Leatherique: products, process and before/after pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background
I applied leather conditioner a few times, but for the most part, I have neglected the leather in my 98 LC since I got it in 2003. It now has 245k on the clock, and everyone that sees it is amazed its nearly 20 years old…until they get inside. The sun and neglect have somehow magically turned both the front and rear seat bottoms to purple cardboard, and now, she needs new leather. The problem is: she just got about $2k in TB, WP, coils, bearings, rotors, etc., she finally got the sliders and rack she "needed" (thanks @reevesci) and she also really "needs" bumpers, skid plates, lockers, a new head unit, dual battery...you guys know the drill. Realistically, a windshield, radiator, alternator, axles and steering rack are probably all in her not too distant future.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

So, my leather was in about as bad a shape as it could be, while still intact: no exposed foam, rips, burns, etc., and I was looking to save some cash. It seemed like an ideal candidate for putting one of the leather restoration systems to the test. I was looking at ColorPlus or Leatherique, and went with Leatherique based on the amount of good feedback on this forum and others.

Long story short, it works. It's not snake oil nor does it have any magical powers. It's a system, that when carefully followed, can produce great results.

What to buy?
  • The Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean - in my opinion, everyone should have these two products. Ideally, buy these to maintain your leather long before it needs restored. If you plan to re-dye, buy these two and use them for a few months before you start. They are no-regrets purchases regardless of the state of your leather.
  • Crack Filler - it dries white, requiring you to sand, prep and dye. It works great for hiding scratches. I didn't repair any cuts in the leather, but apparently, this could also be used to smooth the leather after the cut has been patched from the back. As you'll see below, I do not believe this should be used to fill creases, especially on high-flex parts of the seat. The small jar goes a long way.
  • Super Prepping Agent - not sure what's in it or how it's better than mineral spirits or TSP. It’s cheap compared to the rest of their products, came with the kit…why risk something else.
  • Dye - get them to color match a dye from a sample that is representative of the good leather/vinyl left in your truck. My trim code is LA40, so I have a tan interior, not the gray. I ordered the kit below with the 'Beige' box checked on the order form and added a note requesting that they send me their '42 Oak LC' listed on their OEM color samples page. They sent me 'Beige' and it looked close enough, so I used it.

Why have them color-match?
Having Leatherique color match a sample will save you a ton of work. Regardless of the condition of your leather, there are areas that will be in good shape: sides, headrests, console, backs, etc. If your dye matches these areas, they can be left alone during a re-dye. If your dye is not color-matched, then these areas will need to get two coats just like the rest. A full re-dye is only necessary if you want to change the color of your seats, getting a dye that is not color-matched forces you to do a full re-dye. Each seat has a bunch of plastic pieces that cover some of the leather or vinyl. You’ll need to remove these to get to that material for a full re-dye whereas they can stay on if you are only spot-treating the areas that are worn.

Products I purchased:
Leatherique kit #3 LEATHERIQUE LTD - Detail $150 ($172 with shipping)
Description: Kit #3 Includes
(1) 32 oz Rejuvenator Oil
(1) 32 oz Prestine Clean
(1) 32 oz Super Prepping Agent
(1) 32 oz Leatherique Standard Color Dye
(1) 2oz Crack Filler
($30.00 UP CHARGE FOR CUSTOM COLORS)
full

(The prepping agent is empty, not clear. I went through about half of the other fluids.)

Tools and Materials:
  • Metric socket set
  • Shop vac
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • Various scrub brushes
  • Terry cloth rags-something lint-free
  • A couple buckets
  • Bondo spreaders or old credit cards
  • Sandpaper 2 sheets each of 220, 400, 600 and 1000 grit
  • Shallow tray
  • Folding tables or sawhorses/plywood (something to put all of your seats on in your garage or basement)
  • Preval spray gun and 4-5 power units
  • Small artist’s paint brushes
  • Painter’s plastic (comes on a roll at Lowe’s and Home Depot)
  • Distilled water
  • Acetone

Process:
The high-level process in the instructions is below, and the detailed instructions are attached. All done at once, it takes nearly a week. I had a full week with the wife out of town so I could borrow her car while the cruiser was down, but the process could be split into a couple weekends. I wasn't planning on doing a write-up, so I'm sorry I don't have many pics of the actual process.
  1. Rejuvenator Oil
  2. Wait 12/24 hours
  3. Prestine Clean
  4. Wait 48 hours
  5. Prepping Agent/Crack Filler
  6. Wait 12/24 hours
  7. Dye
  8. Wait 48 hours

Clean and condition
I pulled all my seats, moved them to the garage, removed all of the plastic pieces (which also needed cleaned), vacuumed them, applied the Rejuvenator Oil with a spray bottle and rubbed it in with rubber gloves. Probably took 3-4 hours and then left them to soak overnight. Next day they got spritzed with Prestine Clean and wiped down using a damp rag.

full

full

Leatherique's process recommends applying the oil to the seats in the vehicle on a warm day to create a steam room effect. I lucked out with a warm weekend in April, so I set them back in the truck and reapplied the oil. If it’s been a decade since any conditioner has been applied to your leather then it would likely benefit from multiple applications. I really should have waited and done 3-4 applications in July or August to really get the heat working on them. You can throw a trash bag over the seat if you need to run somewhere or move the truck, but I haven't read anywhere that black trash bags or parking with the seats facing the sun accelerates the process. The second time around I worked the oil in using scrub brushes, left the oil on for 48 hours and cleaned up using Prestine (some use of the scrub brushes in the seams) and the double-bucket method this guy used.

Prep
Sometime in 2008 when the front seats started to turn purple, I rattle-canned them with Nu-life color spray. Their sand color wasn’t a perfect match, but looked better than the purple. I’m pretty sure this junk was sealing out the Rejuvenator Oil from working it’s magic and it had to come off before the dye could go on. If you have tried any quick-fix products in the past, then this will create more work for you during the Prepping Agent phase. All of the seats went back into the garage and I wet-sanded all of the leather sections of the seats with 400-grit using the shallow tray and Prepping Agent, then hit the leather and vinyl all over with 600-grit. I should have done another round of the oil after the wet sanding, but I was in a rush. Next comes the Crack Filler. As you can see in the pics below, I went a little crazy with the crack filler on the driver’s seat. More to come on that. The Crack Filler should go on in thin layers using the Bondo applicators (or old credit cards.) Give it 20 minutes or so to dry, then another layer, repeat. Get it just proud of the leather and then sand it back flush. After getting it back flush using 220-grit (lightly), I went over it again with 400 and 600-grit, vacuumed and wiped down again using prepping agent and rags.
full

full

Applying the dye
I have an air compressor and a detail gun, but my regulator crapped out right when I was ready to spray the dye. I had a few Preval sprayers left over from an in-wall speaker grill project and decided to use those. Thinning the dye 10% with distilled water wasn’t enough, so I ended up going around 20-25%. I didn’t like the Prevals. They’ve worked great in the past on other things, but I felt like I was getting too much flow and it wasn’t spraying as dry as I would have liked. So the dye went on a little thicker than I would have preferred, was really prone to running and got the occasional air bubble. Runs and bubbles dry to nasty dark spots, avoid them at all costs. Instructions also say you can use a brush and the dye does do some self-leveling as it dries. So I'd be less concerned with leaving brush strokes than I was before I started. Artist's brushes are for getting the dye into the cracks and I used painter's plastic to tape off my garage like a murder room.

I'd use a detail gun over the Preval, if I could do it all over again, and if I'd color-matched, I'd probably gone the wipe-on route. I think I could have gotten nice thin coats that way and built it up to where no swirls were noticeable.

I let the dye go untouched for 48 hours as instructed. While the dye was curing, I soaked all of the plastic seat parts in dawn for a day, then ran them through the dishwasher. I used acetone to clean up any stubborn marks, then hit them with a light coat of Armor All. After reassembling and putting the seats back in the truck, I buffed them down and spot sanded any areas that felt rough with 1000-grit. It had a rubbery feel for a week or so that went away making me think that the dye is still curing after 48 hours and that leaving it unused for longer would benefit durability. The instructions also mention applying Carnauba wax as optional, and Leatherique also has a product, Klear Kote, intended to protect the finish. I didn't apply either of those, maybe I should have...

Attachments

• Leatherique Instructions.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 666
Last edited:
Results
Photos taken a few days after install.
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
2 month check-in
How's it holding up?
full

full

This spot in the center of the driver's seat is pretty bad. The leather is cracked in a few places and right at the seam making it difficult to patch, if I went that route. I don't really have any pics of it before, but it looked worse. I knew going in that this one wasn't going to be pretty after.
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

From what I can tell, the dye has issues adhering to the crack filler in spots that see a good amount of flex. The driver's side bolster near the door in the first few pics is not holding up well. I've got an email in to Leatherique asking what I should have done differently, I'll report back once I get a response.

My hypothesis is that I shouldn't have used the crack filler there, I should've done thinner coats of the dye and used the Klear Kote, Carnauba wax or some other type of protectant. Additionally, the bolster fit pretty loose on the foam beforehand and the leather there had been worn thin. Replacing or steaming the foam and reinforcing the leather with a piece of suede glued to the back seem to be common repairs on other vehicles and would've given the dye a better chance of succeeding by minimizing flex. Some cheap seat covers to protect the dye for the first few weeks wouldn't have hurt either.

Overall, I'm still very satisfied with my results. Having a few rough spots is much better than riding around on purple cardboard, and I have plenty of dye left to fix those spots. Leatherique makes great products, but I do get the impression it's run out of someone's garage: their website could use an update, their communication/support could be better, etc. If you made it this far, sorry about the novel. Hopefully someone will benefit from my experience.

I have been using ArmorAll products for years. Time to change!

Please change! ArmorAll is one of the worst things you can use. Use a quality product from Adams, Chemical Guys, Meguiars, etc. ArmorAll products will do more damage than good to anything you use them on.

Excellent write up thanks for taking the time. This is going to help everyone a bunch. From what I've been reading you did as good a job as could be done. Be interesting to see response from Leatherique.

I noticed you only used a small portion of the rejuvenator, as did I. I'm getting ready for my second cleaning and plan on putting it on really thick this time.

D, Thankfully my seats are in excellent condition, but they will be cleaned sooner than later. Thanks for the great write-up.

Once I get moved, I have a little R&D item to work with you on if your interested.

J

Jason,
I love the sliders and rack, so I'm in. Whatever you're building...

Dean

So I sent an email to Leatherique, and included some of the before and after pics:
Leatherique,
I recently re-dyed my interior using your #3 kit and followed the instructions included with my shipment.

Overall, I'm very happy with the results. My issue is with a few spots on the seat bolsters, mainly the drivers side bolster near the door. I'm trying figure out where I messed up. I used some crack filler on the creases and it seems like the dye does not adhere well to the crack filler on parts of seat that experience a lot of flex. I've included pictures below.

Would an application of your Klear Kote and some carnauba wax prevented the dye from coming off?
Is the crack filler not intended to be used in high-flex areas?
Should the seat foam been replaced and the worn leather reinforced underneath to minimize flex?

Thank you for your help, and please let me know if you have any recommendations for touching up the area.

Dean

Leatherique has a number of email addresses. I sent the above email to them all. After 4 days, received two responses:

Response 1:
Hi Dean;
Yes, the original condition of the seats indicate that new seat foam was necessary. Some klear kote may help, but the foam "remembers" where the creases are and it will continue to flex and wear off. Crack filler is for cracks, these areas needed reinforcement from underneath to stabilize the leather.

