Land Use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

United States
Department of
Agriculture Forest
Service
Sierra National Forest
1600 Tollhouse Road
Clovis, CA 93611
(559) 297-0706
FAX: (559) 294-4809
TTY/TDD: (559) 322-0425 Sierra National Forest - Welcome!

CD Contents
EIS/ROD CD User Guide
PDF Maps Help
EIS and ROD
Maps

Analysis Maps

File Code:
1950-3/7700/2350-5

Date:
April 8, 2010

Dear Interested Party:

I am pleased to announce that the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) and the Record of Decision (ROD) Subpart B – Travel Management are completed and available for the Sierra National Forest Motorized Travel Management project. I want to thank the many committed individuals, tribes, government agencies and private organizations who have participated in this effort. Public involvement was an important part of this process and your input and effort enabled Edward Cole to make a decision that I believe is good for the Forest and the people who use it.

It has been decided to implement Alternative 5 with some modifications. The modifications made to Alternative 5 are in response to comments received from the public. I have reviewed the decision and believe the selection of this alternative best meets the purpose and need; responds to the issues of motorized access, motorized use and land ownership conflicts; and responds to impacts to non-motorized recreation experiences; ensures natural and cultural resource protection; and results in an integrated and safe transportation system for all users.

Although the decision makes changes to National Forest Transportation System (NFTS), including mixed use on some roads, the effects of these changes have been carefully considered and found the effects not to adversely affect the human environment. The decision has been determined to be safe and after review of the Traffic Safety Analysis, the decision does not present safety hazards to the public. These changes to Alternative 5 respond to public comment by enhancing the recreation opportunities, enhancing recreationist convenience and resolving access conflicts. The mixed use changes also reduce maintenance costs.

The following summary highlights the main points of the decision. The FEIS and ROD provide more detail. This decision will:

Prohibit cross-country travel by motorized vehicles.

Add approximately 70 miles of unauthorized routes to the NFTS as trails and 15 miles as roads. Add 10 areas (98 acres) to the NFTS open to all vehicles. Add 10 parking lots/staging areas (7 acres) open to passenger cars only. Place seasons of use on additions to the NFTS with the exception of one parking lot that is open year round.

Establish season of use on 1,688 miles of NFTS roads and 43 miles of NFTS trails (total 1,731 miles of changes) reducing the existing 24 seasons of use to 20.

Close 278 miles of Maintenance Level (ML) 1 roads to bring the NFTS in to compliance with Forest Service policy and resolve natural resource concerns.

Change 181 miles of ML 1 roads to ML 2 roads or motorized trails and 65 miles of currently closed roads (primarily ML 2) will be open for public use.

Change 178 miles of roads open to highway legal vehicles only to mixed use and converts 12 miles of roads to trails.

Initiate two non-significant Sierra National Forest Land and Resource Management Plan amendments.

Include design features and mitigation measures to reduce potential impacts.

This decision is subject to appeal pursuant to 36 CFR 215. In accordance with the April 24, 2006 order issued by the U.S. District Court for the Missoula Division of the District Court of Montana in Case No. CV 03-119-M-DWM, for only those individuals and organizations who provided comments during the comment period are eligible to appeal [36 CFR 215.11(a), 1993 version]. Appeals must be filed within 45 days from the publication date of the legal notice in the Fresno Bee, the newspaper of record. Detailed procedures for appeal are located in the ROD.

Public Workshops and Webinars are scheduled as follows:
May 17, 2010 Oakhurst Community Center, 39800 Road 425B, Oakhurst, 5-9pm.
May 18, 2010 Clovis Veterans Memorial Building, Liberty Room, 808 4th Street, Clovis, 5-9pm.
May 20, 2010 Foothill Middle School, Multi-Purpose Room, 291147 Auberry Road, Prather, 5-9pm.
May 26, 2010 Virtual Webinar-Join us online for an overview of the Decision, 7-8:30pm.

To sign-up for the webinar please visit the following website:

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/539264808

If you have additional questions you may attend one of the public meetings or is you wish to have an individual from the Forest Service speak at a meeting to provide additional information, please contact Gayne Sears at (559) 877-2218 or sierra.route@fs.fed.us.
Finally, I would like to thank you all for your support and involvement in this project. I look forward to working together on upcoming projects in the future.

BETTY A. MATHEWS
Acting Forest Supervisor

We as a club should start thinking about giving donations to Friends of the Rubicon, Friends of Oceano Dunes, Friends of Johnson Valley, Blue Ribbon Coalition, ect. It has been talked about before. A donation would go a long way into following the mission of this club and one of the reasons this club was founded.

I am proposing that we donate $200 to brc, $200 to Friends of Johnson Valley and $200 to Friends of the rubicon at marlins roundup. Since this club started we have not donated one penny. I have bbrought it up before but no one was interested. We have the money so it is time to help keep the trails open.

Cut n Pasted from an e-mail I just received.

All invited to rollout HR 1581 in Bakersfield

Legislation authored by Rep. Kevin McCarthy proposes to release millions of acres back to public use
I wanted to be sure to invite each of you to the rollout for HR 1581 Wilderness Study Area & Roadless Release Act, which will take place at Congressman McCarthy's office on April 29, 2011 from 9:45 am to 10:45 am, 4100 Empire Drive, Suite 150, Bakersfield, CA 93309.

This important bill was submitted to the house on April 15 and it will be vital that we show full support at the rollout and also by submitting letters of support. A sample letter is available for download here

I am unsure if the anti-groups may attempt to pack the room for the rollout, but it might be best to arrive a bit early to ensure being in the room, just in case. Please invite others to attend, especially those who live locally.

Hope you can attend the April 29 rollout in Bakersfield.

You can learn more about the bill at Stewards of the Sequoia (RSFMP)

Chris Horgan is the executive director of the Stewards of the Sequoia, a division of CTUC and is a 503(c)(3) non-profit.

Here is the bill in the link above.

Release of Unsuitable Wilderness Lands Updated 4/15/11

Support Legislation To Release Millions of Acres Back to Multiple Use

Over twenty years ago millions of acres of Public Lands were determined to be unsuitable for Wilderness designation, yet decades later these lands have still not been released back to their intended uses.
Send a letter now to support this legislation so you and your family can again be allowed to recreate, camp, mountain bike, dirt bike, 4x4, hunt and fish on these public lands.

BACKGROUND
All Wilderness Study Areas (WSA) and Roadless Areas in Sequoia National Forest have been evaluated by the BLM and Forest Service and almost all were found to be unsuitable for Wilderness Designation way back in 1988.

Yet twenty two years later these lands continue to languish and be subject to inappropriate restrictive and costly management regulations as if they were Wilderness, merely because they have yet to be released.

Recreation and other land uses desired by the community and the public have been and continue to be needlessly restricted or prohibited, such as Mountain Bike, Off Road recreation, camping and many other uses.

The long overdue Release of Wilderness Study Areas (WSA) and Roadless Areas is hampering land management and harming the environment in our Sequoia National Forest and surrounding BLM Lands, and many other areas of public lands.

WILDERNESS STUDY AREA AND ROADLESS RELEASE ACT
Congressman Kevin McCarthy has introduced HR 1581 the ‘Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act” on 4/15/11 to do the following:

Congressman McCarthy's HR 1581 bill will release lands which decades ago were determined by the Forest Service and The BLM to be unsuitable for Wilderness designation.
Families will once again be allowed to enjoy recreation, hunt, fish, mountain bike, dirt bike, 4x4 and camp on these public lands
These lands would once again be actively management as needed to promote forest health and reduce catastrophic wildfires.
These lands would once again provide renewable resources and minerals to reduce our dependency on foreign sources.
These lands would once again generate tax revenue,provide jobs and boost rural economies.
As you may know Wilderness is the most restrictive designation for public lands. Only Congress has the ability to designate lands as Wilderness
However the Secretary of the Interior recently released Rule 3310 forcing BLM staff to designate Wild Lands, which would be de facto Wilderness, without Congressional approval.
The so called Wild Lands BLM designation would subvert the will of the people and the authority of Congress.
Congressman McCarthy’s bill HR 1581 seeks to uphold the original intent of the Wilderness Act of 1964. His bill will restrict further abuses, such as BLM Rule 3310, so lands cannot be treated as de facto Wilderness without Congressional approval.
This bill is long overdue. Decades are a long time to keep lands lock up for no valid reason.

The ‘Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act” will finally stop these lands from being managed as de facto Wilderness and return these lands to their intended uses.

LACK OF SUITABILITY AS WILDERNESS
The agencies have identified many reasons why these lands are unsuitable for Wilderness including but not limited to:

Lack of Wilderness Qualities
Military Over flights
Existing Mining Claims within the area
Adjacent to existing communities
Difficulty in signing and patrolling
Difficulty in fencing
Existing historical motorized use

I am proposing that we donate $200 to brc, $200 to Friends of Johnson Valley and $200 to Friends of the rubicon at marlins roundup. Since this club started we have not donated one penny. I have bbrought it up before but no one was interested. We have the money so it is time to help keep the trails open.

Does anybody else support this?

I second the proposal! We need to look at all the anti groups that we are trying to battle. Thanks Chad & Casey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom