knuckle centering tool rental (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im considering the purchase a knuckle rebuild tool kit.
Haven't been able to find anyone on forum to rent or found a specific thread with rental options.
So im considering the following.
I will buy the tool it is 425.00.
I will rent it out for $75 plus shipping and deposit (the cost of the tool) via paypal.
when I receive the tool and all the parts in original condition (threads undamaged etc.)
i would refund the deposit less the rental and shipping cost via the original paypal account.
is there interest out there?

Are they really $425 now? I bought one about ten years ago for around $130. Loaned it out to a local cruiser guy who beat the s*** out of it. Put all kinds of hammer marks on it cause he couldn't figure out how to use it. I don't loan it out anymore. Good idea getting a deposit.

Just a FYI, the centering tool is only needed if the knuckle is being replaced... not needed if just rebuilt or serviced.

That is true if the knuckles have either never been serviced, or if they have been serviced and the shims were reassembled in the proper configuration.

I rebuilt my knuckles last year and used the centering tool as a double check and found that they were were not centered. It looked like the previous servicer mixed up the shim locations.

My knuckles were leaking significantly (likely due to the misalignment). If yours are not leaking, it is possible that they are properly centered.

Good luck.

You would prolly get some takers on the rental offer. Threads pop up once and a while of people asking .... Only one or two rentals would certainly offset your cost, but at roughly $100 (with the shipping and Paypal fees), People might just opt to get their own. Dunno. Thing is people would have to find your thread then contact you... But if you post on multiple Toyota Forums with an easily searchable title and some pix (pix help with google searches) ... :D

However, it might be cheaper for someone to buy the tool outright. Use it once, then resell for close to the purchase price. When listed, they seem to sell even before fingers leave the keyboard :)

Those Toyota SSTs have gone up considerably since the unit was bought by Bosch. I think the ones available now in the US are manufac by OTC. Mine says Japan, but I bought it years ago (and have never used it).

I do not loan out tools.

Good luck.

i cant seem to find them any cheaper anywhere. Marlin crawler had been selling the tools for 500$
If anyone has a link for the tools for less please post it up.
I cant find them anywhere or anyone who rents out the tools.
any info or "promising leads" greatly appreciated.

If you beat around through the bushes enough you will be surprised to find there are a couple people here that will loan you a knuckle centering tool for a small fee.

If you want one now go buy one.
If you want to borrow one sometime in the next couple months, kick some bushes around.

I have one that I've had for years. It came in a Toyota box, so I think it's made in Japan. Very nice to have the few times I've used it. You need to buy a large caliper to make use of it, so factor that in. (Hint, go to Harbor Freight for this) It was especially helpful setting up the 6 shooter knuckles from Trail Gear, which are not machined quite the same way as real Toyota knuckles. I don't lend mine out anymore just because I had one lending experience I wasn't thrilled about, but I do recommend you buy one if you're thinking about it. It's well made with nice machining.

I heard someone was doing their own run of these? Search here on ih8mud for a home brew tool.

Are they really $425 now? I bought one about ten years ago for around $130.

where did you find that price?
$425? I was thinking I paid $170 6 or 7 years ago from Beno.

thanks!! is it an oem kit? i couldnt find it on your web page.
Im interested

Last edited:
Mine is old enough it was the prior part number. It is OTC.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I paid 240.00 each for the 09634-60014 kits plus 38.00 shipping. Still available.

J

I am not sure I understood this post. Are you saying you have these for sale or is this what you paid for yours?

I've sold all the ones I'm going to part with. That is the price I paid for them.
your posts reads as if they are still available. and you are a supporting vendor.
to clarify, you are not selling them? Are they still availble somewhere as you posted? if so where?

Not sure where this is or what currency but may be a good price...

TOYOTA 09634-60013 GAGE
i;ll give them a holler. .usually the toyota websites are out of date and it will be a ghost- now unavailable etc.
they just cant update the database efficiently and you find old prices. ran inot this with frame brackets. they list them for 40.00 but in reality they are unavailable/discontinued even though you can add them to your cart.

i'll igive it a try though! even though it is Dubai.

This is what I got from bosch.

Hello,

I am showing that number has been changed to 09634-60014-Centering Gauge and cost for that item is showing as $308.24 with a ship date of 10/06/16

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

James

Bosch Automotive Aftermarket
Automotive Service Solutions
OTC Customer Service (AA-AS)

28635 Mound Road
Warren, MI 48092
USA
www.bosch.com

Phone +1 800-328-6657
Fax +1 1-800-578-7375

otc@service-solutions.com

well thats at least a bit better than 425.ooo of course watch em charge 100 to ship!
thanks for the lead. I will get on the horn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom