Largest size of tyres on 16x6 Toyota Rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi ,
I need to know what is the largest tyre size in terms of width n height I can put on these Toyota alloy rims.
Currently mounted Yokohama Geolandar series 275/70/R16 114 H
(31inch) ,
need a bit wider tyre with deep tread in A/T or M/T size, stock suspension on Fj40.

MAK_7243.JPG

What does 16x6 JJ 0 mean ?

MAK_7243-1.JPG

MAK_7243-1-2.JPG

Any help would be really appreciated .

Cheers!
MAK
MAK_7243.JPG
MAK_7243-1.JPG
MAK_7243-1-2.JPG

largest would probably be a 38/10.5 swamper or 11.00r16 michelin military (also about a 38" tire). a 9.00r16 or Q78 might give a couple more options but they are 36". If you aren't actually after the largest size 255/85r16 (33") is a good match to those rims, or 285/75r16, also 33'" and "a bit wider and taller" than what you have. 16x6 I presume you know are height and width of rim, 0 offset.

16x6 JJ 0

16" rim
6" width
JJ is the contour of the mount flange ... JJ is a bit taller (afaik 2mm) than a regular J rim... a JJ is mostly used on truck rims

0 most likely date code as fast Eddy said ... year 2000 possibly because a 1990 I had seen as 90 before

235/85 is about the biggest tire that will fit without rubbing with a stock suspension and uncut quarter panels.

Pete

largest would probably be a 38/10.5 swamper or 11.00r16 michelin military (also about a 38" tire). a 9.00r16 or Q78 might give a couple more options but they are 36". If you aren't actually after the largest size 255/85r16 (33") is a good match to those rims, or 285/75r16, also 33'" and "a bit wider and taller" than what you have. 16x6 I presume you know are height and width of rim, 0 offset.

Thanks for replying Martin ,cheers! :)

0 offset would make it a 3" backspace wheel. I would think that it is a 4" or 4.25" bs wheel. Maybe 0 is a date code? As in 1990.

Thanks for replying Eddy :) cheers!

16x6 JJ 0

16" rim
6" width
JJ is the contour of the mount flange ... JJ is a bit taller (afaik 2mm) than a regular J rim... a JJ is mostly used on truck rims

0 most likely date code as fast Eddy said ... year 2000 possibly because a 1990 I had seen as 90 before

Yes Johnny, JJ is usually for 4x4 trucks as these wheels are from a Hilux Surf/4 Runner etc.
0 would be for model 2000 I suppose.
Thank you for clarifying this, cheers! :)

235/85 is about the biggest tire that will fit without rubbing with a stock suspension and uncut quarter panels.

Pete

Diggin that size Pete ,thanks for replying cheers! :)

======================================
======================================

I found this very useful article,I think I can go +1 from the current size.With 6 inch wide rims not too many options.

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Tires.shtml#WHEELS

Hope it helps others too.
Many thanks for all the replies
MAK

I've run the 235's and they just squeaked by the fenders almost rub the inner fender -just perfect in the rear. In the front you may have to limit the turning radius a little bit to clear the steering gear and inner fender.

This is on 70 series 16 x 6 zero offset steel wheels.

Well the 235 fit I prefer the 7.50 tire. It leaves just the right amount of clearance and is almost as large as the 235.
Pete

Last edited:
Pete, I think one can get away with this size on 70 series as it has wider diff/tubes than a 40 series.(never measured though)

And I might be wrong about the zero aside by JJ , it might be the offset, the year model might be somewhere at the back as different makes have different style of markings but putting the offset number next to contour designation of wheels (JJ) makes sense.

These are new tyres roughly less than 500 KM driven on road and I had to buy the rims as one of my older 15 inch steel rim had a crack while going in a ditch.The Toyota 16 inch used rims were very cheap and clean and I had the opportunity to install slightly larger tyres.
The tyre shop guy actually corrected the turning radius as the tyre was rubbing on the far right full turn.
According to him that was it.I need to add spacers if I wanted larger(wider) tyres.

I need to find correct offset rims for my desired 33" size and width and might add a leaf too,besides I'm going to install long travel shocks that can give additional 1 to 2 inch lift.
Not opting for a lift kit or SOA but might add adapter/spacers(though not fond of).

According to this chart 3.5 inch of backspacing is what I have now and it's the limit
Backspacing chart.jpg

MAK

I ran those on 70 series wheels with 40 series axles. With a little lift you might be able to get away with 255/85. comes out to 33 inches. If I had a couple of inches of lift I give those a shot.

Pete

PS you might need to lengthen the bump stops and bit to keep from rubbing in the rear.

I ran those on 70 series wheels with 40 series axles. With a little lift you might be able to get away with 255/85. comes out to 33 inches. If I had a couple of inches of lift I give those a shot.

Pete

PS you might need to lengthen the bump stops and bit to keep from rubbing in the rear.

There is plenty of room right now with the 31s , with 2 inch lift 33s can be accommodated easily ,the problem is not the height but the width and there are few solutions to it.
1 - I must find rims with an offset of -12 to -26 to avoid adapter / spacers.
2 - I need to install 60 or 70 series tubes/difs.(expensive solution)
3 - Install 2 inch adapter/spacer (not a reliable solution)

Rear can be handled but it's the front where the steering rod starts rubbing the tires.

MAK

Last edited:
Rims like this e.g :

1offset rim.jpg

Hi ,
I need to know what is the largest tyre size in terms of width n height I can put on these Toyota alloy rims.

View attachment 1040343

Are those on your cruiser currently? If it's a FJ40, I'm astounded if there are not spacers in the front.

11" wide tire on a 6" wide rim is not optimal. You really want 4" or less difference between the rim width and the tread width. You "can" do it, but it's definately not optimal. You can get some pretty interesting tire wear.

0 offset would make it a 3" backspace wheel. I would think that it is a 4" or 4.25" bs wheel. Maybe 0 is a date code? As in 1990.

Yes,

Pete, I think one can get away with this size on 70 series as it has wider diff/tubes than a 40 series.(never measured though)
Here are my findings on 70 series axles.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1995-fzj75-axle-specs.794218/

These are new tyres roughly less than 500 KM driven on road and I had to buy the rims as one of my older 15 inch steel rim had a crack while going in a ditch.The Toyota 16 inch used rims were very cheap and clean and I had the opportunity to install slightly larger tyres.
The tyre shop guy actually corrected the turning radius as the tyre was rubbing on the far right full turn.
According to him that was it.I need to add spacers if I wanted larger(wider) tyres.

I need to find correct offset rims for my desired 33" size and width and might add a leaf too,besides I'm going to install long travel shocks that can give additional 1 to 2 inch lift.
Not opting for a lift kit or SOA but might add adapter/spacers(though not fond of).

According to this chart 3.5 inch of backspacing is what I have now and it's the limit
View attachment 1040565 MAK

Adjusting the turning radius is done with the knuckle stops, not the tie rod ends. TRE's can be adjusted for proper toe-in, and modifying them as a form of steering stop adjustment is a really bad idea if you like your tires.

Those rims are for a dually.. Definitely not a good option..

Depending on what tire you actually want (38 to 40") you want at least an 8" to 10" wide rim at a minimum. the wider 38" tires can even benefit from a 12" wide rim. Backspacing will (at least 3.5 or 3.75") be similar on most of your rim choices. The width of the rim will differ.

With 38's/40's you will need to lift the truck a lot or cut the tar out of the body to prevent rubbing.

Are those on your cruiser currently? If it's a FJ40, I'm astounded if there are not spacers in the front.

11" wide tire on a 6" wide rim is not optimal. You really want 4" or less difference between the rim width and the tread width. You "can" do it, but it's definately not optimal. You can get some pretty interesting tire wear.

Depending on what tire you actually want (38 to 40") you want at least an 8" to 10" wide rim at a minimum. the wider 38" tires can even benefit from a 12" wide rim. Backspacing will (at least 3.5 or 3.75") be similar on most of your rim choices. The width of the rim will differ.

With 38's/40's you will need to lift the truck a lot or cut the tar out of the body to prevent rubbing.

lol, yeah I missed the part in the original post where he said a stock suspension, and jumped straight to biggest size tire that can go on a 16x6 rim. those taller tires get put on domestic 16x6.5 no real issue, and with that tall a sidewall it would work, perhaps not optimal as you say. Agree for a 38 or 40 wider would help even just to gain a little track width/stability.

I mentioned 0 as being offset as a guess since it seemed it would be close for those narrow rims, but could well be the date code instead. A 6" wide alum rim at 0 offset means the bead is 3" inside and outside the mounting face, but then add the thickness of the rim and the profiled edge and you do end up closer to 3.5" of backspacing, because that is measured to the edge of rim not the bead, and edge to edge a 16x6 rim is not 6" wide.

Also, the extra 1/2" radius does make a 16" rim more forgiving on TRE clearance than a 15". Not to say there won't be other issues with interference to body, steering link etc.

Yes,

Here are my findings on 70 series axles.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1995-fzj75-axle-specs.794218/

Adjusting the turning radius is done with the knuckle stops, not the tie rod ends. TRE's can be adjusted for proper toe-in, and modifying them as a form of steering stop adjustment is a really bad idea if you like your tires.

Those rims are for a dually.. Definitely not a good option..

==========================
Hi Mace,
First I need to clear things out as it seems I have confused ppl by my previous posts on that "33x10.50s on stock 40?" thread as I was answering and questing at the same time.
And what I'm asking and stating on this thread.

I have 2 FJ40s , in this thread I was asking about my DD FJ40 which has 16x6 rims with 0 offset and 31 tyres (275x70x16)and 2F engine with 4F gear,according to my findings I have already exceeded the max.recomended tyre size (265x70x16) on 16x6 rims with 3.5 inch backspacing.But anyway they are running fine on road and if they will ever see some offroading that might be a dirt road with 2WD dry run and H4x4 on a rainy day.
Although to test 2F engine's power n torque with these tyres I did a 10 minute abuse by driving it in L4x4 horizontally in a harvested corn field which had about 14 inch deep n 18 inch wide ditches and the tyres did not rub on both ends.
And yes no spacers,I'm not sure how he managed to clear that 1mm space that was rubbing (not a very techy guy myself) but it's running very smooth and I don't drive over 100KM/H so pretty much satisfied with the ride.
===============
===============
Now about the 38-40+ inch tyres, those inquires were for the 2nd FJ40 which will be build around these giant tyres as I want it to be a true high power rescue and self capable machine and not the one that gets dragged out of mud :).Right now it has a fresh rebuild 2F with 3F gears.I've had the rusty body parts patched with 14 gauge sheet n base painted for protection.I am thinking of it to be a 2 seater single cab with full doors and roll cage with the tub being utilised for max utility.2 high lift jacks,4 jerry cans one rear and one front winch,extra fuel tank,2 extra tyres,camping gear for 2 ppl etc etc, in short a domesday x mad max type thing,I hope you get the idea :).

Road clearance can only be achieved through larger tyres apart for the body lift n shaving which again is usually for the giant tyres.

The dually rim pic was posted as an idea for a single rim n tyre combo to avoid spacers ,however the adapter/spacer combo is much more reliable as per having only spacers.Inshort I need to find the best rim/tyre combo first before I think about anything else.
So far it's been 14 months and I couldn't find serious time to get this project started but as being a novice I'm gathering info that I should get the right parts when I start this (monumental) task :)
A new thread will be started for all this BTW.

cheers
MAK

Stick with suspension lifts and body cutting. That will easily get you room for 40" tires.

Figure out what tires you want. Then get the corresponding rims with about 3.5" backspacing.

And, for a tire that size, going wider in the axle dept can be helpful. Not absolutely necessary, but helpful.

lol, yeah I missed the part in the original post where he said a stock suspension, and jumped straight to biggest size tire that can go on a 16x6 rim. those taller tires get put on domestic 16x6.5 no real issue, and with that tall a sidewall it would work, perhaps not optimal as you say. Agree for a 38 or 40 wider would help even just to gain a little track width/stability.

I mentioned 0 as being offset as a guess since it seemed it would be close for those narrow rims, but could well be the date code instead. A 6" wide alum rim at 0 offset means the bead is 3" inside and outside the mounting face, but then add the thickness of the rim and the profiled edge and you do end up closer to 3.5" of backspacing, because that is measured to the edge of rim not the bead, and edge to edge a 16x6 rim is not 6" wide.

Also, the extra 1/2" radius does make a 16" rim more forgiving on TRE clearance than a 15". Not to say there won't be other issues with interference to body, steering link etc.

Ha ha Martin I was kinda taken aback when you mentioned 38 swamper :) but anyway it turns out I already have the max size mounted on 16x6 rims :) a 17x9 rim might give me better options but right now I'm pretty much satisfied with this size but only if I need to go to a rocky trail might think of changing current rims/tyres.
cheers!
MAK

Stick with suspension lifts and body cutting. That will easily get you room for 40" tires.

Figure out what tires you want. Then get the corresponding rims with about 3.5" backspacing.

And, for a tire that size, going wider in the axle dept can be helpful. Not absolutely necessary, but helpful.

Yes, there surely will be max lift and body modifications ,I've got that picture in my mind by seeing too many samples, tires are pretty much narrowed down but it's the rims that I need to sort out and yes i'm absolutely into changing wider axles they'll help a lot with increased center of gravity.
i'm thinking of going for 100 series axles as the engine will either be a gasser v8 or st.6 diesel.

100 series axles are IFS in the states.. Not exactly the best choice. Dunno where you are tho.

Rims are easy. Just figure out what tire you want and what axles you are gonna run.

100 series axles are IFS in the states.. Not exactly the best choice. Dunno where you are tho.

Rims are easy. Just figure out what tire you want and what axles you are gonna run.

I'm from Pakistan,here we have lots of FJ40s recently decommissioned and auctioned by the army they had about 30 thousand or so and it's all new trend and opportunity opened for 4x4 enthusiasts .Parts of nearly all kind and series of TLCs are easily available civilian model was BJ40 in diesel,still some running ,my late father bought a new BJ40 in 1979 but sold it before I could have my hands on it :)
I learned driving at 12 in a Land rover and from 26yrs I'm keeping my first 89 Suzuki SJ410.I have 3 cars but get nervous while driving a car ,I guess I'm totally into old model rough n tough 4x4s,don't like to drive my 02 Prado even :)

80 and 100 series are very much loved by 4x4 enthusiasts here and they restore them with v8s or 6cl st. diesels (mostly Toyota engines)

i might not find the rims here i'm looking for my project ,either will import from Dubai or USA.
You might have come across "The Phantom" 4 door stretched FJ40 made by a Pak army officer ,that vehicle was actually build after he got hold of 42 inch tyres n rims :)

So, what axles do you recommend ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom