LX450 is not a Prius but should not be awful like that (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I have an LX450! 1996 Model with 1FZ-FE (gasoline).
I have 4" lift, 35 inch Tires Mud Terrain. Stock Gears.
My MPG is around 7.5.
Changed the plugs, clean the TB, Air Flows, and all the Air or throttle system.

I wish to have at least 9 or 10MPG if possible.
I planned to bring the truck to a specialized Car Electric Garage to run a full check of anything that could be wrong with the Eletric cable or system.

What is your thought on that? What Should I look for to better a little better milage of that Heavy butt? or this is COMPLETLY normal and I just need to live with it.

Also the Engine have a WHINING sound when I gas it up around 40mph + and the whine got louder and louder when the speed and gas pedal increase if I depressed the pedal the Noise is Gone!

Hi,

I have an LX450! 1996 Model with 1FZ-FE (gasoline).
I have 4" lift, 35 inch Tires Mud Terrain. Stock Gears.
My MPG is around 7.5.
Changed the plugs, clean the TB, Air Flows, and all the Air or throttle system.

I wish to have at least 9 or 10MPG if possible.
I planned to bring the truck to a specialized Car Electric Garage to run a full check of anything that could be wrong with the Eletric cable or system.

What is your thought on that? What Should I look for to better a little better milage of that Heavy butt? or this is COMPLETLY normal and I just need to live with it.

Also the Engine have a WHINING sound when I gas it up around 40mph + and the whine got louder and louder when the speed and gas pedal increase if I depressed the pedal the Noise is Gone!

If you have 35"s, stock gears, and a heavy right foot I wouldn't expect to see above 10 mpg. The difference between 7 mpg and 10 mpg could be completely determined by speed and terrain. When I tow trailers with my LX at highway speeds (33"s and 2-3K lb trailer) I am down in the 8-10mpg range. The truck is not a Prius :^) and was never intended to be.

Whistling on heavy acceleration is normal and stops when you let up on the throttle. Not sure if that is your whine or not.

What part of Cambodia are you in? I lived in Thailand for several years in the 90's and love that part of the world.

My guess is you don't get enough speed to get the torque converter to lock up and sty that way at constant speed.
See level, flat terrain, constant speed (no RPM fluctuation) should get you above 10MPG.
Passing cars, going up and down hills, lower speeds than 55MPH, will kill your MPG. Just like city driving.

Check the transmission fluid. It's possible the tranny is running hotter than normal. Maybe that's where the sound comes from too. Of course there are other possible causes too.

I am averaging about 22L/100 kms (uncorrected) on my Toyo 315s and stk gears., but try to keep it light on the skinny pedal incl reduced speed on highway most of the time. Believe that translates to approx 11.5 USGM (corrected).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom