M12000 in pieces. What powder coat to use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have a powder coat gun and an oven. It's currently at an engine shop getting cleaned up. Is this powder coating something we want to do ourselves? We bought the gun for giggles - we are not professionals at all. Should we get it done professionally, or should we do it ourselves? Any recommendations on what stupid-tough powder we should use? We don't care much how it looks. Thanks.

Personally I would be more apt to use a good epoxy primer and some paint that I could do a touch up with later. Not so easy to touch up powder coat.

We're terrible painters and touching up an M12000 is pretty hard - getting an ARB + M12000 off the truck is very difficult alone. Wouldn't powder coat be more durable? Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Powder coat is very durable but like @half k cruiser said it can be very hard to touch up. I have a pc'd front bumper and I often use a satin black paint/primer to do any touch-ups. The bumper would have to come off ewhetger you went pc or paint so it just seems like it'd make more sense to get it powder coated while you're at it.

Any specific powder I should try, or leave it to the professional?

I have had problems with powder coated parts where everything looks good and one day it starts peeling off in big chunks and you realize it's been rusting underneath for years. And that was commercial parts from a major company. So may not be as easy as one might think. It may be good to have it be done by somebody (maybe you of course) who knows what he's doing if it's a part (winch?) that is hard to get off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom