Looking for correct wiring schematic for USA FJ60 ignition with ignitor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
None of the FSMs I have from the usual suspects show anything on the wiring diagrams for the USA electronic ignition, they all show a points dissy. Anyone have the right one? I'd love to have a schematic that was correct for my 1987.

In my 1987 FJ60, there are 3 connectors with one wire each from the harness by the coil:
1. One wire is Black/yellow stripe and is not connected. It has a plug on the end, but there's nothing nearby to plug it into. ??
2. One wire is Black/red stripe and connects directly to the ignition module yellow wire via a connector. I suspect this is the tach signal to AC amp, Emission computer, and tachometer.
3. One wire is gray or green maybe and goes directly to the (+) terminal or the coil. I presume this is switched hot from the key in run position (need to confirm).

Note: the stock dissy is connected directly to the ignitor via two wires from the ignitor module. The only connections to the truck from the ignition gear is #2 and #3. Not sure what #1 is for, and why it isn't connected.

Think I figured it out: this coil has no resistor and the B-Y wire is not used? Also looks like brown (not green or gray) is the wire to #3, the switched hot... not completely sure, will get out the meter tomorrow and suss it out.

Still would like a newer schematic if anyone has it and can copy/scan it. I have the drawings from that thread, and it confirms the two connected signals. But it doesn't show wire colors...

Last edited:
On the old points schematic in the FSM, the tach signal is sourced directly from the (-) terminal of coil. In this picture from FSM of the electronic FJ60 ignition, the schematic shows a resistor in series with the tach signal taken from the (-) terminal.
fj60ign_zpsc6dsf0zj.jpg

This resistor is what we HW engineers call a "back-match" resistor, which reduces signal reflections, ringing, and sharp edges on signals that go over a long wire, in this case to the tach, emission computer, and AC amplifier. However, this may just be a simplification for drawing purposes, and might be an approximation of some more sophisticated buffering inside the ignitor module.

If you are wondering what I'm on about here, I am just studying this to be able to replace the ignitor and dissy with a trollhole 2F dissy properly. When I get it running and all figured out I'll post results.

OK I never got the schematic, but I got the Trollhole distributor working perfectly in my FJ60. I wrote it up on page 15 of the trollhole forum dissy thread. Note if you have a bad OEM dissy or ignitor (rare), this is a relatively inexpensive replacement for both. Or put the TH dissy in an ammo can for EMP protection and post-Iranian militant Islam nuclear apocalypse use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom