LandCruiser Expedition 2016! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is true. Plan is to leave Williams lake Saturday Aug 27 (free camping in my Moms driveway, btw)

Return when we have to. I have the whole week off but we won't be that long.

If anyone is interested (seriously) then get ahold of me and I will share more of the plan :)

Wow. Expedition, and mom's driveway.

Jeezus guys, is this what it's come to? Time for a bulk order of compass stickers for the hoods or your trucks yet?

Dr Livingston , Edmund Hillary, Marco Polo...Hell even the guy who decides to go to the Costco on the far side of town...One of them is going to rise from the grave and cockpunch you if keep this up.

EDIT....almost forgot....:flipoff2:

Ok with departure date rapidly approaching lets take a Roll call and I'll spout some details.

Current List of Attendees

@Koopz - Keith
@cspence - Cale
Chris...no handle
@Gsb15 - Graham
@Toshi38 - Stephen
@franken60 - Lachlan
@ColinStuart - Colin

Any One Else who is interested let me know as this can change plans on where we stay certain nights

Current Plan August 5th - 8th

Day 1
-(as request from Graham) depart Victoria at an ungodly hour of 6am to arrive in Campbell River around 930-10am.
People leaving from Victoria are welcome to meet up before heading North, otherwise meet in Campbell River at the Shell station by the fried Chicken Joint (150 Brant Dr, Campbell River, BC V9H 1V8) where we did last year...

-From there we will top up on fuel, grab a bite if desired and head out towards Gold River.

-Campsite 1 will be a a returning feature ...Camp Lake.
Large enough for a group our size, nice water to swim in, a few trails to drive around on and a short drive to Gold River the Next Morning
Google Maps

Day 2
-Depart Camp lake Late Morning, Drive to Gold River and meet up with any Late to show members.

-Make a Run to Donner Lake for the afternoon, make lunch, grab a beer and head out.

-Campsite 2: Kunlin Lake (depending on if anyone is there before us)
I've never been to Kunlin Lake Camp area, but other members have and said it was a nice spot. This spot is near the trail head to Donner Lake and Remains Close to Gold River for those who need to leave on Sunday to head back to Victoria.
Google Maps

Day 3
- Day 3 is a different Day as there will be a large amount of Gravel Roads. If we are confident that there is a route from Tahsis to Zeballos the I think that is the way we will take. Otherwise I suggest we head towards Woss from Gold river and skip Tahsis completely. These are decisions that can be made once we are on the trip. I have a GPS with BRMB installed and can find roads and places to camp.

Day 4
-For those who need to...head home. for the others, that's up in the air, go north, go south...have at er.

Currently that is what we have in mind. if there are any questions, comments or concerns, post them up on this thread or feel free to message me in private.

cheers!

Lachlan Palmer

Land Cruiser Expedition

Last edited:
Not sure of my condition after surgery, I will know closer to the date.

Thanks for all the work organizing this Lachlan.

I regrettably won't be on this trip, but maybe I'll share a couple thoughts for those that are; just some things to think about.

In my opinion, there is no real point in getting up so early in the morning if you are just heading to Camp Lake the first night. It's relatively close, and will leave most of the day free where you could just be driving to a more desirable and remote destination.

The second thing I'd mention, is the area around Camp Lake is pretty populated, so it could very well be that they've blocked off the little round about by the gate. Might be worth just skipping it altogether, and camping at Kunlin Lake the first night. If it's full, you could either do Donner or Star Lake (that little one on the way to Kunlin that we swam at last year).

This would leave the next three days to explore new territory which is a lot more exciting. Last year when I looked into it, I believe heading up the Nimpkish River Valley was a route that opened up a massive amount of options. Guaranteed to be camping along that River and at the many lakes surrounding it. It also connects to the highway that goes to Tahsis and thus make a round circuit with no back tracking. Could make two days of that route. This also gets you away from highly populated areas which makes it way easier to find good camping and no over protective private property owners.

Just my two cents. Wish i could come! i hope some of you guys have the GPS maps that I've been sharing out, if not let me know and I'll give them to you.

Thanks for all the work organizing this Lachlan.

I regrettably won't be on this trip, but maybe I'll share a couple thoughts for those that are; just some things to think about.

In my opinion, there is no real point in getting up so early in the morning if you are just heading to Camp Lake the first night. It's relatively close, and will leave most of the day free where you could just be driving to a more desirable and remote destination.

The second thing I'd mention, is the area around Camp Lake is pretty populated, so it could very well be that they've blocked off the little round about by the gate. Might be worth just skipping it altogether, and camping at Kunlin Lake the first night. If it's full, you could either do Donner or Star Lake (that little one on the way to Kunlin that we swam at last year).

This would leave the next three days to explore new territory which is a lot more exciting. Last year when I looked into it, I believe heading up the Nimpkish River Valley was a route that opened up a massive amount of options. Guaranteed to be camping along that River and at the many lakes surrounding it. It also connects to the highway that goes to Tahsis and thus make a round circuit with no back tracking. Could make two days of that route. This also gets you away from highly populated areas which makes it way easier to find good camping and no over protective private property owners.

Just my two cents. Wish i could come! i hope some of you guys have the GPS maps that I've been sharing out, if not let me know and I'll give them to you.

there are a few members who cant stay until monday, thus leaving sunday. we were talking at the meeting and thought it wouldnt be a bad idea to try to stay in an area that would provide easy departure on sunday for those who need to. but this can all be hammered out closer to the date. beauty of bush camping is its all up in the air up until the last moment regardless!

thanks for the suugestions Nick!, I'll scope out some spots tomorrow on Google earth and cross reference to the BRMB and think up some new exciting spots!

Got room for another Cruiser to come along? Ive got my sliders on and am ready to test them out!

13781962_10157297450735235_3933701130999570331_n.jpg

So it sounds like a couple people won't be able to get Friday off, so they will have to meet us up late friday night.
If that's the case I actually think that we could get away with leaving a little later (hour or two) and plan to head out of campell aroubd noon.
I have an satellite thing I can text message on, so if anyone who is comming up late can give me their number I can message them and give them the exact location we end up on Friday.

Should be a great time, (dispute possible thunder storms)
See you all Friday.

Guys, I've got two radios I need mud shipped up to Cale who will also be on this trip. Time is flying, can I drop them off to one of you guys tomorrow night?

Who's getting stoked?! 2 sleeps until departure! Might head part was tomorrow evening if anyone else is down!

Camp near Nanaimo tomorrow? I gotta do some wrenching in the afternoon but I can run somewhere in the evening.

Camp near Nanaimo tomorrow? I gotta do some wrenching in the afternoon but I can run somewhere in the evening.

thats what im thinking! not sure when i can pull away from vic, but ill try to asap

Damn wish I wasn't working! Just got a RTT too.... Have a great run guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom