LCLC Chat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll need to get my hands dirty on this one. I took a look at my 80 last night and noticed a huge circle of oil underneath the rear diff. Upon further inspection, it looks like both the pinion seal AND the large main differential seal need to be replaced... I filled it with gear oil, so it is going to OTMT tomorrow morning... But sometime this fall it will need to be addressed.
Mine is still leaking, but manageable since I'm not putting too many miles on it. I would prefer to do it in the near future as well. I think it would be a good idea to do both consecutively, same day.

Mine is still leaking, but manageable since I'm not putting too many miles on it. I would prefer to do it in the near future as well. I think it would be a good idea to do both consecutively, same day.
Agreed. I do think we need to have a Benke appreciation HAMOM though... All hands on deck to bring the chicken back to life.

The new Veterans tags don't look as good as the old ones, IMHO...

I got my new Veteran plate in the mail a few weeks ago - I was really disappointed, also. It looks like a standard P-tag. Might leave the new tag in the back, and 'forget'to swap them out. It should make good conversation, so long as I have the valid registration in the glovebox.

I like the new Veteran tag better, the old one looked odd on certain color vehicles

Hung out with Erik a bit and saw his new land. Gonna be awesome!

image.jpeg

A few chainsaws and a high wheel trimmer and this view of the marsh will be clear and beautiful.
image.jpeg

Erik chasing after Shelby with moderate success.
image.jpeg

Not long in to the trail, the mud started to get very thick... I hate mud. First opportunity I've had to try out the 4WD. Everything works as it should.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Went out on Saturday to get some brisket from renowned Texas pitmaster, John Lewis. It was outstanding; most likely the best brisket in Charleston. I ate at his place in Austin earlier this year, so I had some idea of what to expect and it did not disappoint. The Texas "hot guts" sausages were delightful too.

He'll be set up at Saturday's at Revelry Brewing for the summer until his restaurant opens up. They serve at 12 noon and I was there about 30 minutes prior and got 6th in line. By the time he opened to serve there were well over 100 people in line so I don't know if rolling up 30 minutes beforehand will work again next week.
I know this is an old post, Kyle, but John Lewis set up shop here permanently. The brisket and hot gut are very good! He serves a sandwich called the El Sancho - it's worth waiting for.

I know this is an old post, Kyle, but John Lewis set up shop here permanently. The brisket and hot gut are very good! He serves a sandwich called the El Sancho - it's worth waiting for.

I think he's a good addition to the Charleston dining scene. I was in town briefly in early July and had lunch at the restaurant - thought it was excellent - everything I remembered from his summer pop ups. I'd love to try one of his "Tex-Mex Tuesday" dinners - seems like he's doing tex-mex in a way that no one else is doing in CHS. Glad you enjoyed!

Okay, who is good with Diesel engines? It started last night and won't start today...
image.jpeg

what is it doing, Jeremy?

So you're driving that next week for the bbq, right?

@CharlestonG8R I like your avatar much better...I was beginning to worry about you with the my little pony pic...you know with the "RAINBOW" tail and all

So you're driving that next week for the bbq, right?

No sir, it needs a few things before I would consider it road worthy. The brakes need work, it's missing some lugnuts, the tires are old re-treads on split rims... Pretty sure it also needs a new battery. While the current battery is HUGE, I don't think it puts out enough amps when cranking. Also, I need to swap out the starter (I actually have a NOS starter to put in). I would like to rebaseline it as well. Oh, and it won't be heading to Mt Pleasant anytime soon... It tops out around 45 mph.

We can fix that

Just got home from being downtown at an annual event called Euphoria.....Thursday thru today foodie experience with ongoing gatherings. I believe tix for everything are $1,500. Was able to attend a dinner Friday and the brunch today gratis as the non profit my wife works for is a beneficiary of their profits. Anywho, after getting my wristband and walking thru the entrance/gate, the first booth is John Lewis Bbque and i had seen this thread yesterday and you guys weren't kidding, his brisket and sausage are slap your mama good! Gave a bite to my oldest daughter and she immediately exclaimed, "that's Salt Lick good"! She and I experienced the Salt Lick out in Driftwood, TX two years ago during her 90 day, 14,000 mile road trip out west.
I guess I need to go ahead and join the LCLC group.....I will be coming to Charleston probably at least 4 times a year as our company, oobe, is opening a store on King St. next month. Have met @ErikinSC & @CharlestonG8R in the last few months...look forward to possibly connecting with you guys.

Just got home from being downtown at an annual event called Euphoria.....Thursday thru today foodie experience with ongoing gatherings. I believe tix for everything are $1,500. Was able to attend a dinner Friday and the brunch today gratis as the non profit my wife works for is a beneficiary of their profits. Anywho, after getting my wristband and walking thru the entrance/gate, the first booth is John Lewis Bbque and i had seen this thread yesterday and you guys weren't kidding, his brisket and sausage are slap your mama good! Gave a bite to my oldest daughter and she immediately exclaimed, "that's Salt Lick good"! She and I experienced the Salt Lick out in Driftwood, TX two years ago during her 90 day, 14,000 mile road trip out west.
I guess I need to go ahead and join the LCLC group.....I will be coming to Charleston probably at least 4 times a year as our company, oobe, is opening a store on King St. next month. Have met @ErikinSC & @CharlestonG8R in the last few months...look forward to possibly connecting with you guys.
Ah, yes, Salt Lick! We visited my cousin a few years back in Austin and drove way out to the place. Man. As far as I'm concerned, they are the gold standard for beef ribs (Bobby Flay and Guy Fieri also hold this opinion). Their brisket is stupid good. What an atmosphere! When we spent a few months in San Antonio, I drove my coworkers out there. Everyone loved it except one guy... Apparently, the only barbecue in his world is pulled pork. Which isn't popular in Texas. Anyhow, glad you enjoyed Lewis! There are quite a few amazing places here in Charleston. Is Charleston the future of barbecue? | Features | Charleston City Paper

Look forward to hanging out with you, Jeff! Someone is always looking to hang out. Work has me busy during the week, but when it's cool out, we get together pretty often.

I heard it was hot in Charleston this past weekend...we were wheelin' in the snow out here in Colorado!

Took this picture at the top of Georgia Pass, 11.5K feet...Hope everyone is well and in good spirits!

full

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom