LX470 Cabin Air Filter Replacement DIY (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is there anyway to see if my 2005 LC has filter slots Without opening the compartments? Like through car's VIN or other numbers?

It's a two minute job to get to. Two bolts on the bottom of the glove box. Remove the box and you're looking at the side of the evaporator housing where filter slots would be.

Is there anyway to see if my 2005 LC has filter slots
Without opening the compartments?
Like through car's VIN or other numbers?

My 05 didn't have the slots. I made slots and it works no issues. I did order the door/hatch for the filters, the panel has a holder for the door. I used a combination of a dremel and keyhole saw. Did it on Thanksgiving morning before the family was up lol. Honestly all you do is remove the glove box, it's pretty easy to do. Like half banana task.

Just download the pdf Factory Service Manual (FSM) see the FAQs.

checked my 2000 LC today and sure enough have the slots but no filters. it looked really clean in there so i'm leaning towards not putting in any filters primarily due to the fact that i live in dallas and cfm output in the summer is pretty important. one issue i do have with the ventilation is when the AC is on and say i park for a few hours and then turn the car back on there is a really musty smell for about 30 seconds or so until the AC pushes the air through (on an earlier reply someone said 'smells like ass' and that is the best way to explain it). do you guys think adding filters would help this? if i turn the AC off but leave the fan running for a few minutes before i turn the car off then i typically dont have the smell which leads me to beleive that condensation is building in the ducts which is causing the musty smell.

I did this upgrade on my 2006. I don't get a lot of dust, etc in Denver, but I was AMAZED how much stuff the filters trapped when I changed them out at 30K. Simple upgrade and better air into the cabin. No brainer for me...

Took the glove box off my '01 and found it doesn't have the door or slot.

dogdaysindurham: When you dremeled it, did you take the panel out of the car to do it or did you do it while still mounted in the car? Also do you have the part number for the door?

coguy: did you do the same re: cutting out the panel? As we're both local to each other i'd be curious to see how you did it. :) Not afraid of Dremeling but I'd like to do it right.

I also removed my blower fan (one small twig in it but that was it) as it's making a clicking noise and also stuck my hand up into the airbox where the filters go and felt what feels like a metallic-style filter, almost like a radiator. Is that a non-replaceable filter in mine or something? Thanks.

Rob, love your site, perused it many times while still in the market for a LC - thanks. :)

Edit: upon examining that diagram I guess my hand was hitting the evaporator unit. Alright, time for a project.

Just jumped on the ban wagon... Went to O'rileys Auto Parts and picked up the LX470 filters. Went home and installed em... They fit perfect and i was surprised that there was not more crap when I vacuumed it out.

details: 1 box, 2 filters, 20 bucks, 20 min (with vacuuming and all)

If someones keeping a tally (my 2000 LC had the hatch/door already cut out)

Good to hear you can just run down to O'Reilly's for the filters. I might just do that myself! I never thought my little DIY write-up would run this long. :clap:

Just jumped on the ban wagon... Went to O'rileys Auto Parts and picked up the LX470 filters. Went home and installed em... They fit perfect and i was surprised that there was not more **** when I vacuumed it out.

details: 1 box, 2 filters, 20 bucks, 20 min (with vacuuming and all)

If someones keeping a tally (my 2000 LC had the hatch/door already cut out)

$20 - thanks for the tip, going to keep that in mind on next changeover.

Good to hear you can just run down to O'Reilly's for the filters. I might just do that myself! I never thought my little DIY write-up would run this long. :clap:

You're a hero @tabraha - one of the best/easiest mods to these rigs IMO.

Last edited:
2003 Land Cruiser. No slot. Pulled the cover off (8 screws). No filters.

Bought the newer style cover that has the slot and the door. Also bought 2 filters. Put the whole mess back together. We'll see how it all goes.

:)

Will somebody PLEASE be so kind to give me the exact part number for the DENSO Cabin filter for a 2000 Land Cruiser which I know I will have to buy two of them. Also if you have a website(s) you recommend that I purchase them from that would be even greater. I have found the TOYOTA OEM part #88568-60010 and sold on Amazon (did NOT check to see who had the best price.) Finally would some of you guys and gals tell me which one is better to buy - the DENSE or TOYOTA OEM? I looked for one with some charcoal in it and was unable to find cabin filters than contained it. So maybe there is a third company i do NOT know about and that is the best one to buy now. I have A LOT of Dust and Dirt on my daily commute, so I need to change this problem since my interior looks like a dust storm went through it on a regular basis. Thank you for any help or words of advice
CJ Johnson
Semper Fi
HooYah

If you want it today or tomorrow, go to O'Reillys and request the filters for a 2000 Lexus LX470. If they don't have them in stock, they can have them this afternoon or tomorrow. Microguard filters are $24 for a set of two, Wix filters are $35 each. (Need 2)

2003 Land Cruiser. No slot. Pulled the cover off (8 screws). No filters.

Bought the newer style cover that has the slot and the door. Also bought 2 filters. Put the whole mess back together. We'll see how it all goes.

:)

How is it going?
What parts for the newer style?

I am still reseacrhing the many different types and companies that "SAY" their filter will fit. So I am still in the process of narrowing down to somethhing that I think is going to both fit perfect and be from a quality company.
CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom