1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Landcruiser restoration shop

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by tmonty, Feb 23, 2012.

1. tmonty

tmonty

I owned & operated Rover Restorations in Greenfield, IN for 8 years from 1992-2000 & restored Land Rover Series vehicles. We did overland expedition type special builds, stock restorations, daily drivers, etc.

I sold the business to a couple younger lads & they ended up spitting up & both going their own ways doing work on Rovers!!! They are still in business as far as I know.

I am considering doing the same thing for Landcruisers!!!! Build overland type expedition vehicles, daily drivers, stock rebuilds, etc.

I love Landcruisers very much every since my first one back in 1983!!!! I have the drive & desire to make this venture full time & would enjoy working with my east & west coast brothers!!!!!! I am in central IL 2 hours east of St Louis!!!

If a few opportunities will surface to jump start my venture, I'll become a sponsoring member of Mud & work with existing sponsors to launch my venture.

Hope to hear some feedback from the midwestern crowd!!!!

:)

2. tmonty

tmonty

FWIW-I have a paint shop already in operation with the owner ready to retire & sell me his operation!! Some of his clients include Ted Nugent, Jay Leno, Dolly Parton, & several pro athletes!!! Trained & highly skilled restoration workers already in place. I also have one of the best mechanics in the area that is a 3rd generation certified mechanic on board. He needs somebody to organize his time & maximize his time wrenching!!!! He is in his late 40's & very knowledgable. The restoration guys are in their 40's & 50's also!!! Not a bunch of kids with a dream!!!!

3. Heartworm

Heartworm

I wish you all the success in the world. I am not sure that you are located in the epicenter of cruiser activity, which could hurt your business plan. However, to borrow from the old Kevin Costner movie about baseball, "build it and they will come". Look no further than Jim C. in Ohio and Kevin Rowland (formerly from New York, now in Oregon?). Hope you find a niche! The same topics keep coming up over and over on this forum...study them.. Lots of folks want wider wheels that fit (16" would be nice), they have rust problems in their quarter panels or roof, there is not much in the way of a comprehensive, correct desmog kit, can rusted frames be resurected?, every old stock cruiser has the same tired driver's seat, stock headlights suck, the stock console is a plastic piece of s**t, etc. There is not a economical way to get a new carpet. I have no idea what the financial success to attacking one or more of these problems would bring, but these are the real deal for a lot of 60's owners. The same theme can be carried over to the 40 series.

4. tmonty

tmonty

I grew up just south of Jim C in OH!!! I know the midwest isn't the Cruiser mecca like CA, AR, TX areas are, but when I went to buy my FJ60 in Chicago from craigslist, the guy had 5 people in line in case I never showed up!!! 2 offered him $500 & $1000 more than I was paying!!!! I paid $3000 for a truck that is probably worth $2000 in the SW!!!! But it was complete & better shape than most form the midwest!!!

I felt I must resurrect it!!!!

I hope I can get to some of these guys & get started!!!!! I had a guy that has a 75 FJ40 pull me over yesterday & say "I have to send this thing to CA to get work done to it!!!" That's what got this whole idea rattling around in my mind!!!!!!

I have been thru this once, so I know what I am getting into!!!! :)

5. tmonty

tmonty

As far as a niche!! I'm thinking of building custom higher strength custom engineered FJ60/62 frames to handle conversions & stock strength ones for replacement frames!!!! Something any FJ60/62 owner within 200 miles of me would need!!!! Maybe bumpers too!!!

I attended Ohio University majoring in Chemical Eng & got my masters at Ohio State in Welding Engineering. I grew up in a machine shop/fabrication shop owned by my father!!!

Shipping cost seems to make these items very pricey for us midwesterners!!!!!!

Just a thought!!!!!!!!

6. amaurer

amaurer

I see you're excited, enthusiasm is a good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. justbecause

justbecause perpetually lost.

I go to IL on a regular basis, my 80 has 240k miles, Ill be looking for a quality diesel swap within the next 200k miles.... and like most green 80s my paint is on its last leg... will yall do head liners?

8. Hugh Heifer

Hugh Heifer Stapler....where's my stapler. ... SILVER Star

9. krzyabncanuck

krzyabncanuck GOLD Star

I would say go for it. If you were good with Rovers then you will already have some people tht know you and know the work you do and they will tell their friends that own cruisers.

10. tmonty

tmonty

We did outstanding with Rovers!!! Had customers from all over!!! Same situation, wasn't the hotbed like the northeast US is, but was busy as crap!!!!

My dad's shop has laser table, shears, & brakes that will do up to 1/2" SS & 1" mild steel. Also he is the local steel distributor for all the welding shops within 60 miles!!! So I have a head start there!!!!

That's why I think frames & bumpers may be a good niche!!!

11. tmonty

tmonty

Oh, forgot to say!!

Does anyone think aluminum frames/bumpers would be cool???

Make these bricks lighter!!!!!

Just thinking!!!!

12. beno

beno 33030-60450 Supporting Vendor Moderator

If you are in the midwest, you'd also better be "into" body work...

Or at least have a good body guy.

I'll be happy to get you a good pricing structure on OEM parts. ;) Need more wholesale accounts.

Good luck on your new endeavor.

:cheers:
    -onur

13. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Mr. Enthusiasm-

It is Land Cruiser.

Good luck.

14. GeologistFelix

GeologistFelix

Aluminum bumpers and sliders would be awesome for 60s/80s. If there was a similar but aluminum alternative to the ARB and the MAF/4Plus bull bars, in the same price range, I'd absolutely get one instead. I would paint it, though. I'm not a big fan of the brushed aluminum bumper look that's so common in Australia and Japan.

15. amaurer

amaurer

Uh, aluminum sliders??

That... sounds like a terrible idea to me, does such a thing exist??

16. tmonty

tmonty

Frame & body repair/replacement will be our specialty!!!!!! :)

Being in the midwest, every Land Cruiser could use our services!!!!!!

17. Vic Jost

Vic Jost

BJ42 needs body work

tmonty, get back to me. I have a '84 BJ42 in need of body work in St. Louis

needs repair on :

front fenders
    rear inner wheel wells
    rear quarters
    side steps

18. landcruiserjunky

landcruiserjunky

It is very hard to pull a part time cruiser venture regardless of the specialty. If you've been On mudd long enough youve seen enough come and go. You will need one hell of a business plan as well as sOme seriOus mula

19. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

You will not get as much money out of LC owners as you did out of Rover owners.

just something to think about.

20. subzali

subzali

Good luck in your venture, you may want to read some posts from crushers here on this site about doing business in the Land Cruiser world. Most of it you probably already know, and it's only one viewpoint, but it is coming from the perspective of being in the Land Cruiser market. Rocky Mountain Cruisers here in Denver has been doing it for years and appears to still be doing well even under new ownership, so it can definitely be done. You may be well located in that midwest vacuum to suck up a lot of customers that would otherwise have to go to RMC, MAF, CCOT, TLC, or elsewhere to get the same services performed.