axle.

Still interested in an original brake drum if anyone does an axle swap and willing to part with it. Plan on keeping the axle to eventually (hopefully) install back on the M416. Will use the new axle when this happens for another project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom