limited slip differential oil change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I just bought 2004 LC 100. It has 60k on it. Does the car have limited slip differential? If so... I am not 100% sure whether oil was ever changed.

Should I change it as soon as possible or is it similar to transmission fluid change situation where if you did not change it on time (30K ?) - leave it alone.

This is probably a silly question but I am new to the 4x4 world and will need all the help I can get.

Thanks!
Alex

I do not think 60k is too late to start on proper transmission services. In my opinion, it would be a great time to start. I am not a believer in lifetime fluid fills, for what that's worth. I've been doing mine every 30k. So far so good with 150k miles. Were you at 150k with no fluid changes, I might think otherwise, but would probably still hedge towards changing the fluid and hoping for the best.

Are you able to lock the rear differential via controller on the dash panel? If so, this is a locking diff and not limited slip. My 1999 is a locking version. Sorry, but I don't know the 2004 model year features.

Doug

2004 has the new transmission fluid so don't mix with the old kind. It is a 100K mile fluid unless you are towing then do it at 60K with the right fluid. I did my diff's and transfer case at 40K miles even though I don't tow.

From my research, only the 98-99 LX470s came with a LSD. 98-99 had the rear locker option on LAND CRUISERS only, and 00-07 Lexus/Toyota had open diffs. And as far as your transmission, it doesnt have a dipstick!

The transmission fluid thing is a wives tale with no basis in reality. What is true is that if you change fluid after the tranny starts to make noise it is likely to fail. It would be likely to fail anyway and the fluid change had nothing to do with it. But someone will blame the fluid change.

Change the fluid!

i wouldnt do a drain-fill on a high mileage vehicle. Ive heard reports from a friend that when one of the other techs does it the transmission kind of REALLY doesnt like it.

I'd do a full fluid exchange on a higher mileage vehicle if the ATF hasnt been replaced on a regular basis.

thanks for responses! Happy to learn that I do not need to worry about limited slip differential and that I do not need to look for the transmission dipstick.

I am a bit confused by comments about high mileage and change of transmission fluid. 60K is not high mileage in my book or am I mistaken? This is my first LC so I am learning.

It sounds like change of transmission fluid at 60K along with changing differential fluids is not a bad idea. Correct?

Difffs - change them now and often. 60k is not high milage. Your Transmission probably does not require a change but if you plan on keeping the truck forever then it wouldn't hurt. Without a dipstick there is no way to assess the fluid condition without draining.

thanks for responses! Happy to learn that I do not need to worry about limited slip differential and that I do not need to look for the transmission dipstick.

I am a bit confused by comments about high mileage and change of transmission fluid. 60K is not high mileage in my book or am I mistaken? This is my first LC so I am learning.

It sounds like change of transmission fluid at 60K along with changing differential fluids is not a bad idea. Correct?

If your 100 series 2004+ has not been used for towing and like most was a mall cruiser you don't need to change the transmission fluid until 100K mile. If you do change it make sure they use the 2004+ fluid or it will mess up your transmission and it will slip. You should do your diff's and transfercase. If you have the Lexus with AHC suspension then you need to have the AHC fluid changed.

Lexus LX 470 fluid changes (170,000 miles)

Hey Guys,

I am fairly new to this forum, so let me first tell you all, how awesome this site is :)

I don't see any BS talk, very technical and polite crowd which makes this site so user friendly and inviting.

Any way, I drive a '99 LX 470 with absolute trouble free 170,000 miles. Only recently I found out about this site which helped me answer two of the issues that were really bothering me for past couple of years.

1)- AHC service: Lexus will not service it 'coz according to them, it doesn't need changing :doh: Anyway, I have enough info where I have already ordered fluid from my local Toyota dealer for $36/can (thanks to you all again) and will be doing that soon.

However I have a quick question though; The fluid in the reservior is bit on the lower side and I do see almost 7-8 markings of fluid movement when I check the condition of the accumulators, so do I go ahead and order the rear coils and adjust the torsion bars?

Do I go with OME 862 spring ( OME =OEM?) ?

Do I need a pressurize tool to flush all the fluid out from the struts/ AHC system? The DIY doesn't specify that but my local buddy mechanic thinks I would have to have one?

2)- Drive shaft thunk: No questions here as I have enough convincing evidence to take that crap out, open the yolk, clean the splines and pack them using the Moly grease with litium.

3)- Differential fluid change: Since i am getting bad headache from reading all the AHC & Drive shaft thunk related archives, please help me as i don't have patience to read any more :D Need to know what needs servicing and what parts and fluids do i need?

4)- Transmission fluid change: Need help as well with the type of fluid and what parts do I need?

5)- A/C: does that need to be serviced?

6)- Engine oil: Always used Mobil 1 synthetic so no issues there.

7)- Any other fluids need to be changed?

I am sure my local indy mechanic has taken good care of the vehicle but I am just making sure?

Thank you all for keeping this place running :clap:

From my research, only the 98-99 LX470s came with a LSD. 98-99 had the rear locker option on LAND CRUISERS only, and 00-07 Lexus/Toyota had open diffs. And as far as your transmission, it doesnt have a dipstick!

Did ALL '98 & '99 LX470 have LSD? Or is it optional? Assuming we are talking rear diff only?

TIA,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom