Light bulbs for Land Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
This is for a 79 but it's a good starting point

The first number is the original bulb numer which should match up to most incandesant bulb charts. The other info is the part # from www.superbrightleds.com that I used as a replacement.

1975-1984 FJ40 TOYOTA Land Cruiser

(Straight from Sylvanias site.)
High & low beam headlamp
H6024
H6024ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: the whitest and brightest Halogen
H6024XV XtraVision Halogen Upgrade: 3x brighter; 2x the life
H6024CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal

Parking light
Quantity: 2 white (front)
Product: 67 LED bulb $ 2.99 (each)
Options: White 2.00

Front turn signal
Quantity: 2
Product: 1156-A30 Amber LED bulb $ 8.99 (each)

Rear turn signal
Product: 1156-A30 Amber LED bulb $ 8.99 (each)

Tail light / Brake
Product: 1157-R24 Red LED bulb $ 7.29 (each)
Options: Wide

License plate
89 I used the 67 bulbs and they worked just fine

Back up light
Product: 1156-W24 White LED bulb $ 12.99 (each)
Options: Wide

Front sidemarker (amber)
Options: White +2.00

Rear side marker (red)
67?
Options: Red

Step/Courtesy light
DE3425
Quantity: 1
Product: 3910-x6 LED Festoon bulb 6 LEDS
Options: White 3.70 or any other color

Headlight switch bulb
BA7
Product: BA7s LED bulb $ 0.89 (each)
Options: White +0.60 or any other color you like

Dash controls (in dash pad)
Product: 3022-4 LED Festoon bulb $ 1.89 (each)
Options: White +0.95

Instrument cluster lights
194/168 (T3)
Quantity: 3
Product: WLED 6-LED bulb 12 VDC 6-LED Wedge Base bulb (194/168 type)$ 2.99+
Options: 2 green for turn signals, 1 blue for hi/lo beam

Product: WLED 5-LED Wide Angle LED bulb 12 VDC 5-LED Wedge Base bulb (194/168 type)
Super Wide Viewing Angle bulb uses 4 radially mounted LEDs aiming out the sides and one High Flux LED on top $2.79
Options: White +1.50 (for Instrument lights)

Just curious, but why not use the 30led red light for the tail lights instead of the 24?

It's a direct focus and as small as the taillights are it might just look like a dot instead of a wide focus. The 24 has the option of buying either.

nice work, maybe sticky worthy, i will be shopping for upgraded lights

Trollhole said:
It's a direct focus and as small as the taillights are it might just look like a dot instead of a wide focus. The 24 has the option of buying either.
Good point, cant wait to see how they work. When you get them, can you take a before shot and after. Thanks.

Trollhole said:
1975-1984 FJ40 TOYOTA Land Cruiser

Headlight switch bulb
BA7
Product: BA7s LED bulb $ 0.89 (each)
Options: White +0.60 or any other color you like
lights
saweet

Okay so I have installed the outside lights. Well one side only for comparison. Couple of things I noticed. The rear lights are not any dimmer and may be a little brighter. The wide angle bulbs really do a good job. THe front signal lights I am going to have to do some more searching. As they really need a wide angle bulb. The narrow focus makes the turn signals look a little funny. It also would help if they weren't so blueish looking. The front driving light looks okay but I would rather it be wide also but it is bright. So the search continues for front L.E.D lights that still retain the stock look.

As for the rest of the bulbs inside including the dash. I hope to have them in tonight and will post pics of my results.

The electonic flasher was an easy install. you just have to use two short peices of wire to adapt from the stock plug to the flasher. And it's a 2 prong flasher on a 76. Only drawback is you cannot hear it click anymore.:frown:

Assuming I will be able to replace all my light withs L.E.Ds I'll bet I can run all of them for 24-48 hrs straights without them killing the battery.

red66toy said:
Got any pics of the back light comparison?

I'll take them tonight and post them this weekend. But your really cannot tell a difference and that was what I'm looking for.

nice work man, cant wait to see the photos, wanna upgrade mine bad

Well here are the photos.

Rear comparison. With leds on right and standard on left. Both housings are non OME taillights that I bought 6 months ago so they basically have little reflective material exceprt for the metal behind the bulb. The leds on the right are somewhat brighter. This is just the running lights.

IMG_4944.jpg

Front. Stock cruiser non ome lights. (lol) The leds are on the left and normal bulbs on right. I noticed the normal bulbs were brighter. I think this is for two reasons. One the housing on the right allows for the running light to bleed into the top light section where the left side doesn't and alo the led bulbs I used were not a wide beam type of bulb. I am having difficulty finding a #67 white or amber led bulb that has a wide pattern.

IMG_4948.jpg

Stock guage lights with the bulb housing mod done. (full bright)

IMG_4949.jpg

Now this is where the fun begins. I really like the look of the LEDS. Very clean. I also replaced the bulb under the dash pad. I used white even though the lens of the toyota is green. It works very well and lights better than the stock bulb.

IMG_4955.jpg

I wish I would have take a pic of the blinkers and hi beam lights. These really made a difference. And I will now know when I have my blinkers on.:D And the hi beam light is really nice to be able to see now and it's not so bright at night it blinds you. But the nice thing is I can even see it in the daytime.

The rest of the pics are with all the LEDs installed.

rear driving lights

IMG_4957.jpg

Rear driving and reverse lights. The reverse lights are really bright and very nice.

IMG_4959.jpg

Turn signals, driving, and reverse.

IMG_4960.jpg

And most important. Brake lights. Much better.

IMG_4961.jpg

And the front lights with LEDS. You can see the bleed through on the right lens.

IMG_4962.jpg

Overall I've very impressed with the LEDS. I retained the stock look on the front and back (especially). Two thing I really like is the power draw is almost nothing. If you think about it there are 21 light bulbs you use at night. I'm now using the same power that two standard bulbs are using. The other is the fact there is no slow glow it's on or off instantly. My rear bumper covers a little bit of my rear light which makes it harder to see. With the instant on of the LEDs it has a better chance of getting someone attention.

I also replaced the headlights with H6024ST Silverstar High Performance. I really like the white look and it's somewhat better lighting at night compared to my regular syvania halogens. The silverstars were 18 a piece but when you by two at autozone you get one at half price.

Damn Marshall those are sweet lookin. I've got some electrical gremlins on my 40 with the turn signals and brake lights. Plus my dash doesn;t light up either. So I gotta track that down and find out why they haven't worked. I Might have to do that LED light on the Dash in the 60, always so dim feel like I'm sturgglin to read it at night.

Trollhole said:
I also replaced the headlights with H6024ST Silverstar High Performance. I really like the white look and it's somewhat better lighting at night compared to my regular syvania halogens. The silverstars were 18 a piece but when you by two at autozone you get one at half price.

Are those plug-compatible with the OEM bulbs or do you have to have some sort of conversion kit?

Thanks!

Be careful with high intensity headlights so that you don't exceed the power rating of the circuit. The stock circuit is 20A, which works out to about 300 watts max.

Most LED lights don't use enough power to trip the stock bimetallic flasher. Did you replace the flasher to use the LED bulbs?

Pin_Head said:
Be careful with high intensity headlights so that you don't exceed the power rating of the circuit. The stock circuit is 20A, which works out to about 300 watts max.

Most LED lights don't use enough power to trip the stock bimetallic flasher. Did you replace the flasher to use the LED bulbs?

did you read my post :flipoff2:
Trollhole said:
The electonic flasher was an easy install. you just have to use two short peices of wire to adapt from the stock plug to the flasher. And it's a 2 prong flasher on a 76. Only drawback is you cannot hear it click anymore.:frown:

And the Silverstars are a direct replacement. They are identical to a stock headlight (glass, connectors, etc) They are rated for a cruisers electrical wiring. They draw no more power than a hologen.

H6024 SilverStar Sealed Beam Headlight
High Performance Halogen Sealed Beam Headlight - Dual filament for both high beam and low beam - part number: H6024ST
for more info
N/A Low 55w; High 65w
untitled.jpg

why the white LEDs for the front markers?
also, everthing looks good. i am in the process of doing the same thing. I think i am using LED replacment bulbs for most stuff, and building custom arrays for the others.
Shane

paranoid56 said:
why the white LEDs for the front markers?
also, everthing looks good. i am in the process of doing the same thing. I think i am using LED replacment bulbs for most stuff, and building custom arrays for the others.
Shane

Cause the place I bought them from didn't carry amber. Though now that I look at it an 1156 would probably have fit into that space. Maybe the next time. Right now I'm happy with the look. It doesn't look ricer. The funny thing is you can buy the instrument panel lights in Ultra violet. LOL now that would be ricer. I bought one bulb just to see what it would look like. Way to bling for my old ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom