Killing sunroof Rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any good [non-remove/seal up] advice for quieting the sunroof down? it rattles.

Be careful of the covers, they are extremely brittle and no longer made by Mr. T. from what I understand.

BJANDCJ, pulling the headliner won't help. The sunroof is part of a much larger component that attaches to the reinforced sides of the frame in the roof. The rattle comes from the wheels in the sunroof mechanism that wear out or flat spot. The allows for up and down travel of the sunroof glass leading to a rattle.

I just fixed a rattle last night.
Rattle was coming from the pass side sun roof.
Removed the head liner around the sun roof (just carefully pull the headliner gently off from around the sun roof. It can tear)
Took off the pass grab handle.
Found the rattle coming from two aluminum rods that wrap around front and sides of the sun roof.
There is a foam cover on the aluminum rod that was missing in some places
I used a piece of foam pipe insulation, cut it to size and slid over the rod.
I put a small piece of mastic tap on the end to keep the foam in place

30 min later, no more rattle.

From what I have read there could be quite a few areas that cause rattles. Couldn't fun a write up that seemed to be similar to mine.

Lumbee1, I have read about the sunroof wheels wearing out and I believe I have a different problem. I thing my sunroof assembly is rattling against the roof. I can lightly bang on my roof and recreate the rattle. At the same time I can apply pressure to my headliner under the sunroof assembly and stop the rattle.(had my girlfriend drive me around while I used her stethoscope to locate the rattle).

Vsatking, I have a 97 so I think we have different headliners? But the rattle sounds very simmalar to what I am experiencing.

At this point I am not sure I will be able to sleep at night without pulling the headliner and taking a closer look. At the very least it is a good opportunity to throw in some sound insulation.

BJANDCJ, I have the exact same issue as you've described- I push up on the front middle seam of the sun roof to quiet the rattle. I have been loath to tear into it for fear of breaking anything that can't be replaced.......... Very interested to see what solutions and pictures folks have.

I'm experiencing rattles in my sunroof also, in the front corners (both sides) that are worse in cold weather. I believe my rattle is coming from the wind defector when stowed. There are five black foam rubber pads (isolators) that prevent the two deflector arms and deflector from making metal to metal contact. They're nineteen years old and are compressed flat. I'm planning on making my own using thick mouse pads material cut to size and glued into place. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

T
Be careful of the covers, they are extremely brittle and no longer made by Mr. T. from what I understand.
Hey they are still made or available... I just replaced all the sunroof trim bought it at camelback toyota phoenix.. about $100 for all 4 trim pieces with the copper state cruisers discount they offer..(thanks Murph) .... only gray color available though... so I sprayed it to match my tan interior which should hopefully give it a layer of UV protection ... yes the old ones where extremedly brittle fell out in 1,000,000 pieces once I messed with them... The new ones where much more plyable and did stop most rattles but not all.. So im still interested on how to stop the rattle caused with the cover and wind deflector.

Last edited:
Does it look weird without the covers?
Mine Rattles and I was going to take Silicone and put a dab on it.

Wonder if Gamviti could make new wheels?

I spend about thirty minutes yesterday afternoon trying to pinpoint my sunroof rattles. The wind defector was not the cause as I hoped it was. The rattle (both sides, same locations) is coming from the grab handle area above the front doors on both sides. The headliner will have to be dropped down to get at whatever is rattling. Bummer!

For what it's worth, mine stops rattling if I hit the 'tilt up' button for a split second and leave it in place. Just enough to not be fully seated down, but not enough to leak air/water. It's not a permanent fix, but might work for those just looking to make it through to warmer months when it's easier to tear into the vehicle.

For what it's worth, mine stops rattling if I hit the 'tilt up' button for a split second and leave it in place. Just enough to not be fully seated down, but not enough to leak air/water. It's not a permanent fix, but might work for those just looking to make it through to warmer months when it's easier to tear into the vehicle.

That worked for me, but only lasted about 4 months. Resetting no longer helps and with my earlier model year ('94) I'm hesitant to drop the headliner.

A few months ago I developed a rattle up in my moonroof, and ignored it for a bit. Then one day the darn thing would not open more than a few inches, it sounded like it was binding. I opened it just an inch or so, and stuck a flashlight in there and looked around. On the DS I saw a small rock, about 6mm, sitting between the glass and the roof. When the glass tried to slide back it was catching. I grabbed it with my fingers, pulled it out - problem solved. This was an unusual problem, but it proved that looking for a simple solution and getting a good visual inspection can sometimes save a lot of time and trouble. I hope this helps someone else who finds they have a similarly simple problem.

On my sun roof i could push the glass up on the pass side and get a small amount of extra movement. I found part of the track mechanism that was worn. I was planning on NEVER opening my sunroof. So I went to HD and bought several sizes of rubber "corks". I fond the right size to wedge it in place to push the glass up and get rid of the rattle. I then disconnected the sunroof switch so i will not accidentally open the sun roof. It would probably be bad to open it with a rubber cork wedged in the tracks. ;)

I'm experiencing rattles in my sunroof also, in the front corners (both sides) that are worse in cold weather. I believe my rattle is coming from the wind defector when stowed. There are five black foam rubber pads (isolators) that prevent the two deflector arms and deflector from making metal to metal contact.

I have that exact rattle.

For what it's worth, mine stops rattling if I hit the 'tilt up' button for a split second and leave it in place.

And for the moment this is my 'cure' as well.

regards

Dave

I tried the tilt up method this morning and it worked, so until I can drop the headliner this will be my fix.

I pulled the headliner out after work today. The rattle was coming from a section of the roof support, where the panal adhesive had separated and was rattling against the underside of the roof. I ordered some 3M 08115 panal adhesive to reapply to the roof support. And I have a ton of dynamat extreme to install to the underside of the roof. I am going to try and scrub/clean the headliner also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom