LED Lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did this as well. They work great and haven't had a problem in 4 years now.

I began reading this thread back when it started and then, when the link to pirate was posted, I read it. I thought to myself that it would be awesome to have LED headlights that actually worked well. Then I looked up JW Speaker 8700 series 7" round headlights and they were $800 per pair! :doh: Am I looking up the wrong headlights? I figured they would be a couple hundred but $800?!?

WT:censor:? Is there anybody in this thread that is seriously considering dropping $800 on a set of headlights? More power to you and I would certainly like to know if you get $800 worth of satisfaction out of the difference in performance.

I went with the JW's... I absolutely love nice lighting in vehicles. I don't mind spending money on something that I use often and increases safety.

Here is a pic of them when I got them mounted for the first time, test fitting everything for paint.

20130320_171727.jpg

Funny thing is that if you drove them for a week and compared to Cibies (prounounced C-B-A, like the letters) with 80w/100w bulbs, I'm sure anyone would like the Cibies better.

The LEDs are cutting edge and IMO, not yet ready for headlight duty.

I don't know about cutting edge, as they've been used for years. I disagree about them not being ready for headlight use. The first thing I did when I got my JW's was plugged one in and compared it to a 2012 BMW Bi-xenon projector with the OEM 4300k bulb. There is no difference in light output. The cutoff line on both are sharp and crisp. There was no way I was going to keep $900 headlights if they weren't as good or better than the projector setup I was already planning on using for 1/4 of the price.

The JW's are completely sealed and have a useful life of 10,000+ hours. So for me, nice looking and performing lights that I never have to change a bulb in again... (I won't even get into the low power draw of LED's and being able to leave them on for hours without the engine running).

I don't know about cutting edge, as they've been used for years. I disagree about them not being ready for headlight use. The first thing I did when I got my JW's was plugged one in and compared it to a 2012 BMW Bi-xenon projector with the OEM 4300k bulb. There is no difference in light output. The cutoff line on both are sharp and crisp. There was no way I was going to keep $900 headlights if they weren't as good or better than the projector setup I was already planning on using for 1/4 of the price.

The JW's are completely sealed and have a useful life of 10,000+ hours. So for me, nice looking and performing lights that I never have to change a bulb in again... (I won't even get into the low power draw of LED's and being able to leave them on for hours without the engine running).

If you got to discount fleet supply they are $714 and got them in a couple days.

Man you guys are going to kill my wallet for this next project. I also saw that ICON will be offering their headlights for sale in the future along with their bumpers.

ISSUE. Plugged in the new JW Speaker lights. When the engine is running they are great. If I turn them of for turn on the heater, they start to flicker. Thoughts. Using stock wiring harness

ISSUE. Plugged in the new JW Speaker lights. When the engine is running they are great. If I turn them of for turn on the heater, they start to flicker. Thoughts. Using stock wiring harness

Sounds like you need to upgrade your alternator. With the stock head lights when I turned on my heater at idle the headlights would dim. I installed a 120 amp Delco alt and that problem went away for me. Are running the power supply for the lights directly from the battery or pulling power from the stock headlight plugs?

Check your voltage at the light with the engine off, and verify what the JW specs call out for min voltage. LED drivers do not behave like incandescent lights, they will have full output then suddenly flicker/die at the low end of their tolerance when the driver can no longer make up for lack of voltage.

Need help. When car is running I am getting a full 12V to the LED headlights. When car is off or idling real low, only getting 10.5-11V which makes the lights flicker. JW Speaker said they need at least 11.5 volts. Any thoughts? Wonder if it is being caused by the LED light bulbs that I put in the side markers (without changing the flasher).

Check the voltage with the lights off and engine running, you should be in the 14V range. If not maybe an alternator issue. If you have good voltage with the lights off, then you need to upsize your wiring to prevent the voltage drop. Connecting straight off the battery (fused of course) and activating a relay or 2 with the stock wiring is the most direct route.

These look interesting also....
http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/tlc27270c.html
Any opinions?

I have these and they are great.

Need help. When car is running I am getting a full 12V to the LED headlights. When car is off or idling real low, only getting 10.5-11V which makes the lights flicker. JW Speaker said they need at least 11.5 volts. Any thoughts? Wonder if it is being caused by the LED light bulbs that I put in the side markers (without changing the flasher).

put in a headlight harness kit and that will fix the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom