Just opinons... do any of you guys have a tundra? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
overlooking the Mississippi River @ Memphis
Looked at a 2006 over 250k one owner NEVER had a timing belt... but also never had any paint work and regular oil changes 4.7 sr5 4wd 4dr all power but cloth interior... it's a few blocks away from me Owner got a new one and this one has a for sale sign in the window... I'm just try'n to figure out where this fits in my "fleet" I really only keep my F350 diesel to pull my bobcat and that is only a few times a year... I tossed my old pathfinder and replaced it with an lx450 (always need a spare something that you would drive anywhere) Think I'd have to toss the f350 if I got the tundra... but will it pull the bobcat & trailer? just looking for opinions and since this is actually about 100 series it might get booted... except it is a 4.7 and it has over 250k and it's on the original water pump and timing belt... I swear I was going to use that as a bargaining chip... thinking it was time for the SECOND one... only to find out we were still on #1... at that point I was just like... well damn... and the seller was like "yeah my bother said that should be done"

I think the first gen Tundra tow capacity caps out somewhere around 7,000 lbs. I can't honestly say that I would recommend towing a bobcat with one, even if it was just a few times a year. As far as the mileage is concerned the 4.7s are extremely durable motors, but it would be smart to think about a new timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, and all fluids.

My recently retired supervisor has a '06 Tundra with 246k miles. He said all he has done is oil change , filters, and brakes. That is it. So, great track record up to that point, but with that little PM how much is really left? That is the question.

It is a good bargaining chip but running an old timing belt has zero effect on the engine until it breaks. As long as it doesn't break, it won't hurt anything. That said, I'd change it out quickly. The water pumps don't need to be changed out during the timing belt R&R, it is just so easy to do it then that it has become common practice.

I've had two 2nd gens and a first. They are all very reliable, but the 2nd gens tow much better. They honestly do a lot of things better, but they drive much bigger. The first gens feel a lot smaller even though they are physically very similar.

the timing belt needs to be done. It should be worth something off the asking price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom