Leaking Front End

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by MYFJ62, Nov 13, 2007.

1. MYFJ62

MYFJ62

Sort of hoped my first post wasn't going to be a long these lines but here it goes... just picked up my first Cruiser on the weekend and drove it up to Parry Sound to the cottage - when I got out this morning I noticed a coffee looking liquid on the driveway. It is coming from the front end (near the brakes) out of ball joint looking thing (sorry I am no mechanic). Couldn't get a good picture it was too dark when I got home. Any suggestions on what it might be?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Front Range 4x4

Front Range 4x4

Welcome to Mud and congrats on the 62!

Don't be alarmed, sounds like you need to rebuild the knuckles. The seals are probably gone which is common of trucks of this vintage. It's expensive to pay someone to do it for you but merely time consuming and messy to do it yourself.

Be sure to check your brake fluid, make sure you're not losing that which could show up in the same place. The results could be disastrous if it's brake fluid!

Lots of info on this here!

Pics would be good, while you're at it post pics of the 62 as well, we like pics!
  3. RockDoc

RockDoc my bad habit SILVER Star

x2 on inner axle seals. The grease from the knuckles and the gear oil from the diff/axle are mingling and the resulting "groil" is leaking out around the knuckle seal. Get yourself a Factory Service Manual (best ~$70 you'll spend on the truck), a set of seals (track down the new Marlin Crawler inner seals), gaskets etc., a few dedicated tools (spindle nut socket, seal puller and driver......) and set asside a weekend. Get lots of paper towel and for goodness sake put some carboard down on the garage floor!!!

I did this job back in June, asside from being a complete mess, it wasn't bad. You'll have a chance to check your wheel and trunion bearings at the same time.

In the mean time, if you are concerned about the leakage, keep it in 2wd with the hubs unlocked. That will minimize further mingling.
  4. Isotel

Isotel Moderator

Welcome to MUD..

Most Likley your inner axle seals are shot, and leaking Gear oil from the Axle housing into the knuckles. so, Front axle needs to be rebuilt, new seals, and Grease everything.. (its a good idea on a new to you truck)

also its kind of a right of passage for all land cruiser owners..

it will take a couple of days, but only cost $100+ for parts. :grinpimp:
  5. 1phrogguy

1phrogguy

All good info so far. Here is a link to some procedures to the acutal work involved. http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=46447 if you search for front axel rebuild you will get 100's of posts on it.

Do it yourself and you can go from this:
    front axel rebuild 007.jpg

To this
    front axel rebuild 035.jpg

Welcome to Mud :flipoff2: (its the official greeting)
    front axel rebuild 007.jpg front axel rebuild 035.jpg
  6. MYFJ62

MYFJ62

Thanks a lot guys much appreciated.
    One last question - how soon should I be attending to this - obviously in a perfect world I would do it tomorrow but there is that whole work thing that gets in the way. Is this a fix I should be doing ASAP or can it wait awhile?? The truck is my DD for right now - unless my wife lets me borrow the brand new Accord....
  7. Joe Egolf

Joe Egolf

I got the complete kit[both sides] including the super Marlin seals from Marlin Crawlers for$85 olus ups
  8. RockDoc

RockDoc my bad habit SILVER Star

When in 2wd with the hubs free, the only thing that is affected is your trunion bearing (pivot for steering), and they are still seeing lube, just not the optimum kind. Do it when you are ready. No need to rush, it didn't get to this state overnight.
  9. Wile E Coyote

Wile E Coyote Dave's not here! SILVER Star

In the meantime, I'd at least check the level of your differential fluid, as that's part of the goop that you found on the driveway. It's a 5 minute job to check, and another 5 mins to add a quart of lube. (That' s assuming your plug isn't rust-welded shut.) :(
    Don't bother fully changing it, as that's a part of the later knuckle rebuild job.