Kind regards,
George
www.Leatherique.com

Response 2:
Hi Dean;
That Bolster is so compressed and misshapen you will always have issues with it.
The foam needs to be replaced with new, firm foam to help keep the shape of the hides.

So, they both call out the foam. From my pictures, it's a pretty easy target for the blame. The first one hints at, "that's not what the crack filler is for", but doesn't really get into it.

I've seen pictures of replacement leather where they fit a little loose due to shrinking foam, and there are some YouTube videos of guys using steamers to bring back the foam.

This should be a consideration in picking your restoration product. There are rattle-can products that will adhere better to collapsing leather, not sure how permanent though. If you're willing to fix or replace the foam, Leatherique is pretty awesome, but new OEM foam will double your cost, and that's if you only replace the DS bottom. Much more if you order backs and bottoms for the front row.

From what I've read and experienced with the Leatherique products, I would:
  • Pull the leather cover from the bottom (probably requires hog ring pliers)
  • Steam the foam
  • Cut and glue a scrap piece of thick suede or leather to the underside of the bolster
  • Then start the restoration process, but do not use crack filler on the bolster creases
Even if steaming only has a temporary effect, it will support the leather long enough for the dye to fully cure. Depending on how long the steaming held up would determine whether I would replace the foam.

image1-2.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

That's an incredible difference between before and after, but how much of it was from the rejuvenator and how much was from the dye?

That's an incredible difference between before and after, but how much of it was from the rejuvenator and how much was from the dye?

What you see is from the dye. The Rejuvenator Oil is a cleaner and conditioner. It softens the leather and forces oil and dirt out.

Excellent write up thanks for taking the time. This is going to help everyone a bunch. From what I've been reading you did as good a job as could be done. Be interesting to see response from Leatherique.

I noticed you only used a small portion of the rejuvenator, as did I. I'm getting ready for my second cleaning and plan on putting it on really thick this time.

I did two cleanings with the Rejuvenator and it seemed like the Nu-life junk I sprayed on there a few years ago was blocking it from working into the leather. Since it is compatible with their dye my thought was to wet sand the Nu-life off, finish the re-dye, and then re-apply a few times this summer. I haven't gotten to it yet, but that's the plan.

Nice work and great write up! Incredible before and after, but disappointing in Leatherique that it's coming off in the high wear areas. Did you spray on the dye? It should hold up much better if you apply a finish clear coat (matte).

It's a shame that the LC seat wears so much on the left bolster and seat bottom. Have you looked into foam replacement?

Nice work and great write up! Incredible before and after, but disappointing in Leatherique that it's coming off in the high wear areas. Did you spray on the dye? It should hold up much better if you apply a finish clear coat (matte).

It's a shame that the LC seat wears so much on the left bolster and seat bottom. Have you looked into foam replacement?

I sprayed the dye and plan to use a clear coat after I go back and touch up. Foam is $150 from my local Toyota dealer. I'm leaning towards new OEM foam vs. steaming or DIY.

tI don't know if it's now run out of a garage but it was once run out of a basement, in central New Jersey that I visited circa 1993. The inventor of the product passed away without a will resulting in a disputed estate that ended up giving the rights to the product to two parties - one now called Leatherique and the other called Color-Plus. At some point big corporation SEM Products jumped in and that is who I now use - for no good reason. It would be interesting to do a three way comparison sometime to see if one stands out.

Got my '05 all oiled up and marinating in the Texas heat. My seats weren't bad, but the leather was getting hard. Just trying to make them last and not split.

Top tip: I was concerned about the rejuvenator oil soaking into the seat belts, especially on the second row seat. I wrapped the belts and latches with Glad press and seal wrap.

Question: I haven't read anywhere to apply or not to apply the rejuvenator oil to the steering wheel. Is this recommended? Hope so, because I applied a thin layer by hand.

The plan is to let it soak for two days before doing the pristine clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom