L.A. mechanic for a 93 LC pre-purchase? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a pre-purchase inspection; I realize and appreciate that there's a list of mechanics by state in this forum; I've called several from the list in or near Los Angeles and they deal strictly with older models. Anybody know a mechanic in the area who knows and likes to work on 80 series? Perhaps a particular Toyota stealership that employs a top-notch FZJ80 afficionado? Thanks.

Have you owned an 80 before or 1st time to the club?

This would be my first time with an 80. Why do you ask?

K&H in canoga park. Ask for Richard.

Thanks for the info, Wits End! I appreciate it.

I don't know if you have your heart set on that 93' but here is something a little closer to great falls. http://bozeman.craigslist.org/cto/4951549553.html

Thanks for the lead, S.A.Sam! This is incredible; I've been searching hi and lo for months for a 93-97 like this one within driving distance of GF. So now this comes to my attention the day after I sent a deposit on a rig over 12 hundred miles away. I was ideally hoping to find one with lockers, though, and this 93 has lockers, about 100K miles on it, and good service records. I'd bet it's not as clean looking though. Is this your LX?

Installed lockers are less than $700? Flight cost $140; gas $300 (max), plus 1 or 2 nts. in hotel. Maybe I'm just looking for an adventure but I know I'm looking for a Land Cruiser.

Unless you are super hardcore crawling you only need rear locker and you can just do an Aussie for 300. It is amazing what you can do with just the Aussie, in fact it is amazing what you can do with just good tires.

Arb is 2k plus install but you can do it yourself and you should if you actually need the lockers. 700 plus couple of nights and possible break down far from anything and God know how much that could be.

Second I would rather have a 4 year newer rig and obd2 then add locker, much easier to work on...and stronger if you actually need the locker. Also LX have more cushy lives compared to the LC because of the customer base are different.

I added factory lockers for $850. full hub to hub, front and rear. all wiring included. did all the work in the driveway. I am having trouble getting them to work correctly though.,

I won't be hardcore crawling but prefer lockers for if and when I come to a place I really want/need them. I've been there more than once. I drive mountain roads often and sometimes in sketchy conditions.

I'm led to believe that 4 years time on an 80 series is pretty trivial, depends much more on miles and driving history. OBD2 v. OBD1 seems to be a matter of opinion around here (not that I have a strong opinion). Whether an LX450 has a cushier life than an LC again depends on each vehicle's history, quite random. In this case, indications are that this 93 has led a charmed, low-mileage life. I plan to have it thoroughly checked out before the long drive home.

Thought someone said like on Friday that the lx450 and anniversary fzj80 had limited slip in the rear from the factory?

We're getting off the trail of the thread here, my bad.

I plan to follow up the one lead provided above. Any mobile LC mechanics in L.A. area?

K&H in canoga park. Ask for Richard.

After landing at LAX last Friday, I picked up and drove a 1993 Land Cruiser to Richard and Thomas at K&H for the pre-purchase inspection. Those guys at K&H were so good to me. They discovered and repaired a leaky power steering pump and otherwise inspected the LC for a price that seemed more charitable to me than reasonable. A couple months ago, a fellow Mudder advised to me, "If there is a god, god made Land Cruisers." And I say that if there is a Land Cruiser god, Richard at K&H should be a canonized saint. I found him to be an amazing man and a real hoot to talk with and learn from. He said to me, "we got a winner!", so I ended up buying the truck and driving my first 80 series nearly 1300 miles home to Montana, visiting old friends along the way. It ran great, and now has just over 91K miles in its repetoire!

After landing at LAX last Friday, I picked up and drove a 1993 Land Cruiser to Richard and Thomas at K&H for the pre-purchase inspection. Those guys at K&H were so good to me. They discovered and repaired a leaky power steering pump and otherwise inspected the LC for a price that seemed more charitable to me than reasonable. A couple months ago, a fellow Mudder advised to me, "If there is a god, god made Land Cruisers." And I say that if there is a Land Cruiser god, Richard at K&H should be a canonized saint. I found him to be an amazing man and a real hoot to talk with and learn from. He said to me, "we got a winner!", so I ended up buying the truck and driving my first 80 series nearly 1300 miles home to Montana, visiting old friends along the way. It ran great, and now has just over 91K miles in its repetoire!

So glad to hear it worked out. Richard doesn't have very many years left on this planet unfortunately because we're glad to have him while he's still here.

^ Thanks for the recommendation!! ^ I also recommend K&H Imports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom