Labor for timing belt, water pump, etc.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently noted some coolant below my cruiser and discovered a small leak in the radiator and likewise i ordered a new one. And having 199,900 on the clock prompted me to buy a timing belt, water pump, thermostat, heater t's, timing belt tensioner, cam seals, and several other parts that experts mentioned were worth replacing (i have an excel listing with part numbers if anyone is interested).

My question now, as i am searching for a shop in central arkansas to perform this project, is this a
$500 labor project or a $1,000 labor project? Whats the fair amount of hours this should take?

Thats all/ thanks

I would guess around 7-8 hours of shop labor for all that (multiply that by the shop rate). I think the radiator has to come out, by the book, for timing belt replacement.

Timing Belt - 5 hours
Seals, Other TB parts - 2-3 hours

local shop by me charges $900 if you pay cash for timing belt, drive belt, water pump, thermostat. That includes parts.

Also i should mention again i bot a new radiator as mine developed a leak so that part will need to be replaced. My understanding is that some folks will replace timing belt without removing radiator.

And i bot a fan clutch that will need to go in. Figured "while we're doin these others and have it apart" may as well do it.

So it sounds like an 8 hour project

Get a new fan bracket too. The bearings have failed within the 90k mile interval for me. It's on my list on this exercise every time now.

I recently noted some coolant below my cruiser and discovered a small leak in the radiator and likewise i ordered a new one. And having 199,900 on the clock prompted me to buy a timing belt, water pump, thermostat, heater t's, timing belt tensioner, cam seals, and several other parts that experts mentioned were worth replacing (i have an excel listing with part numbers if anyone is interested).

My question now, as i am searching for a shop in central arkansas to perform this project, is this a
$500 labor project or a $1,000 labor project? Whats the fair amount of hours this should take?

Thats all/ thanks

Yes, I would like your Excel Listing of parts. Can you attach it to a post here?

My 2002 LX470 now has just under 30K miles and apparently it should be replaced based on time -- 14 years.
Still I'm not that concerned as I know of other owners Toyota's older than mine that have the original belt and well
over 100K miles. I'm wanting your Excel listing to get ready to do/get it done around 50K miles.

I found this in my files for my 2003. Not complete but a running start:

Timing Belt - 13568-09070
Idler Sub-Assembly - 13503-0F010
Idler Sub-Assembly - 13505-0F010
Tensioner - 13540-50030
Water Pump Assembly - 16100-59275-83
Thermostat - 90916-03138
Thermostat Gasket - 16346-50010
O-Ring - 96761-24019
O-Ring - 96761-35035
Cam Seal x2 - 90311-71002
Crank Seal - 90311-A0001
Drive Belt - 90916-02585
Spark Plug x 8 - 90080-91180
PCV Valve - 12204-50030

Add:

Fan clutch 16210-50051 (which will not be working right at this age)
Fan bracket 16307-0F010
Cooling hoses to the oil filter mount 16282-50040 and 15777-50030

Heater Hoses (T's)
Water Hose 87245-6A220
Water Hose 87245-6A210
Water Hose 87245-6A190
Water Hose 87245-6A180
Water Hose 87245-6A800
Water Pipe 87248-60460 (need 2 of these)
Heater Hose 99556-20155

Last edited:
Robbie Antonson - the esteemed 'LC Guru' here in CO - quoted me roughly $1000 for the TB/WP, with roughly $300 for parts (roughly) and 7 hours of labor (roughly).

Yes, I would like your Excel Listing of parts. Can you attach it to a post here?

My 2002 LX470 now has just under 30K miles and apparently it should be replaced based on time -- 14 years.
Still I'm not that concerned as I know of other owners Toyota's older than mine that have the original belt and well
over 100K miles. I'm wanting your Excel listing to get ready to do/get it done around 50K miles.
Sorry to break the stride of the thread, but you have a 2002 lx470 with less that 30k on the odo?!? :censor:

Im currently driving my grandad's s10 thats a 2002 with 27k!

Sorry to break the stride of the thread, but you have a 2002 lx470 with less that 30k on the odo?!? :censor:

Yes, I was one lucky dog. Was really looking for a black/tan LX with around 100K miles and then this one showed up.
She had 24,929 miles the day I purchased her in March this year - see photo.

One issue that low mileage 100's have is that Toyota recommends replacing the Timing Belt also by time - thinking
that it deteriorate as it ages. Not completely buying into that though.

Odometer.jpg

Thats all/ thanks

I'm in Central AR and just went through this process with a 2001 that is new to me. I called around for price quotes, and I think Joe's Garage in NLR had the best price around $960 for parts and labor on timing belt and water pump. That being said, I ended up taking it to Toyota for the timing belt, water pump, and drive belt as well as a full inspection and 4X4 service because the rig is 15 years old, and I wanted Toyota's picky opinion on future issues that are coming up. One thing about Toyota- they tell you anything about the rig that needs work.

The bill hurt my wallet pretty bad, but piece of mind is worth a lot to me when hauling around two little boys.
Good luck!

Robbie Antonson - the esteemed 'LC Guru' here in CO - quoted me roughly $1000 for the TB/WP, with roughly $300 for parts (roughly) and 7 hours of labor (roughly).

That does not include all the parts I listed. That bill gets to be more like $1800.

Yes, I would like your Excel Listing of parts. Can you attach it to a post here
I can email the excel file to any address that wants it. Pm me your address and i'll send it your way.

I had mine done at Toyota last year. I compiled a list similar to the above one and they wanted around $1800. Just adding in the water T's was $400 since it's not a "while youre in there" addition as the rest of the labor is in the front of the engine. I want to say my final bill was around $1300 including parts. Aside from gas and tires, it's the most we've spent on this vehicle in the 7yrs of owning it.

That does not include all the parts I listed. That bill gets to be more like $1800.
Yeah, maybe. But for a 'timing belt' replacement it's around $1000, including the asin kit with each part. Just for kicks I had another shop give me an estimate tody, they said only 5.5 hours of labor with a total cost (labor+parts) of $950

Yeah, maybe. But for a 'timing belt' replacement it's around $1000, including the asin kit with each part. Just for kicks I had another shop give me an estimate tody, they said only 5.5 hours of labor with a total cost (labor+parts) of $950

I was jammed for time and had my shop use all Toyota parts so that explains some of the difference. This is definitely a situation where one has to be careful comparing quotes as not all "timing belt and water pump" jobs are the same.

I replaced my timing belt, water pump, cam seals, and tensioner this summer at the dealer. $1000.00. I priced shops around town, and the lowest I could find was around $900, for a hole in the wall to do it. I would rather let the dealer do the work for a little more money. At least you can hold their feet to the fire a little more if something goes wrong.
Since you are having the radiator and heater t's replaced it is bound to be more, but I would recommend the dealer IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom