Land Cruiser fj40 automatic transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was thinking of buying a 1975 fj40 to work on and restore. It still has the original motor, but has a manual transmission. For practical reasons, I want to convert it into a automatic. Does anybody know where I could get an automatc tranny conversion kit for a 1975 fj40?

Not listed at their site, but they had an adapter to an auto made up a few years back...

Give them a call.

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
Not listed at their site, but they had an adapter to an auto made up a few years back...
-Steve

They only made the one and it did not work right, did not stay in the project it was originally installed into.
Best and only options as ffar as I know
1 Swap an FJ62 trans or complete drivetrain in
2. Swap a GM engine and trans in.
Butch

Thanks Butch.

john0089 said:
So will the fj62 automatic tranny fit the fj40 without extreme modifications?
Extreme...........to me no, to the average guy in his garage, yes.
Butch

Butch,

Do you know what would be needed to do this conversion? Do you know how long it would take to do?

john0089 said:
Butch,

Do you know what would be needed to do this conversion? Do you know how long it would take to do?

FJ62 Trans and tranfer case and flex plate, trans cooler, custom crossmember, custom driveshafts, custom skid plate, shifter, rear crossmember on your 40 would possibly have to be removed and moved rearwards.......rear axle might have to be moved rearwards for driveshaft length........if a guy was working on it only one week....doubtful anyone would be able to drop everything else to work only on it.......labor 40 hrs @ shop rate plus parts.......
Butch

Why does it not suprise me that a Downey part would not fit? I just cut a chunk out of my Downey bellhousing adapter to make the starter fit on my 6.2L conversion. I really want to buy the cable locker conversion for the 80, but, damn, I just want it to fit right without modification. I wish somebody else would step up and make one.

Christo?

GM tranny would need a bellhousing adapter, I'm not sure exists or a GM motor, an AA adapter to your transfer case and all the other mods that Texican listed.

My V8, is pushed as far foreward as possible, and the automatic (TH350)/transfercase barely fits in front of the crossmember. I don't think you could do it with the stock 6 and have ANY driveshaft length.

Maybe you should look for a cruiser that already has had a V-8 conversion w/ an auto tranny. They are pretty common. Just make sure it was cleanly done. Good luck

My V8, is pushed as far foreward as possible, and the automatic (TH350)/transfercase barely fits in front of the crossmember. I don't think you could do it with the stock 6 and have ANY driveshaft length.
Yoda: I have '69 with a Chevy 350 that I can't drive due to several knee injuries. Did you do it/have it done? If so, rough cost? I have standard 3 speed on the floor.

Give them a call.

Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Domain Names from Heart Internet - http://www.downeyoff-road.com/

Good luck!

-Steve
Not trying to revive a 2004 thread, but here's the story: Yes we did manufacture a "one on earth only" adapter for Landcruiser 6 cylinder to 700R4 automatic transmission, it did work perfectly, but it was installed in the longer FJ45, I'm not sure you'd even have a rear drive shaft if installing in an FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom