Long Range fuel Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mobi-arc said:
A handful of us just ordered tanks last week from Australia. Five or six organized by Boston Mangler on this board. Might not be too late to get in on it, but can't say for sure.

Scott

Scott,

When your tank comes in, let me know if you need help with the install. I'd like to see how it goes in.

-Bryan

hoser said:
Cool, I guess your next mod will be suspension to carry all that extra weight, right?

I think I'm okay in the suspension department. I removed the third-row seats the day I got the truck. Have OME rear springs and upgraded torsions. I'll have to evaluate after it's installed and fueled-up. Empty, I don't expect there to be much difference in attitude. With an tank full of fuel, if it sags, I'll have to go to firmer (not sure if this is a word) springs.

calamaridog said:
Scott,

When your tank comes in, let me know if you need help with the install. I'd like to see how it goes in.

-Bryan

I don't think I'll install this on my own. If I fu*k it up, hate to die in a massive pool of gasoline.

skypig said:
Is Shipping included in your US$950? Which tank did you order and do you know the dry weight of the tank?

Can anyone explain to me why ARBUSA doesn't chime in here and supply the obvious demand . . . I suspect many of you are buying the Long Ranger product?

This is the response from ARB USA when I emailed them asking about long range fuel tank for our 100.

Sorry, we do not sell the fuel tanks outside of Australia.

Jim Jackson
President
ARB-USA
720 SW 34TH STREET
RENTON, WA 98055-4814
Tel: 425-264-1391
Fax: 425-264-1392

Sorry, we do not sell the fuel tanks outside of Australia.

Jim Jackson
President
ARB-USA
720 SW 34TH STREET
RENTON, WA 98055-4814
Tel: 425-264-1391
Fax: 425-264-1392

I saw 4 long ranger tanks yesterday in ARB's showroom in Kuwait..
Mr. Jackson says the do not sell them outside of Australia..
It must mean that I am in Australia.. when did that happen?! does this mean I have to pay taxes now!? :hillbilly

siglo said:
It must mean that I am in Australia.. when did that happen?! does this mean I have to pay taxes now!? :hillbilly

ARB obviously likes the geographic location of Kuwait relative to US and very probably likes the disposable income stats associated with the population of Kuwait City. It's just that Mr. Jackson isn't staying abreast of supplier concerns and actions.

siglo said:

I'm a friend of John Howard, so send all your taxes to me and I'll look after it for you!!

mobi-arc said:
I don't think I'll install this on my own. If I fu*k it up, hate to die in a massive pool of gasoline.

I can respect that:D

Have you used either Protrux (San Marcos) or The Truck Shop (Mira Mesa). They both specialize in Toyota Trucks.

I've not used either. I go to Sport Utility Motorcars on Miramar Road. I've known Behr for ten years. He specializes in Land Rover (absolute job security) but he's a mechanical engineer by training and knows 4wd's inside and out. That said, he told me he won't install the tank for two reasons: firstly, he thinks it's stupid and impractical (and he's right), secondly, he has safety and liability concerns (he's right there too). He might change his mind if I push him, but I'll likely respect his concerns and simply take it somewhere that has aux fuel tank experience. Perhaps the Truck Shop. Protrux I've heard of, but not terribly convenient.

calamaridog said:
I can respect that:D

Have you used either Protrux (San Marcos) or The Truck Shop (Mira Mesa). They both specialize in Toyota Trucks.

I've used The Truck Shop for some service with the LC and the Tacoma and never had a problem with them. The owner is the son of the guy who owns Protrux.

I doubt they will have a issue with the install since they also build race trucks too.

Assuming you have all the parts, the 160L LRA aux tank install is pretty straight forward. The only scary part is cutting the factory filler tube - DONT MAKE ANY SPARKS! :)

Here are a couple pics:
sub-tank-below.jpg
sub-tank.jpg

mthomp6 said:
Assuming you have all the parts, the 160L LRA aux tank install is pretty straight forward. The only scary part is cutting the factory filler tube - DONT MAKE ANY SPARKS! :)

Here are a couple pics:

I like the Idea of running an extra tank back there, but that seems to hang awfully low Mthomp...how thick is the shell on that tank and do you feel comfortable dragging it over rocks ?

I hate dealing with Jerry cans, but I dont want to lose much (af any) clearance or departure in the rear... :frown:

ARB does not sell it in the US because ARB USA is not in the outfitting business like in Australia and other countries. In OZ, an ARB store does much more than just install ARB stuff. In the US, ARB is the importer or ARB produced goods from OZ. So they do not do the non-ARB products.

I have imported these tanks in the past as well and I can see why they do not do it. They are expensive to ship, take up a huge amount of space, they are not a direct bolt in for US trucks. In addition sourcing the parts needed to do a complete install is a pain. So if ARB had to import them, they would have to support them, and that is not their game.

So no, Jim is not asleep and does not ignore the market. In the past I have shipped them on their own, or they were included in a ARB container that was shipped directly to us. In both cases, the profit on the deals was not worth the effort. That is why I am happy to tell people where to get them etc.

SINCITY100 said:
I like the Idea of running an extra tank back there, but that seems to hang awfully low Mthomp...how thick is the shell on that tank and do you feel comfortable dragging it over rocks ?

I hate dealing with Jerry cans, but I dont want to lose much (af any) clearance or departure in the rear... :frown:

Sincity -

The tank is double reinforced on the bottom. Amando requested this from LRA and he advised me to do the same. We paid extra for that. It tucks up pretty good and serves my needs - of course there is a trade-off for the benefit. Having had an AUX tank in my 80, it is hard to live without...

Cheers,

-Mike

Sincity,

The tank made it through the Rubicon - it does have dents but that is what I get for driving it in there and I wasn't worried about it. The dents are nothing - they are small and it doesn't affect the tank at all. I was leaking gas during that trip but it was the secondary fuel pump that broke. When I ordered the tank I got a second fuel pump and switch with my order just in case. I did have the fuel pump with me but I didn't change it until I got home.

Its a trade off that I was willing to make, it does hang down there but for the kind of driving and trips we do, its great. There is a weight penalty having a full tank of gas but being able to drive close or more than a thousand miles in between fill ups also has its advantages. I am running OME863 in the rear and it works well with the weight of the truck.

:bounce:

Right on, thanks for the input guys !

I too would love to be able to run so many miles without worrying about filling up...And it sounds like the 863`s are more than up to the task ( gee, and I was already thinking about switching to 863`s )

I think that the fact it survived the Rubi is a testamonial in itself for the build quality too !

My wish list is growing WAY too fast !!

Sincity,

Just like mthomp6 mentioned - we had a "2nd bottom" welded, at the time I did it, it was about $50 AUD so it is defnitely worth it. Truck is looking good!

Brown Davis make a damn good fuel tank. They even sell to the US military. If you're replacing your main tank with a bigger one from them, it uses you factory sender and factory fuel pump.

Maybe send them an email and see if they have a USA outlet?
http://www.browndavis.com.au/long-range-fuel-tanks/

there's also a video on that page where they describe the process and i dealt with that guy for my prototype bash plates that Brown Davis did for me years ago.
Very professional and quality workmanship.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom