m12000 full rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just thought I'd post back to confirm that everything works. I changed out the bearing and put it all back together. She's not quiet but doesn't have that dried rusty screeching that was present when I first got her. All in all I'm very pleased. Total spend was about $950 to get where I am today and hopefully I won't have to do all this again for a very long time. Of course now I need to get a bumper and fairlead but all in due time.

BTW, I used POR15 on the drum, I'd like to know if I should scuff it with 180 grit prior to rolling the cable back on. The POR15 is pretty slick but probably after 4 or 5 wraps the tension around the drum that won't matter, right?

It is nice to take something old and make it new again. Good work. I cheated though. I found a brand new in box (still factory wrapping and ties) M12,000 on local Craigslist for $1200CAD. Talked the seller to $1000CAD. I guess he was motivated to sell.

I figured I'd wrap up this thread since I finally mounted the winch and spooled the wire back on. One less thing to get done before GSMTR.

winch (1).jpg

winch (2).jpg

winch (3).jpg

Arg...winch stopped working mid pull over the weekend. I pulled it off the truck and tried jumping the terminals and couldn't get the motor to turn. Solenoids all tested ok. I haven't pulled the motor off the winch yet to look at it. Anyone have any ideas of what to look for?

Which terminals did you "jump"? To test the motor, put 12V+ to one of the two F terminals that are together on the side of the motor closest to the drum. Connect the other F terminal to the A terminal, which is the single terminal on the free end of the motor. Connect the motor case to ground and the motor should run. Reverse the F terminal connections and the motor should turn the other direction.

Which terminals did you "jump"? To test the motor, put 12V+ to one of the two F terminals that are together on the side of the motor closest to the drum. Connect the other F terminal to the A terminal, which is the single terminal on the free end of the motor. Connect the motor case to ground and the motor should run. Reverse the F terminal connections and the motor should turn the other direction.

Yeah this is how I did it. It's almost like there's a short somewhere but I don't know what, where and how to test to narrow down the scope.

The brush plate needed replacing and now I'm back in action. The customer service at Warn has been phenomenal. Thanks again Mike! You got a customer for life here.

Does anyone know the bolt size/thread pitch for the single holes on the top of each side of the frame? I snapped a winch line my last trip out and when I went to wind on the replacement synthetic line one of the solenoids blew. Instead of fooling with the solenoids and replacing that 60 year old technology I went with Warn's newer Albright-based contactor control pack. Unfortunately they don't give you the bolt to attach the supplied bracket to the frame. So anyway, I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone knows the bolt spec so I don't have to lug the winch down to Ace and test fit a bunch of bolts in the parking lot.

This is the hole I'm looking for the thread pitch on. Even if someone could nature it disc to metric out SAE would be helpful.

tmp_12381-IMG_20150922_092147251-1862488750.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom