Kenwood DDX8017 installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a Kenwood DDX8017 about a month ago. I didn't like the way the single-din cd player I had looked in the dash with the cheap plastic pocket. The 8017 fits perfectly and works great. Watched dvds the whole way to Breckenridge. Made it alot nicer trip. Also installed a infrared reverse cam. Here are pics for those interested might be interested in getting one of the Kenwood DDX models.

Before
TLC20003.jpg

After
Misc053.jpg

Misc055.jpg

Misc056.jpg

Last edited:
how's the resolution? price?

The picture is great. And the surround sound with my JL sub is awesome. Sounds way better than my home theatre system. The DDX8017 is the top of the line one, so it is about $1000 to $1200 or so. The DDX7017 is ~$850-$100 and the DDX6017 is also a little cheaper than that.

I also plan on adding a tv tuner before too long. Right now it has 2 composite inputs and 1 composite out, besides the backup camera. A pretty nice stereo.

Last edited:
Killer unit! Any tips on using the schosche harness?

I actually have bought the same unit for my new (to me) 2001 'bruiser I picked up recently. I went ahead and got the harness thinking that I would run the head unit off the factory speakers and sub until I filled out the rest of my system. I got the entire harness hooked up, the kenwood powered up (YES!) but no sound. I messed around with the gains, but no dice... Any suggestions would be helpful. I had to pull out the Kenwood (NO!) and put back in the factory unit for the night to get some tunes... Luckily I can keep the harnesses connected... Thanks in advance!

Longhorn,

The ddx8017 looks awesome, like it was always meant to be installed there.

I have a bunch of questions.

1. Did you install it yourself?
2. Where did you purchase it? Ebay? If yes, I would like to use the same seller.
3. What brand of reverse camera and where did you purchase that piece?
4. How did you override the dvd while in motion? or was it a wire that is not hooked up?
5. Where and what kind of wiring harness?

I would like to install the exact same unit one day and if I could install it myself that would be great.

Thank you,

uzj100

Last edited:
uzj100 said:
Longhorn,

The ddx8017 looks awesome, like it was always meant to be installed there.

I have a bunch of questions.

1. Did you install it yourself?
2. Where did you purchase it? Ebay? If yes, I would like to use the same seller.
3. What brand of reverse camera and where did you purchase that piece?
4. How did you override the dvd while in motion? or was it a wire that is not hooked up?
5. Where and what kind of wiring harness?

I would like to install the exact same unit one day and if I could install it myself that would be great.

Thank you,

uzj100

1. Yes, I did the install myself. I've installed quite a few stereos but this was relatively easy There are a few more wires than a average stereo though. For instance, I ran 2 video-in RCAs and one video-out RCA to the glove compartment for easy connections to whatever I need.
2. I did get it off of Ebay. Bought it from this guy, but doesn't look like he has and 8017 listed.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZleathercraftQQhtZ-1
3. Got the reverse cam from
http://stores.ebay.com/CCTV-SECURITY-SHOP
From Hong Kong. Took about 2 weeks to get, but it was pretty cheap. I got the 1 3/8 diameter camera which is actually a little to big. I had to widen the key hole a little bit, so I would recommend a little smaller diameter one. Not too terribly impressed with the quality of the cam right now. Too much glare. I think I am going to try and put some polaraized tint on the lens and see if that helps.
4. As for the dvd override, there is a wire (purple I think, but not sure) that is supposed to go to your emergency brake. Just hook it up to your ground wire and your set.
5. I had this wiring harness previously hooked up with my old Sony deck. Works great with the factory amp.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14104

Next I plan on adding a TV tuner and probably an Ipod interface that is supposed to control the ipod completely from the touchscreen. It also has connections for NAV, HD Tuner, and Sirius. I'll work on those later.:)

beachcruiser said:
I actually have bought the same unit for my new (to me) 2001 'bruiser I picked up recently. I went ahead and got the harness thinking that I would run the head unit off the factory speakers and sub until I filled out the rest of my system. I got the entire harness hooked up, the kenwood powered up (YES!) but no sound. I messed around with the gains, but no dice... Any suggestions would be helpful. I had to pull out the Kenwood (NO!) and put back in the factory unit for the night to get some tunes... Luckily I can keep the harnesses connected... Thanks in advance!

I used this harness and it works great with the factory amp.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14104

Thank you for the info. I am going to cut and paste your info so I will be ready to install when I get one. I am keeping an eye on ebay. My stock cd player has not worked for sometime. I am running a sirius s50 right now but am ready for a dvd, tv and reverse camera. I am ready for one these companies to get a clue and add bluetooth to a ddx type device. I would like my contacts to pop up on the touchscreen.

Thanks again,

uzj100

Looks awesome. I also have a 2000 LC and just purchased the DDX8017. I paid extra for two day shipping and should have it by tomm. I got the scosche TAO3B harness and hope that works fine. Any other gotchas that I should be looking for? Is it as easy as plugging in the harness and the radio?

Cant wait!!

VitoM said:
Looks awesome. I also have a 2000 LC and just purchased the DDX8017. I paid extra for two day shipping and should have it by tomm. I got the scosche TAO3B harness and hope that works fine. Any other gotchas that I should be looking for? Is it as easy as plugging in the harness and the radio?

Cant wait!!

Not sure how the Scosche harness is. I used the harness that I listed on the FAQ. Scosche and Metra didn't have the right one for the LC when I was looking. Does the Scosche have factory amp hookups?

As far as how my harness hooked up, it plugged into the factory harness on one end and you spliced it into your stereo harness on the other. Works perfectly. Also there are going to be many extra video/audio connections that you can connect as needed/wanted. I just have all the RCA wires run to my glove compartment, so I can hook up my XBox/PS2/Camera as needed. Also, if you want to watch dvds without the parking brake on, then ground the wire from the stereo that goes to the parking brake (green wire).

Also, the reverse cam is a cool feature to add on. I put in a toggle switch so that I can have in on in reverse or full time.

Recently, I added the Ipod interface that completely operates the Ipod from the Touchscreen. It basically treats the Ipod as a CD Changer. I have 1000s of songs awaiting at my fingertips. Next up will probably be the TV Tuner when football season comes back around.

Good luck with the 8017. I am sure you will love it. I do. :)

VitoM said:
Longhorn, I went by your post (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50596) according to this you recommended the scosche for those with the 6 disk changer which I have.. Should I pick up the other harness instead? I am confused as to what the difference is between them..

I believe the single disc player (which I had) uses a different harness. Either that or they changed the harness in 2k or so. I just know the Scosche was the wrong one for mine. Hopefully it is the right one for yours. I have not seen it personally used, but the web claims it to be the right one for you.

You can see the difference in the two harnesses in these diagrams that I put in the FAQ.

This looks like its for the in dash 6 disc.

http://carstereohelp.net/wireharness_Toyota5.htm

Wire harness to hook up an aftermarket stereo to the factory amp

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/TA03B.html

This is for the single cd player

http://carstereohelp.net/wireharness_Toyota4.htm

Wire harness to hook up an aftermarket stereo to the factory amp

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14104

Well I guess I will find out today when my unit arrives :) I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again, and I am sure I will have more questions once it is installed..

How did you get the power antenna to go up automatically when the radio is turned on?

Never mind.. I had to splice into the factory harness.. Red/Black wire..

Last edited:
Well, my new 8017 is installed and I love it! A couple of complaints though:

I am getting feedback noise from the speakers, it is low but annoying. I called Scocshe and the claim that the harness they have is not meant to be used in the 2000 LC and that one is not made. Direct wiring to the speakers is the only route to avoid noise. hmmmm

My attenna reception now stinks! Anyone else have this problem with aftermarket radios?

Lastly, I will obviously need to invest in speakers as the stock ones do no justice at all and sound downrite horrible at anything over midrange volume. Any suggestions on replacement speakers would be much appreciated.

VitoM said:
Well, my new 8017 is installed and I love it! A couple of complaints though:

I am getting feedback noise from the speakers, it is low but annoying. I called Scocshe and the claim that the harness they have is not meant to be used in the 2000 LC and that one is not made. Direct wiring to the speakers is the only route to avoid noise. hmmmm

My attenna reception now stinks! Anyone else have this problem with aftermarket radios?

Lastly, I will obviously need to invest in speakers as the stock ones do no justice at all and sound downrite horrible at anything over midrange volume. Any suggestions on replacement speakers would be much appreciated.

I haven't had any trouble with antenna reception. Have you checked the connection to make sure it is getting good contact.

As far as speakers, all my doors are still factory from the factory amp. But, I have a JL sub box with 2 10" subs in it. So all the bass to the doors speakers is turned down and separated to the dedicated sub. I do intend on upgrading the door speakers and amp to JL Audio Evolutions, but not till I find at a good price. For right now, the factory speakers sound perfectly fine.

The feedback noise you are getting. Does it change when the idle goes up? If so, you probably have a ground issue. I would try and run a good ground cable from a good spot to the ground on the wire harness rather than use the one on the harness. I have a cable run to the ground point where the battery connects to the body. Right next to the battery. Worth a shot.

Hey did you ever install your tv tuner? I'm getting ready to do one and wondered what you did as far as an antenna...

aedgington said:
Hey did you ever install your tv tuner? I'm getting ready to do one and wondered what you did as far as an antenna...

Yeah. I installed the Kenwood matched one. Works pretty good. Reception gets fuzzy sometimes, but you're not really supposed to be watching the tv when moving anyway.

The Kenwood unit comes with its own antennae. I installed one on each of the rear quarter windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom