LX470 Cabin Air Filter Replacement DIY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just like Arya and UAEGUY, I just looked in my 03 TLC and nothing.

Tabraha, I'll try and get a picture as I am really interested in finding how to change this in the 03.

Also, I really have found this board helpful in the 2 days I have been a LC owner so thanks for all the helpful information

Greg

I just changed my in-cabin filters and they didn't look too dirty but of course, I can't see the micro particles. Does anybody know the recommended replacement interval?

gpringle said:
Just like Arya and UAEGUY, I just looked in my 03 TLC and nothing.

Tabraha, I'll try and get a picture as I am really interested in finding how to change this in the 03.

Also, I really have found this board helpful in the 2 days I have been a LC owner so thanks for all the helpful information

Greg

Greg, welcome to the board. If you have an '03 then you do have the slot for these most likely. Look in the very first post of the thread that has the step by step directions and you'll see a link to my website that has the pictures to help walk you through checking them and installing them. So far the '04 and later is the only model still in question. From the posts so far 98's - 03's have all had the spot just that some had no filters in there. The procedure is the same for 98-03 model years.

hoser said:
I just changed my in-cabin filters and they didn't look too dirty but of course, I can't see the micro particles. Does anybody know the recommended replacement interval?

Mine were pretty grungy but I didn't change them till way past 100,000 miles. :) It can't be too terribly often. I would guess no more frequent than 30-60k if driven in normal conditions.

I thought I remember seeing 15K as the change interval for the cabin filter...it might have been in the factory Toyota filter box/instructions?

I still am having problems finding the filters in my 03 LC. Here is a pic of what I am looking at. Ideas?

I appreciate any help

Greg
DSC00210.JPG

Weird...that looks completely different than my '99LC. I would say if it was meant to have filters they would have to be under the entire plastic cover? I wonder what the two hex bolt heads on the (right side) are for?

Can you go to the Lexus dealer parts dept. and look at the exploded parts view to maybe get a clue what is underneath the cover?

Reminds me that I went to the local Toyoter Pahts Depahtmint a couple a years ago asking for cabin filters. I thought that the Toyota TLC brochures had mentioned that as a feature. Pahts guy said "no such thing for TLC". Did not even suggest they carried them for the LX470 though. Bahstids!

Will check our 2000 TLC for the little filter door. Already ordered some filters from SparkPlugs.com. Maybe the filters will show up when the Starter Motor terminal/Contacts Kits arrive. I could make a whole day out of working on Wifey's car. Hmmmm....Need to buy some beer.

Thanks a million for posting the LX470 filter info, and for the curious TLC folks who asked the questions and brought this feature to light. Now that's what I call a good forum.

spressomon said:
I thought I remember seeing 15K as the change interval for the cabin filter...it might have been in the factory Toyota filter box/instructions?

Just checked the lexus service specs and you were closer than me. It says every 10k miles!!! There's no way this boy is changing cabin filters every 10,000 miles.

I read from an independent Toyota service shop, their recommended interval was:

Inspect at 15k, Replace at 30K.

gpringle,
Looks like they molded closed the opening. You could replace the entire piece w/ an older part # or the LX part. Doesn't look hard to take out and replace, it's just plastic so hopefully it doesnt cost alot.
You also might be able to dremel/cut the hole and buy the filter tray to slide in...?

I think my filter is suppossed to be replaced every 10k also... but maybe just use a blow gun (opposite direction of airflow) to clean it out and replace later. It should be kept up tho, b/c it will reduce efficiency and make your AC work harder if you neglect the filter.

Rugster said:
Just put my filters in... The filters supplied to me were made by DENSO.. Part No. 453-1001

Go to http://www.densoproducts.com and put in that part number...

Thanks for a link. Just got a filters and it fit fine in my '99 LC.

I also order a pair of wipers (Denso Enduro Vision). They are a bit longer then Bosch crap I had (passenger side is much longer then driver side), but it fit fine too. Not raining today to test them properly but I hope it will work OK.

filters installed

Our 2000/03 build UZJ100 looked just like the picture in Rugster's post. It was pretty clean inside.

Did anybody mention you have to push down on the bottom filter to make it SNAP into place before you can slide the second one on top?

The Denso filter media is not too thick. Looks like the prefilter in our Panasonic window AC. Enough to keep the rough dust out, but pollen will get through. Better than nothing though.

Denso has the filters priced around $25 now. Plus shipping I'd suppose. I wonder if I could just take a cheap home hepa filter and cut it to size for the compartment? That way buy one large $15 filter and it would last for years. My 99 LC has the compartment, but no filters btw.

Need a plastic frame, I think...

The filter compartment has certain dimensions and tracks to hold the filters like Denso makes. The filters are a plastic mostly-rectangular frame holding the media, so that one can sit on top of another. The door opening is just slightly larger than the filter height. When stacked in the airbox, they block the opening so that air must pass through them.

I think if you pushed some charcoal or gauze filter media in the slot, you would not cover the entire area the air flows through. So it might not help you strain much.

Try searching the Denso site again and see if they direct you to a different on-line partner/distributor. I was directed to "Sparkplugs.com" and the packing slip/receipt had a letterhead from "Monarch Industries" in California. I bought 4 filters (they come in pairs). Maybe you can try going there directly. Were you also directed to Sparkplugs.com by the Denso site?

It looks like to me that the filters go directly next to the metal mesh intake on the left side of the filter opening. I think maybe if I cut the filter material slightly large, that it might seal up pretty well. Maybe not. I just don't want to spend $30 every six months or so on cabin filters. I found a filter at Lowes today for $9 that is designed to be cut to size. It claims to filter pollen, smoke, etc. It had a charcoal pre-filter as well for odors. I'll be the guinea pig and try it out. Anything is probably better than the nothing I had before!

2001 with no opening for ac filter

I immediately ordered two denso filters knowing since I have a 2001 100 series, I would have the 'door'. After I received the filters, I discovered I have no filter door access?!

so, not all 98-03's have a place to install the filters.

See above...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom