Builds 'KRIKEY' (stevesnj) Build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The start of my upper rear CA, getting excited. These things are purty!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1418408195.138723.jpg

Well i tested the welder today. I ended up putting on new ground and power cord. Peace of mind. Good thing I did the internal green ground wire was cut for some reason so glad I tore into it. I also cleaned it in and out, and I bought a $5 HUsky velcro strap to keep the wires tidy while I'm moving it. Gotta get a gas bottle and wire and i'm set. I used Flux Core that came with it for testing.

IMG_0517.jpg
IMG_0518.jpg

Thanks! Yeh I looked on Craigslist for months. But it is used.

So I finally rebuilt my steering box...will install tomorrow. Going to use the Mobile Hydraulic oil. I painted the box and just highlited the TOYODA and TEQ .. yep I was bored

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

Got the proper wire cable to make an extension cord for my welder. 30' 3 Conductor 10/3 SOOW graded for abrasion and water resistance. $47 on Ebay free shipping which was the deal maker for me. Others wanted $50 plus shipping. Use this description in search in case the link goes dead; 10/3 SOOW SO Cord 30 ft HD USA Portable Outdoor Indoor 600 V Flexible Wire cable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-3-SOOW-S...755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d39e22e03

IMG_0553.jpg

Steering box rebuilt and finally installed today!! Whew

Some pics of the rebuild. I really don't want to do this again

Used a 10mm Hex key and it stripped on the first turn so I got to officially use my new to me welder and welded it to the plug. It's still on there just in case.

IMG_0523.jpg

I gently used emery cloth to take off the burnt on sludge on the Power Piston walls.
IMG_0525.jpg

Output shaft bearing and seal channel. This was a major time killer putting in the o-ring gasket, snap-
ring and shaft seal...ugghhh
IMG_0527.jpg

The new power piston teflon ring which got cut trying to put it in the piston cylinder, the o-ring is new so I put on the old teflon ring which fits tighter now with the ne o-ring.
IMG_0537.jpg

Lots of other pics but they are boring so this is the meat of what I did. If I have time and good weather conditions it would not of taken 4 days to do.

I also used Mobile DTE 24 hydraulic oil.

So I have a snow day!! But I got bored so I decided to install a set of component Dome Tweeters I got a month ago. I stuck with Infinity since I have had excellent results with the door speakers. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/krikey-stevesnj-build-thread.724383/page-5#post-9404610 Unfortunately the tweeter in the front door speakers is partially obscured and was blocking the highs.

So i got a set of Infinity REF-075TX 3/4 Inch Textile Dome Tweeters

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080FDDOC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So the next thing to do is determine where to install them. I didn't want them install them in the door card and I tried to put them in the triangular cover for the side mirror bolts but mounting them would of been tough and the angle would be hard to achieve. So I looked for another spot and decided on the headliner where the roof and A pillar meet near the visor screw mount and above the A pillar garnish. I used the speaker wire that was connected to the knee mounted speakers on the bottom of the dask. They are awful and I disconnected them for good. These little speakers brought my new system to another level of greater sound. I suggest installing them with the stock system as well. They have changed my listening experience! Anywho Here's the install pics. They are tiny but pack a punch!

Location and hole. I put it in the divot in the A pillar to not squash anything. I used the mounting bezel as a templet and used a utility knife.

IMG_0742.jpg

Test mounting of the Tweeter with bezel

IMG_0743.jpg

Drilled small 1/8 holes for the screws to mount the bezel

IMG_0744.jpg

Test fitting the bezel
IMG_0745.jpg

Testing for any pinching of the tweeter wire, The bezel doesn't need to be screwed on tight
IMG_0746.jpg

Last edited:
Last few pics, I forgot to take a final mounting pic since I was cold, I'll post later

Test fitting...all looks good!
IMG_0747.jpg

Ran the wire down and behind the A pillar garnish and the crossover module perfectly ended up below the fuse panel and I just put in line taps off the old knee speaker...
IMG_0750.jpg

Crossover location
IMG_0751.jpg

That's a cool location, but why would you do those nice speakers such a disservice by using those line taps? Just curious.

That's a cool location, but why would you do those nice speakers such a disservice by using those line taps? Just curious.

I was actually going to solder the wires. I don't like those taps but at the time I wanted to hear the sound

So I finally got around to installing my relay rod. The weather has been awful here and I took advantage of any day I could. So I have to take a pic of the final setup but I posted the differences between stock and the Ruff Stuff Specialties parts. The steering feels tighter and more responsive. I always was bending that and the tie rod bar so this should hold up very well.

Stock setup

IMG_0791.jpg

Comparison
IMG_0799.jpg

Huge difference
IMG_0801.jpg

Comparison
IMG_0817.JPG

Just finished today so I'll post a final pic...

Last edited:
So 256k miles and was just about to head out for a 3 hour drive for a trail cleanup and wheel and just before I get on the highway, KABOOM! Head gasket. Blah. So after inspecting the cylinders with the plugs out #1 had some nice coolant in there. So between work and the weather I finally got to removing the valve springs and valves. I didn't want to waste money on a valve spring compressor so I looked around and found a nice small piece of DOM tube that was the perfect size so I experimented and it worked! I used a 2" Scotchbrite cleanin pad for an angle grinder and it fit perfect just below the valve and was in the valve cavity beween the head and a piece of NO 2 pine 1x10. I made a video, It took a couple tries but it works and didn't scratch the lifter wall so all is well. Some came out in one shot and had to lean on it to get it compressed. Check it out!

Video here and pics below

This was nothing, I left a smokey trail home which was 1/2 mile from where it blew. Never overheated. Whew

IMG_0954.JPG

Coolant in #1 cylinder :(

IMG_0957.JPG

Measured the head and no warpage.

DOM pipe to compress springs

IMG_0988.JPG

Great job on the truck!
Couple questions for you:

For the Cree rear signal bulbs, the description in the link says plug and play. Are they? (I've tried cheaper versions that I ended up returning to Oreilly's Auto Parts.)

Did you find a plug and play tail/brake light bulb? I hate hacking the wires for resistors.

Also, regarding the wheel paint - how has it held up?

Thanks!

Great job on the truck!
Couple questions for you:

For the Cree rear signal bulbs, the description in the link says plug and play. Are they? (I've tried cheaper versions that I ended up returning to Oreilly's Auto Parts.)

Did you find a plug and play tail/brake light bulb? I hate hacking the wires for resistors.

Also, regarding the wheel paint - how has it held up?

Thanks!
Yes I didn't do anything with the wiring for the bulbs, I just put them in and they worked. The tail lights are also plug and play. No resisters.
as of now the Ali Express link goes to a Russian version of the site, something weird there.

Cool cheap way to get the valves out but I'm guessing you'll have to buy a real compressor to get the springs compressed again and get the keepers in.

Cool cheap way to get the valves out but I'm guessing you'll have to buy a real compressor to get the springs compressed again and get the keepers in.

Yeh probably. I like making stuff so I may be able to come up with something. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom