KDSS and VVT-i - worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Obviously, I know these two features are unrelated. However, I'm hoping to spend in the neighborhood of $15-18,000 for a clean, well-maintained GX that will be used as a third car. I'd like to lightly build it up for off road use, but not much more than an inch or two taller and with bigger tires.

I've driven GXs with KDSS and I like the feature - they seem to corner more flatly and I like the idea of easy extra articulation. Unfortunately, it is challenging to find a GX with KDSS. I've seen one non-sport package model with it so far. Is the system problematic? Is there any way to ensure it is operating correctly?

VVT-i. While I'm not one to argue with extra power, I'm finding a handful of very clean 2004s in my price range. VVT-i was added for 2005. Has anyone found VVT-i to be problematic?

I don't know a lot about vehicle emissions systems (that said, I don't want to be polluting more than I normally would in a V8 SUV). VVT-i brought with it ULEV-II status - did that mean there was extra emissions equipment included? Two '05 GXs I've looked at have both had extensive secondary air pump work done to them ($3,000+).

Thanks in advance for any help. And, if you know of a clean GX in my price range near-ish to me, please let me know!

I don't know about KDSS since I don't have that option but everyone that has it seems to love it. There are still NON-KDSS GXs that are quite capable offroad especially if you upgrade from the stock suspension.

As far as VVT-i being worth it, I'd say so. Extra power never hurts. The negative thing about it is the air injection system. Depending on what's wrong there's a block off plate & bypass module you can get:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/229399-air-induction-pump-bypass-module-aip/

And for the pump you can use an aftermarket / GM air pump that's under $100.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-first-generation/722769-secondary-air-pump.html

I'm in FL and there are no state inspections or emissions testing here but you're in TX so if some part fails you will have to address it. If you can't do the labor yourself having a dealer do the repair is going to be very costly, as you can see from the two '05s you've already looked at.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks a ton for the response. So the pre-VVT GXs did not have the air pump? I admit to being fairly savvy, but emissions systems are out of my league. I can follow instructions, but I have no clue what anything does.

I've found a very nice '04 with KDSS and, obviously, no VVT - it's looking more appealing by the minute.

Yes, only the VVT-i ('05+ GX) engine had the air injection system. I'm attaching some PDFs that goes further into details about both.

If you found a nice '04 w/ the KDSS option and it's the right color combo and has the options you want I definitely wouldn't pass it up for a newer GX w/ VVT-i.

Attachments

• 73 Engine VVT-i System.pdf
    166 KB · Views: 2,703
  • 79 Engine Air Injection System.pdf
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,399
Thanks! That's great to know. I don't know how common the air pump failures are, but I've run across two GXs out of maybe 5 I've run dealer service reports on that have had the pumps replaced. I saw one receipt for $3,500.

I'm all for more power, but $10 per horsepower is pushing it for me ;)

Appreciate the advice and will keep the forum posted. Is this the best place for GX discussion? I've seen the Lexus forums, but "mine" will be more of an occasional off road vehicle than a street queen. Not planning any major build or anything, but the running boards will go and taller all-terrain tires will be added.

I've got an '04, no KDSS, and while the extra power would definitely be nice, not running premium is a very nice thing when this unit is as thirsty as it is. It's a very nice vehicle, you can't really go wrong as long as the service history is good.

Wow, that's interesting... I had just assumed the 4.7s were all premium. Great to know, thanks!!

Thanks! That's great to know. I don't know how common the air pump failures are, but I've run across two GXs out of maybe 5 I've run dealer service reports on that have had the pumps replaced. I saw one receipt for $3,500.

- Before my GX I owned 2x-1st gen Tundras, an '01 AC and an '05 DC. I've seen a number of failures w/ the pumps on Tundra forums and a few on GX forums.

I'm all for more power, but $10 per horsepower is pushing it for me ;)

Appreciate the advice and will keep the forum posted. Is this the best place for GX discussion? I've seen the Lexus forums, but "mine" will be more of an occasional off road vehicle than a street queen. Not planning any major build or anything, but the running boards will go and taller all-terrain tires will be added.

- This site obviously is more offroad oriented but there are a few guys over on CL that take their GX offroad. I'd say this site is great for offroad / lifts / tires / bumpers etc. and CL is good for fixing problems and little interior upgrades, maintenance etc.

For some reason, from 2006-2009, Lexus says to use "premium unleaded gasoline only" and in my 2005 owners manual it says "select octane rating 87 or higher", yet it has the exact same VVT-i engine as the 2006-2009 GXs do. If you do buy a 2005+ you'll be fine running 87 octane.

Great advice, thanks again. For some reason taht air pump is really concerning me. I wonder if it has something to do with the (hot) weather here that they are more prone to fail?

I doubt it. They fail from a valve being stuck open / closed or the pump fails due to a broken fin. My old Tundra was a TX Tundra (65K miles when I sold it) and it was perfectly fine. My GX is a TX GX (120K miles) and it's fine too. It's the luck of the draw like the cracked dash issue...some get have issues, some don't. :)

KDSS is awesome IMO, but mainly if you do a lot of on road driving... the handling is so much tighter yet it has more articulation.

Has anyone ever seen a GX with KDSS but without nav? Just curious if they exist. I've been mentally ruling out all non-nav GXs just because I assume they don't have KDSS.

One thing to consider...the extra power is for on road. Offroad the torque is fine without it. In fact, there is more than enough power in a 03 V8 to break everything. The drivetrain for GXs are made for V6s so the extra power can actually hurt. With ATRAC you shouldn't really go above 1500 or so rpm to keep it firing...wheel spin at higher RPM hurts, not helps offroad. If you need to tow, want slightly better mpg, etc I can see it as desirable. I looked at all of this and settled on a simple 03 because it is has fewer systems and I knew the offroad handling wouldn't be an issue since I was modifying it so much. It depends on what you plan to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom