LC NOOB 1998 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys, I'm Dustin. I've been looking for an LC for a while now. Id rather go with an older one but my brother in law who is not very mechanically inclined is looking to unload this one. It a 98 with 230,000 miles. Bone stock except for grill guard. Runs good from what I can tell. Looks to have the apps problem. Starts and idles fine, no rev until full throttle. I can turn the apps by hand and it feels pretty free until it catches and opens the butterfly. I'm going to start by cleaning the TB and pulling the battery cables to reset and go from there. I have been through the threads about the apps/tsp already so I know what I could be in for. Interior is so so but fixable.

He's wanting $5500. Sound about right? It's so dirty from sitting at my shop for the last 6 months.

6A03D8B5-AB32-42EF-A946-4D4416223C16_zpscayiwu24.jpg

5AAC21F3-010E-4228-ABDF-1B78D3C07072_zpsor4m2ntn.jpg

626C76EC-52A0-4438-927A-E5B062DB6796_zpsfnhskwja.jpg

32F49A19-B0E3-4070-824F-D9D7D2C8454D_zpshyyiwczx.jpg

It has leather seat covers over the tattered originals, aftermarket head unit. Sun roof is not working to well either. Rides very nice. Motor sounds strong.

Let me know what y'all think.

talk him down to $4k

based on the fact its not running, its been sitting for a year, it looks like s***, and and the seat covers are shot.

Agree on all points. It's pretty rough. I'll get him down. My biggest fear is the timing belt. I have no way of knowing if it's been changed. The more research I do the more I agree with you. 4 to 4500 tops.

Thanks for your input

timing belt is the least of your worries. I would worry about dry rot, bad, gas, bad fluids, etc. Then clean the thing and get the paint condition... then get it drivable and see how it does. 98 in that condition is 4k maybe. 3500 with that brush guard on it :)

Ha ha. Yea it will come off in short order. I'll get it home and really go over it before I hand over any money. He's not too worried about it.

Throttle body and timing belt will run you ~$3K at the dealer. If the seller was anyone other than my brother-in-law, I'd use these to negotiate the price down (...but then do all the work myself and replace the APPS/TPS, not the whole TB. Save your money for fun parts.)

If it were my brother-in-law, I'd be offering to get rid of it for him. "Sign the title over to me and if I get any cash for it, I'll split it with you." Or "I'll beat whatever CarMax will give you by $1."

More than likely, this will be a great truck after a few $100 in parts, but it could need a steering rack, tires, radiator, leather, and other expensive repairs i.e. more than $5500 in repairs. Like you suggest, I'd start with some throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush. Good luck!

I have thought about just flipping it because I don't really "need" it but hey I like toys too. These are super popular around here so I could probably come out of after getting it fixed. The rubber looks good, hoses etc. I have driven it and it rides and steers really nice. I really think after getting the throttle issue fixed it'll be a good driver. I may go ahead and order the apps sensor and pull the TB this weekend and clean it up. I can do all the work myself so that's not a big concern.

I have let it sit and idle for 45 minutes to see if it starts getting hot. Not as good a test as driving it but it did stay right in the middle. AC and heat work. Windows all work. Sunroof is sticky. It will move but I had a hard time getting it to close. Back gate latch has some issues too.

Thanks for the input guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom