lock up torque converter mod help ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys
i have a 1hd-ft 96 landcruiser 80 series with a 4 speed auto.
at the moment its living on the dyno chasing some good hp out of the diesel
but cant keep the tc in lockup
is there any mod or wire i can tap into to lockup the tc in 3rd
without buying the wholesale automatic valve body
as you can see by the dyno chart it wont stay in lockup when the foot is put down
????
206309_10150158975390064_605670063_6951972_5938511_n.jpg

I am not sure you can do this on an 80 without looking at the EWD but I wired up a switch to my 81 Blazer and controlled it by the switch. Dig around the EWD and see if there is a wire to control the lock up.

I am reviving an old thread yes but i have your answer. Give me 10 minutes and i will have the photos uploaded and you will have a TC lock up mod that will let you lock it in any gear on the A4442F auto trans

Edit:

Ok the instructions are below (I will note this is not my mod I came across this when searching the internets and don't remember the source)

General Notes for this mod
C7DVu8Z.png

Instructions For Mod
pdHJh6h.png

Wiring Diagram
p9d7ibP.png

Image of switch set up
GouxI8n.png

Additional mod to lock the transmission into the high range shift pattern when in low range
F9c37Kz.png

Enjoy (planning on doing this mod myself when i have some spare time)

Last edited:
That's freaking cool.

...via IH8MUD app

Also what is the major benefit of the HD engine? The torque? Its only about 20nm ~10ft-lbs more than the 1fz-fe and it has less hp... Just curious.

once you lock it up will it unlock with the O/D switch on the side of the shifter? and I don't think you can lock up first gear unless you have modified the valve body in the trans.

the main benefit of the HD compared to the FZ is fuel economy

Also what is the major benefit of the HD engine? The torque? Its only about 20nm ~10ft-lbs more than the 1fz-fe and it has less hp... Just curious.

once you lock it up will it unlock with the O/D switch on the side of the shifter? and I don't think you can lock up first gear unless you have modified the valve body in the trans.

the main benefit of the HD compared to the FZ is fuel economy

I'm pretty sure that the way this is wired in, once you lock it up, it's locked up until you unlock it.

with more boost and more fuel it's probably possible to get more power out of the HD but I'm no expert on it, and some diesels take more work to get more power out of than others. I know the 90's turbo diesel mercedes engines have a lot engineered into them to limit the power you can get out of them.

^ interesting. $210 to take the guesswork out of it. It's roughly $20 in parts but to make it plug-n-play has got to be worth something.

It's something I picture using once or twice during the next decade. Hell, if I forget what I'm doing it could cause issues. If other people are driving and pressing buttons then I could really be in trouble.

It's something I picture using once or twice during the next decade. Hell, if I forget what I'm doing it could cause issues. If other people are driving and pressing buttons then I could really be in trouble.

Surely if you did the mod overheating would quickly follow:flipoff2:

Here's the magic question. Will it throw a TCU code and cause the trans to go into limp mode?

looks like there selling the stuff from wholesale automatics in Australia, I have one of there trans temp gauges fitted to my A442F, with a 1HD-FT Gturbo XXi airbox and retuned pump by Graeme here in Perth. the trans temp rises very quickly in soft sand if I don't let the tyres down to ride on top of it and just use the power to blast thru. This mod is supposed to stop that although I read somewhere that if you use it under extreme load (towing a trailer thru boggy sand) it can burn the oil in the converter and damage it somehow, I haven't done it myself yet. I would like one of there converters, heard good things about them. I changed the ATF fluid to synthetic, and keep the trans temp under 100c (212F)

For this one I basically only have the intention to use it to help prevent the auto run away on big descents otherwise i don't have any particular use for it in the way of towing but even from what i have read with regards to the wholesale automatics one they recommend to not use the lock up when driving in soft sand for the exact reason that cooking the trans fluid is inevitable. I can't imagine it would throw a trans code as all you are essentially doing is manually triggering a "switch" to lock up the torque convertor that would otherwise be done automatically at around 80 km/h (at least that seems to be the magic number in my bus)

Bringing it back to life . Can anyone comment on the longterm life of the torque converter with this mod installed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom