(Likely) Slow and Steady 99 Family(ish) Cruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve always had a thing for Land Cruisers and the 100 series, in particular - they’ve always seemed to have a great balance of being at home and not out of place just about everywhere. Certainly capable but not obtrusive. These qualities appeal to me functionally and to my personality in a broader sense.

I’ve been looking seriously for a 100 for the past couple of months and found this 99 Cruiser locally last week. It had/has 184k miles and has been really well maintained. In fact, for a 17 year-old truck, I was really surprised by the condition (based on others I looked at locally). There is a short list of minor cosmetic things to address:

1. A new windshield (the PO didn’t replace it when a rock caused a crack out of the field of view, but it drives me crazy)

2. The front seat leather will need to be dealt with

3. The gold trim is abhorrently tacky - especially with the non-matching gold spray painting of the center caps. The PO said that it looked classy that way - ughhhh.

It has factory lockers - though they won’t engage. Thinking that the actuator is frozen from lack of use or something along those lines. This is not a big deal to me, at least not now - but will be fixed at some point.

It sounds like and drives like it is basically new. I have a great mechanic that does the stuff that I’m not comfortable with doing myself. Stopped by his shop to let him take a look and he agreed that it was in great shape for its age.

My wife and I have 3 young boys and an infant girl (all under 10) and this is a third non-DD for us. Although, I really like driving it so that is going to be tricky - ha. If I'm being honest - I think I'm in denial and my wife knows this is just a toy for me.

I initially didn’t intend to make any changes other than making the few fixes that I mentioned but I’m learning that spending time on this forum is a slippery slope and I’m having visions of roof racks and bumpers and lifts. Who knows where that will go. I am - for the moment - saying that whatever changes I make will be slow and steady. That’s what I’m telling myself.

Here is one of the photos from the PO:
From Ad.jpg

And one at home - the day I bought it - on our property north of Nashville:
At Home.jpg

Also - turns out I couldn’t even make it through the weekend looking at the gold, so I pulled all of the emblems and the wheel caps and painted them with Duplicolor Mazda Graphite Metallic (thanks to the suggestions of others) and I really, really like the way it turned out. I like the color so much I’m thinking about the wheels and the trim pieces now. Ha. Like I said, a slippery slope.

Cruiser Painted Caps.jpg
Painted Badges.jpg

Very nice! Consider having your leather restored instead of replaced to save yourself some $$$. I had mine done 3 or 4 years ago on my '99 and the seats still look great.

These are amazing rigs and '99 seems to be an extra stellar year for reliability it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom