Let's play a game... spot the mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I gave up on my iPad (gen1) navi as the screen was too washed out by sunlight to be usable. Is that not a problem for you? Are you using any kind of glare reducing cover or anything?

Glare wasn't an issue in my allroad but it was mounted lower. I suspect there might be some but so far in my drive tests it's not a bother. I have it tilted up slightly. I could change it easily for some dowward tilt if needed. I do get glare on the pioneer double din though.

I run full bright in the day and minimum bright at night.

I've been using a iPad Gen1 for almost a year in the LC and it works awesome. Motion X GPS HD is the best $2.99 I've spent in a very long time. I was going to buy a Garmin and bought the iPad insetad, very happy. The extra screen real-estate for viewing maps alone is worth it.

The glare can be bad but I've only found it annoying in a couple situations. I would say 98% of the time it's a non-issue and I can successfully use the iPad for Nav.

P.S. I bought the Pro-Clip iPad mount you are using at first because it was the first on the market. However I quickly found out why, it sucks. The mount holds the iPad too loose for my tastes when bouncing around offroad. Onroad I'm sure it's fine. I use the RAM mount instead and there is absolutely no way it's coming out on it's own. I've never had it come loose in the worst offroad conditions.

lc_car_mount_1.jpg

Looks good.

I'm only using the actual holder from Proclip - I have had the ipad in it and swung it around / bounced it and not had it pop out. It's on the dash pretty good. We'll see in about a week.

Last edited:
man, I keep going back and forth between wanting to do something like that or install a Kenwood/Garmin head and put the Topos on a SD card.

iPad, hands down. Once you compare navigating maps and zooming in/out on a iPad vs. that Kenwood/Garmin screen/controls you will thank me later. Nothing beats the speed and ease of the iPad navigation and the screen real estate alone is worth the price of admission. When viewing maps the more surrounding area the better to understand possible routes.

The ONLY advantage of the Kenwood/Garmin is the fact 100% of the maps are already loaded and available offline.

does the motion x stuff store the data (topo maps) local or does it require a continuous connection?

As RoboRed mentioned, the offline map downloads are very slow. For this reason I always download them the night before the trip. What you do is go into the setup menu and select download offline maps. Then using the map interface select a center point and radius of the area you want to view offline. You can then adjust the amount of zoom in/out is available in the map detail. Based on your selection the map download can be a couple MB or several GB. My average my downloads are a 15-20sq mile area and are 5-20mb in size. I have the 64gb model so I can fit LOTS of offline maps.

My primary purpose for the iPad and Motion X GPS is offline use way up in the mountains. In fact I never use the navigation or iPad period around town, the iPad normally stays in my bathroom during the week. :D

Another thing I really like about the iPad and Motion X GPS is the recording of track and ease of playback as an overlay on current live map. That way when you are on trail system you can check whether or not you were here previously and the path you took.

Last edited:
great mod, but...

wondering how soon you will get a ticket with that mounted there driving in the bay area with the CHP. great job though!

Is that just double stick tape or adhesive?

It's 3M super grande heavy duty trim tape... It's likely the dash will disintegrate if I pull it off. :D

wondering how soon you will get a ticket with that mounted there driving in the bay area with the CHP. great job though!

I dont think there is a vehicle code that says what type of navigation system I'm supposed to use and where it's mounted. I see Garmins Etc. on ppls windshields all the time. I'm not watching movies or texting and it is hands free. CHP = :flipoff2:

You're All Winners!!
Motion X's GPS HD

not me. i thought you changed the time on your phone. it isn't 12:03...:rolleyes:

You have a curtain for your windshield now?

I gave up on my iPad (gen1) navi as the screen was too washed out by sunlight to be usable. Is that not a problem for you? Are you using any kind of glare reducing cover or anything?

see above... his glare is clearly fixed, i can tell. and besides, who needs a front windshield when you got NAV!!!! didn't hundys come with nav AND autopilot? :rolleyes::hillbilly::doh:

Last edited:
But there is:

V C Section 26708 Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver x2019 s View

Unfortunately, there is a CA vehicle code that says I can't do that either! :doh:

Why? It reduces the amount of of time the AC Compressor is running since it keeps the vehicle cooler, thus reducing fuel consumption which is obviously known to the state of california to cause cancer.

Seriously thought, I dont think I'll EVER live in Cali....they've got even more restrictions than NY! Nice place to visit though.

Seriously thought, I dont think I'll EVER live in Cali....they've got even more restrictions than NY! Nice place to visit though.
Well, more precisely, they do allow tinted front/side windows but at a whopping 70%... which isn't going to do much good. On the front, we can do a little tint band across the very top. Might help somewhat but that's gonna look pretty ghey.

CA is home for me... despite the restrictions, I like it!

It's 3M super grande heavy duty trim tape... It's likely the dash will disintegrate if I pull it off. :D

I'd be careful leaving it up there. If the dash heats up sitting in a parking lot, then the tape gets soft and your ipad lands on the shifter.

Sun or no sun, first time offroad it's coming off guaranteed.

Probably a dumb question but does it just require a 3G Ipad or do you have to have the paid service as well? My Ipad is 3g but I haven't found a need or wireless service yet.

One other thing, I probably wouldn't leave it up there in the sun on a hot day... I've had my iPhone go into overheat protection mode a couple of times now sitting in the sun on the center console.

Probably a dumb question but does it just require a 3G Ipad or do you have to have the paid service as well? My Ipad is 3g but I haven't found a need or wireless service yet.

The 3G iPad is the only one that has the GPS hardware in it, but you don't need the 3G service activated to use it. You can use an app with preloaded maps, tether it to your smart phone or poach some nearby wifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom