Lockers or a Winch - need some advice!!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A big consideration on whether to buy a locker or a winch is where you will be using your outfit. If you are gonna drive in the snow forget any locker you can't turn off! I suppose that could apply to mud too. I wouldn't know about that since we don't have to deal with much mud in S. Utah, just wait a few minutes and it dries up. We do get some snow once in a while, and lockers suck in that. I have to take my lockrite out when I take the snowmobiles out of storage.
I have a winch that is the forerunner to the 8274, it's so old that you can't read the numbers on the ID tag. I've had it for years and never used it to pull my own rig with. Helped a few others though. I might be chicken since I keep mine right-side up. So far, I haven't gone anywhere worth going that required tipping mine over.
On the other hand, the locker gets me over things (rocks, ledges, treetrunks, ravines) that were iffy without it. I drove my FJ40 20 yrs without one and had to get by with momentum and wheel placement. (actual driving skill, and some stupidity) A locker makes a significant difference in what you can do, and do it safely. I hardly ever need to get out and lock the hubs except for serious obstacles. I just shift into low-range, crawl through or over, then shift back to 2 hi. A locker can be real handy, but I also found I had to learn new techniques for some obstacles.
Woody is correct about some winches being slower than a hi lift jack. An experienced hand can do amazing things with a hi lift.
IMO nobody should be offroad any further than they want to walk back, without a hi lift,shovel,chain,tow strap, and a well-stocked toolbox. Another outfit along with you is the best accessory of all.

my brother has the milemarker m8000 on his 4runner, no problems except for sand in the clutch so it will not unspool, and it is used everytime on the trail. it is a bit slow but alot faster than waiting on another rig.

milemarker is used by the US Military (the hydrolic ones) so i figure if they use them than they cant be that bad. these electric winches are new and we shall see how it holds up after years of use -- if it lasts that long.

[quote author=customcruiser link=board=1;threadid=4830;start=msg37558#msg37558 date=1062617958]
milemarker is used by the US Military (the hydrolic ones) so i figure if they use them than they cant be that bad.
[/quote]
The military also uses Hummers. You gonna try one of those pieces of crap too?
:eek:

I went with lockers first, but will get a winch soon! Both, in my opinion, are a must! I haven't got to try out the lockers yet, but I will as soon as I get some free time to wheel! :D

I'm new to the group and am currently wheeling a BJ-74 in Okinawa Japan. I have both a winch (factory PTO) and lockers front and rear (factory cable lockers). If I had to choose which one to buy first, I would go with the lockers. Someone said "which do they use more often?" I can say that I have never had to use my winch (to recover myself) and I would say I do some pretty serious wheeling. I had a 4Runner with lockers and no winch before I bought the Land Cruiser. I could go places in 2 wheel drive that others couldn't with 4 wheel drive and open diffs. I winch may be "safer", but I would say the lockers are more fun.
Someone else mentioned that they would like a Toyota PTO winch. I would say go get a Warn winch and forget about the PTO. They shear the safety pins easily and are ENORMOUS. The bumper I have to accomodate the winch seems more like a diving board. Approach angle is murdered. I'll be ditching the PTO for a Warn in the near future. It's not a big priority though, because I have the lockers ;)

I agree with the winch recommendation. Lockers may be more fun and they may get more use, but a winch is kind of like medical insurance. It just kinda sits there not doing much... but once you need it, you'll thank the gods that you have it. Besides, lockers just let you get stuck on a harder trail.

[quote author=jojotheclown link=board=1;threadid=4830;start=msg37855#msg37855 date=1062686521]
I'm new to the group and am currently wheeling a BJ-74 in Okinawa Japan. I have both a winch (factory PTO) and lockers front and rear (factory cable lockers). If I had to choose which one to buy first, I would go with the lockers. Someone said "which do they use more often?" I can say that I have never had to use my winch (to recover myself) and I would say I do some pretty serious wheeling. I had a 4Runner with lockers and no winch before I bought the Land Cruiser. I could go places in 2 wheel drive that others couldn't with 4 wheel drive and open diffs. I winch may be "safer", but I would say the lockers are more fun.
Someone else mentioned that they would like a Toyota PTO winch. I would say go get a Warn winch and forget about the PTO. They shear the safety pins easily and are ENORMOUS. The bumper I have to accomodate the winch seems more like a diving board. Approach angle is murdered. I'll be ditching the PTO for a Warn in the near future. It's not a big priority though, because I have the lockers ;)
[/quote]
Welcome aboard!
Half the reason I want a PTO is cause
1. Way to damn cool
2. Did I mention cool?
3. I'm an admitted purist, I like things that are somewhat rare
4. So what if it shears safety pins, thats better than burning out a motor.
5. The bumper I have would accomodate it, and even if I didn't get a PTO winch I wouldn't want to change bumpers.

I can see why you don't want one, but I feel its right for me.
BTW: Why the hell don't we get trucks like yours in the US anymore? Thats a load of BS. Lucky you. :flipoff2: :D
Edit:
You haven't seen enormous until you've seen Sam from downunder's hand winch and roof rack :eek: :D

well, I had a Ramsey rep8000 that got stolen :mad:. about a year later my FJ-40 got an ARB front and a full Detroit rear along with 4.88's. Alot of the trails in Moab that I go on would be Suicide If I didnt have a winch, so I just bought a 9.5TI Warn and now I need to upgrade the alternator.

Winch first!

I have aussie lockers front and rear. After last nights adventure, I would go with a winch without a doubt!!!! :D Mud over both axles up past the frame rails with lockers sucks! ;) The winch would have gotten us out faster, but instead, my buddies and I dug the whole 40 out by hand. Not to mention a trip to the hospital for a inch deep cut in my hand! :-X

I appreciate everyone's advice here. I'm sold on the winch - lockers to come. :D

1980FJ40 - sounds like a pretty nice test of the lockers! Sorry to hear about your hand. Well, look at is this way - your trip last night wasn't in vain. I'm more convinced that ever to get a winch first! I know - not much help is it? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom