Ladder to the roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any ideas where to purchase a ladder to mount on the rear of the cruiser? SOR has one in their closeout section but it's chrome - yuck.

Wal-Mart has some cheap fiberglass ones. All you need is a little duct tape and bailing wire.... ::)

(We really need that Jester Smiley...)

Seriously, I haven't seen that upper gate mounting style from anyone else. I think SOR or MAF has a side mounting unit that is removable (Ya' can't drive with it on..)

-H-

Repeat after me...

Sandpaper, Rattle Can, Sandpaper, Rattle Can, Sandpaper, Rattle Can...

Okay, now go to it.... :G

You guys spend all your time and money jackin' 'em up in the air, bigger tires, yadda yadda yadda, now you need a damn ladder...............where's it end? :dunno:

Oh, second the rattler......scotch brites work too.

Here's the best one. I saw a Disco on the freeway a couple days ago that had a rear ladder.

HE DIDNT HAVE A ROOF RACK.

Nice add-on :p

!!!WAY OFF TOPIC!!!

Discos are funny vehicles. They are much like Cruisers in their target and achieved audience, but very different(yet still functional) in their construction.

Check out www.discoweb.org to gain a new found respect for true Rover guys.

They remind me much of the way it here, but with a few more colorful metaphors.

Sorry about the off-topicness.

BACK ON TOPIC

You don't need a ladder. Just lay the rear gate down and stand on it. If you must indulge, rattle it like I said before.

Electrical conduit - hand bender.
Bill

MAF sells them, but you can only put them on when the rig is stationary, they attach to the roof rack, and rest on the side of the rear tires.-John

Photo:

Are the cross members conduit as well? PS Why does your rear sliding window frame look funny?

If you need the ladder only now and then, there are the 'steps' that go on the tire

Cheers, Hugh

Photo, I was just poking a little fun at our rover friends. &nbsp:Discoweb actually has quite a few good points, as many of the members' interests are in expedition type wheeling. Heck, try to find a nice set of aluminum bridging ladders on a cruiser site....then go to Atlantic British...

The Discovery is generally a good rig: solid axles, four wheel disks, V8 (Buick Design), and full time 4wd; unfortunatly, the build quality is awful. (Not sure about the newer Series II). I looked at quite a few after selling my 60, and couldn't find any that were worth messing with.

I prefer landcruisers, but would gladly wheel with Rovers anytime.

-H-

(And any newbie who thinks our members are rough on 'em should take a load of what happens on Discoweb!)

Ok Rogue, I took your advice and surfed the discoweb techie forum.
I'm new to offroading and 4 wheeling so I really have no bias to anything. All I've ever surfed is TLC forums and can read the obvious bias against heeps and discos. I've also never seen a disco offroad... so I went in objectively.

I surfed only the Discovery techie forum. I saw a couple interesting things. For example: when you begin to oversize your tires, you have to start cutting the body because apparently the rear axle is not centered in the wheel well..? Further, even with a lift you can't put on 35's with any luck with out some serious modifications.

Most of the posts seemed to be about 'this da^* thing or that" needs to be fixed... or is under warranty. [I'm used to our posts all asking about how to get the most out of our rigs as opposed to figuring out how to make them work. For example, rather than fixing the transmission, everybody here wants to re-gear their transmission.

Finally, I saw somebody asking to price their '95 disco with ~90k miles and listed all the extras on it. [nicely fitted out, I was jealous]. The first posted response said he needed to include the recent maintenance of his vehicle because all the parts would be wearing out at that mileage.

Now, I said I was objective and unbiased... but I'm steadily building a bias... ;)

:beer:

-H-,

No actually, It was "glasshopper"

"grasp the pebble"

:beer:

Oh Bill, You plannin' to build a runway for your P51?

Looks like you are set........... :dunno:

CDN- Yes the crossmembers are conduit also. Put a hole saw in the drillpress to make your cuts or buy an Old Joint Jigger). It gives you a nice radius to weld up. The rear windows I made out of Oak and have no-see-um screen (very fine) so I can open the rear windows for cross ventilation to sleep.
Hltoppr - I tried out a Disco before I bought the cruiser but it didn't have much room to live in. Also, when I checked the web the talk was how to fix this and that common problem. You are dead on about the sand ladders and the bridging ladders.
CDan- become a Ballplayer and "grasp the stones"
Bill

Just don't like Junk catch you putting any positive light those Rover guys... I barely survied his wrath after my respectful comments after trailing with em on the AOA trip in Feb. :eek: ;)

Hill topper the buick v8 in a discovery is a small block that rover bought circa 1964 that the english have used in everything ever since. It is the most reliable thing on a discovery but it makes the 3fe look like modern technology.

Having said that, a used disco is in theory a very capable truck and a heck of a deal compared to anything else. if you get lucky, you will find yourself with a huge surplus #6 fund. However, judging by the topics of most disco website posts and the number of eager vendors trying to unload them, I would say buy a lottery ticket.

Your 80 and skills are no joke, Photoman!

You're approaching B's and Dan's prowess...

:bow: :bow: :bow:

eric

WOW, thank you! :G That was erics_bruiser@paypal wasn't it. :beer:
Bill
Ah, a mere mortal among the Gods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom