Loud, tire rotation speed buzzing from front/right part of LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Holy Bat****! I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but you could not be in better hands now!

Late in the day yesterday, I talked to Kevin on the phone about the helicoiled trunion bolthole:bang: I found doing my knuckles. Kevin gave a brief digest of your problems, but I had no idea that they were in the middle of this kind of nightmare. I was not happy to hear that "How to fix" turns out to be "Where to find a passenger knuckle housing".:bang: I was feeling kinda sick about it, then I wake up this morning and read the gory details of your experience as documented by Kevin. I must say, I'm feeling much better now.

I've done knuckle jobs a couple of times now. I'm not a mechanic. There are some good write-ups on Mud about how to do it right. I had everything clean and painted, ready to go back together. I slipped on the housing, got the trunions seated, w/bearing retainers in place, and got the bearing retainer bolts just barely tight, slapped in the birf, and a big gob of grease, cleaned my hands and went looking for the torque specs for the knuckle studs and the torque wrench. Started tightening to 71ft/lbs. Without too much pressure one of the top trunion bolt spun. WTF! I pulled it out and there was this springy thing around the threads. I knew what it was for, just couldn't remember the frickin name for it, Helicoil, that's right. Again, I'm not a mechanic, and not much experience with these things, so I called Kevin - the guru of all things Land Cruiser and got the low down.

I feel at least some of your pain. Maybe we can do a group buy on Monday?

Later,
Trent

I have said it before. I have been on a lot of car forums, and mud still takes the cake for guys that are willing to jump up and help out. I know it is a lot of the veterans and the same names come up over and over, I sure hope that the newer Land Cruiser enthusiasts are taking note and that it isn't a trend that stops when all you old guys die off. :flipoff2:

BZ to all involved.

You are not attempting to justify, insinuate that any of this is OK,,, right?:eek: I could see and would do what you say for a trail repair, this wasn't sold or billed as a quick fix.

Nope, I was stating birfield can be installed without disturbing those grease. More details are needed to justify and insinuate what you suggested.

I'm sitting here, drinking a delicious adult beverage, pretty much ignoring the "Big Game" while still geeking a bit about what a tough rig a Land Cruiser is. There was a ton of critical system failure potentials that did not happen. There was very little actually holding the wheel assembly on. Combine that with nearly zero lube and multiply that with crossing two mountain ranges and the Mojave desert, at night, in a rain storm.

Crap.

What an incredible feat of engineering and metallurgy.

And when it finally crapped the bed, for the second time in four days, it appears as if most of the systems survived the trauma, and will be returned to service, with the major additional parts killed by direct mechanic abuse, and not by driving it.

Sorry to hear of your troubles...enjoyed reading your blog about the events...

Crikey! That is some hack work. Glad Kevin and crew were able to help you out :cool:

The cruiser is strong that's for sure. Look up threads of wheel bearings that where destroyed and the owners had been driving for a long time. Or blown Hg's that ppl put in bahrs leak and drive for a couple yrs. or how there are TONS of cruisers out there well over 200k miles up to 400k.!!!! Not many autos can say the same.

The cruiser is strong that's for sure. Look up threads of wheel bearings that where destroyed and the owners had been driving for a long time. Or blown Hg's that ppl put in bahrs leak and drive for a couple yrs. or how there are TONS of cruisers out there well over 200k miles up to 400k.!!!! Not many autos can say the same.

My introduction to the LC was in the third world. That's an eye opener, for sure.

Did you end up ordering the housing from CBT?

I ended up buying a complete axle assembly from Kevin. Spent yesterday with them pulling the old, crappy one out and putting the new one in. Turns out the mechanic also reinstalled the front drive shaft backwards, so it was rubbing on the anti-sway bar.

More pics:

10965668_10205159787108740_1794845907_n.jpg

Donor car and Marjan, the wounded Land Cruiser

10966743_10205159879111040_2095129634_n.jpg

Really cherry front axle assembly

10957451_10205161079381046_2130779654_n.jpg

Old assembly out

10965438_10205161187623752_1141603557_n.jpg

In with the new. At this point, unbeknownst to us the last floor jack in the house started peeing fluid

10966490_10205160459205542_1358865931_n.jpg

Note to aspiring ASE mechanics: Anything that rotates should not rub on stuff when installed.

10967080_10205160391043838_1082575609_n.jpg

If you have to hammer on one of these to make them fit, you're probably putting it on upside down and backwards.

961449_10205162669140789_1214952853_n.jpg

Getting closer....

10951462_10205162999669052_1679602398_n.jpg

End of a long day. Dang, I'm impressed with the attention and care they gave to me and my Land Cruiser.

Isn't this Landcruiser community great or what! Met Tools at Moab a year or two ago. Impressed then about his knowledge of our beasts. Kudos to both these guys for giving up their weekend (and beyond?) to help you out.

:cool: Rosy - Just like a stray female cat - the Cruiser that keeps on giving! :)

Kevin, thanks for the tip on removing the tie rod ends, BFH and a diesel bath worked great!

She's starting to pout a little bit every time they move her. The stalling out on startup reminds me of a toddler screaming, "no! I don't wanna!"

Today was a Land Cruiser reunion at the shop.

10955934_10205165697856505_491398995_n.jpg

Marjan looks a tad, um, "short" parked there.
10965489_10205165696976483_2062653823_n.jpg

Land Cruiser v. 4Runner

10984766_10205165921222089_2131689239_n.jpg

Any question on how the whole "Land Cruiser and a Jeep" debate comes out?

Well, thanks to Kevin and John, as well as a bunch of "Mudders" that came out to help, I am officially on the road. Will post more about my journey on my other thread and my blog.

I'm confused as to why the other mechanic needed to pull the front shaft out at all?

The birf shaft's connected to the drive shaft?
:rimshot:

Maybe done by the mechanic who did the T-case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom