M12000 rebuild...a few questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Firstly, how the heck do you get these two parts separated? We have tried everything from gently tapping with a hammer to trying to dissolve the seal with acetone. There is nothing but a rubber seal holding them together. I cannot get a screwdriver in between the two parts to pry them. We even warmed it up to about 100 degrees fahrenheit.

Xpd0Dfp.jpg

Secondly, on most of the M12000 diagrams the "top" of the motor is supposed to come out of the housing. Pretty sure ours does not. Am I wrong?

qXlU9HJ.jpg

We had to ram the brake out of the drum relatively violently. It simply would not come unstuck, period, so we put a wooden dowel in there and slammed the entire drum down on it repeatedly until the brake assembly came out. We will probably need a new one.

We took down the motor. Is that gum supposed to be there?

MgMas0E.jpg

Finally, just for fun, be careful using impact tools on the solenoid terminal. Oops. New solenoids it is...

elgvCFb.jpg

Answers:

Those two pieces will come apart...keep trying!

The side plate carries the bearing, the motor does not have an end cap on that side on your version. There is an industrial version of the 12000 (called MIL-12000) which is different. See here: http://www.hummernetworkforums.com/files/warn_manua_for_repair_of_mil_12000l_715.pdf

That "gum" is an epoxy. I am pretty sure it is used for balancing. I have seen that on a lot of armatures.

Math,

I just stumbled your post above, as I also can't separate the M12000 housing from the gear drum, as shown in your first picture above. How did you able to take them apart? I tried everything as you did, but they still won't come apart. I spent hours trying but still not successful. I don't know what else to try.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom