1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lock rite gone bad

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Gundy, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Gundy

Gundy

Well the dang lock rite has bitten the dust. I can't add an ARB to the rear right now and I
    was thinking of replacing the spider gears for a while. Any gremlins I should be aware of?
    It's been years since I installed the rear lock rite and I'm not sure of the re-install of the
    spider gears procedures. Any tips will be appreciated. Man I'm glad I saved those spider gears!
    Thanks in advance, I remain,
    David of Pumpkintown

2. hammerhead

hammerhead

How the hell do you hurt a lockrite? We've been beating the piss out of ours for years and have never been able to hurt one. ???

3. 78 One owner

78 One owner

I wanna know how you did it too! Mines been in heavy use on and offroad for over 5 years and still looks brand new. Are looks deceiving? Mine is DD w/33s & 350 SBC. It lives a rough life pulling trailers, rock crawling, and many other forms of abuse, including flat towing hammerhead all the way to moab and any other run we decide to hit together. We had the rear out a while back and could hardly tell my old lockrite from hammerheads new one. I swear by them.

4. Gundy

Gundy

I've run the thing for years with no problems too. Heck, it hardly was noticeable it was in there.
    Just a little clicking on turns from stop. I did some sorta rough wheeling this summer ( Hushhole
    and GSMTR) and on my way home from Tellico I noticed some vibration. I got a little mad after
    working on my 60's manifolds (Grrrrrrr) and took the 40 for a spin. As I left the stop sign and turned right
    with a heavy foot on the gas......bang.....clinky rear end noises ensued. I'm thinking it's one of the pins
    in the lock rite. I saw the same thing in a friend's Cruiser recently. I'm hoping the removal of the lock rite
    and the re-install of the spider gears will come to me when I open the pumpkin up. ;)
    I have a front ARB in and I'll be adding an ARB to the rear this winter. (hint to Santa).
    I love the Lock Rite but don't want to install another with the ARB around the corner.

5. 78 One owner

78 One owner

Post your findings when you open it up. We'd sure like to know what failed.

6. hammerhead

hammerhead

A pic of the carnage would be cool, too! If you can.

7. Gundy

Gundy

Will do! I'm going to try to pull it this weekend. I'll take some digital pics. :)

8. hammerhead

hammerhead

Remove lockright. Install thrust washers with oil grooves or dimples towards gears. Push axles in. Install c-clips. Pull axles outward trapping clips. Install spiders, thrust washers, crosspin, and block. Secure crosspin with bolt. Install cover. Fill. Drive. 8)