Lighter removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.intechrv.com
I've searched but cannot find how to specifically pull the cigarette lighter from the panel...no clue, has to be able to be removed, but it's not very apparent that's for sure. It looks like you need to somehow twist the lighter so that you can push the tabs in so it can release (there are some reliefs on the interior metal section where the tabs could push in, but they are 90 degrees unaligned with the tabs...cannot twist)...any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

mine just fell out. try wiggling it up and down, the metal tabs aren't that strong.

Mine just poped out as well, quite accidentally, i used a phone charger that had rather stiff tabs and it pulled the cigarette lighter socket right out with it.

If that ^^ doesnt work push it out through the ashtray.

Mine came out exactly like Braknstuf's did. Went back together ok, I just have to be careful with the phone charger now.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

This is my dilemma, if you look at the picture of the backside you can see the white tab to the far right so of the backside of the lighter...there is another slightly smaller white tab exactly opposite of that which cannot be seen in this image. These cannot be pushed through the black plastic and they do not depress because it cannot push the metal part of the lighter inward. If you look at the other image you see the part of the lighter that faces toward interior of the truck...it appears as if the entire black piece which forms the concave structure of the lighter housing is a part of the actual lighter assembly...but it cannot come out either.

I am trying to strip everything from this panel, I am having hydro-grahphics put on the panels and dipping the lighter would potentially destroy it...I could mask it off so graphics don't apply to it, but submerging it in water would likely damage it. Any more thoughts and is this what you guys were dealing with? I've had just about every nut, bolt, fastener, panel, etc out of this truck and there's always one little blocker or something tricky...would hate to damage a perfectly good working 12V recept if I don't have to. Thanks.
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg

OK...you guys are right, it just pushes out, what I thought I was logically looking at was incorrect, it depressed and came out...the problem is now that the white housing for the light bulb cannot be manipulated out, but I will work in it, it has to come out, definitely not the best engineered component...I could see a tech having to got to Land Cruiser school just for this assembly!!

take out the metal sleeve first. it's designed to go in, and not out, the 'barbs' are plastic. With a bit of TLF (tender loving FORCE) you can remove it.

then after that, the white plastic part will come out of the panel.

Sometimes the barbs or locking tabs get munched and the socket won't stay in place after re-installation. The cure is a new socket assembly. Or glue.

It helps if you never use cig sockets as accessory sockets. Toyota does make accessory sockets for this purpose, used on several other models, including 4Runners, etc. I've installed my two (used) constant-powered accessory sockets in the shifter-console panel.

you can take the bulb socket out first, and sometimes the black portion of the bulb housing will come off. Then push the white barbs in, the white sleeve will come out.

Patience! And perseverance!

OK...I am feeling pretty stupid, I figure it all out, but it wasn't too simple to see. I pushed the metal lighter part out first, then the bezel and then finally the white piece. WOW, this was a few hours figuring this all out. Thanks for the help guys!!

you can take the bulb socket out first, and sometimes the black portion of the bulb housing will come off. Then push the white barbs in, the white sleeve will come out.

Patience! And perseverance!

AGGHHHH...I just read your post after getting it figured out...wish I saw this earlier!! Thanks.

This site rocks...

I just blew my cigarette lighter and am trying to pinpoint whether it's the fuse or a physical burnout behind the actual lighter (which I'll try the info above to remove it and look).

On a side note, I can't seem to find any other cigarette lighter port(s) in the rig, are there any others in the 95 FZJs other than the one in the dash?

thx

You can pull the cover over the controls to get at the cig lighter, then just unplug it, remove it, repair it, test new fuse, etc. You likely have just the one lighter.

Land Cruiser Series 100 Cigarette Lighter replacement with Dual USB port

I replaced the cigarette lighter with a dual USB charger socket in my 2006 series 100 Land Cruiser today. I searched -- perhaps ineffectively -- for instructions. It took me a couple of hrs to figure it out. Here is what I did.
Part: Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Charger Socket.

1) Disconnected the battery ground, wrapped it in a cloth and secured it.
2) removed the ash (spare change) tray which allowed me to put my hand behind the lighter assembly.
3) Foremost, the lighter cylinder and the housing (all parts) come out. They are not removed from the inside.
4) Used small screwdriver from outlet side to push the small white plastic tab located in the lighter cylinder. This white tab (a part of the white housing) holds the lighter cylinder in place. I basically just destroyed it. This allowed me to rotate the metal cylinder about 1/4 turn (counter clock-wise, I believe) and pull the metal cylinder partially out.
5) I was then able to to rotate the white housing a 1/4 - 1/2 turn so the retaining tabs aligned with the slots in the dash panel and pull the entire assembly out.
6) Clipped the wires and replaced connector with 16-14 gauge Audio 1/4 female connectors which fit the two male connectors on the dual usb socket.
7) unclipped the lighter light (it gets hot) and pushed it behind the dash.
8) slipped the retaining nut over the power and ground wires (which will be connected to the dual usb socket)
9) I used a dremel tool to ever so slightly (very very slightly) increase the circumference of the hole in the dash to accommodate the usb socket.
10) connected the wires to the usb socket and slipped the socket in the hole.
11) reached in tightened the retaining nut over the usb socket.
12) I now have dual USB ports to charge my ipad and iphone, gps. Works great.
P.S. Make sure your testing the connections before you insert the socket and tighten it in place.

If anyone has an easier way to do this, pls add on.

Great write up, well said. The dual port USB has a lot more usefulness there.

I never understood why cig lighters are installed the way they are. I always destroy them as well when removing.

Yeah, that's a good picture of the little white tab. Wish I'd seen those pics yesterday. I've never been known for patience but took some pleasure nuking it since it cost me about 20 minutes of my day yesterday. Nevertheless, socket installation instructions are above.

Land Cruiser Series 100 Cigarette Lighter replacement with Dual USB port

I replaced the cigarette lighter with a dual USB charger socket in my 2006 series 100 Land Cruiser today. I searched -- perhaps ineffectively -- for instructions. It took me a couple of hrs to figure it out. Here is what I did.
Part: Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Charger Socket.

1) Disconnected the battery ground, wrapped it in a cloth and secured it.
2) removed the ash (spare change) tray which allowed me to put my hand behind the lighter assembly.
3) Foremost, the lighter cylinder and the housing (all parts) come out. They are not removed from the inside.
4) Used small screwdriver from outlet side to push the small white plastic tab located in the lighter cylinder. This white tab (a part of the white housing) holds the lighter cylinder in place. I basically just destroyed it. This allowed me to rotate the metal cylinder about 1/4 turn (counter clock-wise, I believe) and pull the metal cylinder partially out.
5) I was then able to to rotate the white housing a 1/4 - 1/2 turn so the retaining tabs aligned with the slots in the dash panel and pull the entire assembly out.
6) Clipped the wires and replaced connector with 16-14 gauge Audio 1/4 female connectors which fit the two male connectors on the dual usb socket.
7) unclipped the lighter light (it gets hot) and pushed it behind the dash.
8) slipped the retaining nut over the power and ground wires (which will be connected to the dual usb socket)
9) I used a dremel tool to ever so slightly (very very slightly) increase the circumference of the hole in the dash to accommodate the usb socket.
10) connected the wires to the usb socket and slipped the socket in the hole.
11) reached in tightened the retaining nut over the usb socket.
12) I now have dual USB ports to charge my ipad and iphone, gps. Works great.
P.S. Make sure your testing the connections before you insert the socket and tighten it in place.

If anyone has an easier way to do this, pls add on.
I was going to replace the bulb in mine but now its out i might go with this option.
Thanks man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom