Long Range fuel Tank

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by 03cruiser, Jun 11, 2004.

1. 03cruiser

03cruiser

Does any one know who makes a long range replacement fuel tank for the 100 series LC. I'm all ready going to relocate my spare tire. Another question is that all of a sudden i can't see posted pictures in the forum. Thanks for your help !
  2. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

Man-a-fre sells these OEM auxiliary tanks...

[​IMG]

Here's a linky.

I didn't see a direct 38 gal replacement like they make for the 80 series though....might get in touch w/ Slee (I'm sure he'd know if someone made one).

Tucker
  3. Junk

Junk

I could be wrong, but I thought there was a 36 gal replacement for the original. Haven't looked, but thought I heard someone mention that last week.
  4. i4c4lo

i4c4lo

Hey guys,

I have a LRA (http://www.longrangeautomotive.com.au/) it is a 160 liter secondary gas tank that has a simple transfer pump to the main tank. It works really well and fairly easy to install yourself. You will need another body to help you lift it up or I guess you can use a floor jack. You do have to cut some stuff and to prevent dropping some metal shaving into the OEM gas filler I used a magnet next to where I am cutting.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them as well as I can. Depending on the exchange rate you can get it fairly cheap. I don't think Man-it ain't-free is selling them anymore. At least at the time I wanted mine they only had the Toyota 13 gallon tank. It doesn't hang that much and I am sure you will hear from someone that will say that. After doing Golden Spike, Hells Revenge and Moab Rim Trail this past Cruise Moab 04, it didn't touch anything other than my wallet filling it up. :) Either way you have to gas up this affords you to pick where you get gas. You will have to upgrade your springs to deal with the weight.

Have a good one.

Amando
  5. s79bj40

s79bj40

http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/tanks.htm

170l replacement for the maintank, some places make replacements for the second tank too, about 80l i think. With that much fuel, you should be able to make about 1500miles from a fill. none too shabby, but you do need the new springs, even with both standard tanks full, it sits low in the back.
  6. 100 TD

100 TD

I'm not sure what your original equipment is in US, but in OZ the 2003 V8 5 speed auto 100 series came with a 95 litre (25 US gallon) main tank and a 50 litre (13 US gallon) rear sub tank. ARB distribute "Long Ranger" (different than longrangeautomotive) brand fuel tanks and they make a replacement rear sub tank that holds 182 litres (48 US gallons) if you relocate your spare tyre and remove the old rear tank. They also make a combination fuel/water tank which is 122 litres (32 US gallon) fuel and 55 litre (14.5 US gallon) water tank. The water tank is stainless steel and is fitted on top of the fuel tank. Picture attached is the combo tank, the water tank is on top, slightly left, fitted down into a cavity in the fuel tank. The breather for it does not have a red cap on it, you can just see it towards the right on top. The 182 litre fuel tank is AU$990 and the combo tank is AU$1568 although US pricing may not be a straight conversion due to marketing, sales etc. You also get hoses and fittings, mounts etc. Yes when you relocate the spare, add wheel carrier, cargo draws, barrier, lots of food beer fridge etc, add fuel/water you definitely need upgraded OME springs.
    Fuel-water tank.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  7. uzj100

uzj100 SILVER Star

13 gallon rear sub tank?

Can you still keep the spare in the original under body position with the 13 gallon sub tank? Also, what is the price of an oem 13 gallon tank?

Thanks,

uzj100
  8. 100 TD

100 TD

The spare tyre is mounted under the OEM sub tank as original fit but it hangs a bit low for most people when the vehicle is loaded. No idea on price, I have a Turbo diesel and the original sub tank is 12 gallon, probably the same tank but different configuration due to injector return flow etc. To get prices from my dealer you need VIN's for actual vehicle, and I don't know andbody with an OZ V8 VIN to give them, they seem to be hopeless with the parts dealings I have had with them. If you have or know of somebody with a EPC, you may be able to get a part number and ask your dealer for a price, I expect there would be quite a few sub tanks floating around back sheds here that may be for sale, as people have removed the original and put a bigger tank in as some trips in the outback are places where there may be no fuel and you need 170 litres or more on board I believe, especially if you are towing a camper trailer.
  9. 100 TD

100 TD

I just went to the link above provided by tucker74 and all info you want is there I think
  10. mobi-arc

mobi-arc

Anyone in the US installed

Anyone in the US installed the Man-a-Fre Auxillary tank on a 100. I'm considering it but curious to hear impressions by someone who's already tackled it.

Thanks,

Scott
  11. dclee

dclee

If you have a 2004 year (maybe 2003 as well, can't remember right now) Toyota decided to enlarge and relocate the charcoal cannister to right where the spare sits! What that means is that subtanks that would fit on older 100s will no longer fit in the later trucks. I know Christo was working on some custom applications for customers, but can anyone chime in on how you would put a subtank in such a truck? Did Toyota do this to the Oz-spec trucks (probably not, as it's for U.S. emissions)? If so, did they build a subtank with a new shape to fit around said cannister and plumbing? You can see from my sig line why I am concerned, heh!

TIA,

12. dclee

dclee

Bump!

Anyone? Buehler?

TIA,
  13. skypig

skypig

Long Range Automotive or Long Ranger

both seem to have viable options to extend range, but neither seems to be easy to locate in US. Has anyone bought and installed one in US? I am always looking for the best value, but in this case I just need help finding where to source one.
  14. 100 TD

100 TD

ARB is the distributer for Long Ranger tanks in OZ, so I expect you could get them from them, would have to wait for next container load of goods to be shipped though I expect.
  15. mobi-arc

mobi-arc

A handful of us just ordered tanks last week from Australia. Five or six organized by Boston Mangler on this board. Might not be too late to get in on it, but can't say for sure.

Scott

16. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

Mobi--

I thought he was just doing it for the 80 series. What did the 100 series price work out to be?
  17. mobi-arc

mobi-arc

About $950, but I requested some extra components which will hopefully make the install easier, so it may end up being a couple bucks more. Any which way you slice it, the shipping is painful and the 100-series tank is more expensive than the 80-series. Now I need to figure out what to do with the spare. I'm considering making a hitch-mounted tire carrier. May have to get Slee's tire carrier, but it comes with a bumper that's way too nice for me.
  18. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

Cool, I guess your next mod will be suspension to carry all that extra weight, right?
  19. siglo

siglo

I have the combo gas/water Long Ranger tank installed in place of my OEM aux tank and I have some comments after reading this thread.

- My LC is 2004 V8 Arabia specs and came initially with a factory sub tank. It hasn't change here since earlier models. All come with the same factory sub tank I believe.
    - You definitely need upgraded Coils for the long ranger sub tank. My LC rides fine on and off-road with the extra weight of water and gas. Once the long ranger tank is empty (no gas/no water). The rear end gets higher than I prefer and my rig becomes a little bouncy (probably due to AHC issues).
    - We are facing problems with adjusting the sender units for the long ranger tanks on several Toyota's here (2 x 80 series, 1 x 100 series and 1 Hilux). The fuel gauge does not reflect actual fuel in tank no matter how strictly the installation instructions are followed. ARB's agent here is trying to work out this problem with ARB right now. In the mean time, if anyone is successful in that department, let me know. :)
  20. skypig

skypig

Is Shipping included in your US$950? Which tank did you order and do you know the dry weight of the tank?

Can anyone explain to me why ARBUSA doesn't chime in here and supply the obvious demand . . . I suspect many of you are buying the Long Ranger product?