June ROTM- Verde Valley Traverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is the main FR road that the route goes on? Is it mainly just one or a few key one's?
Trying to make the run but do not want to commit yet but would like to explore the area when time allows it.

It's a bunch of them. From hwy 169 turn left/north on 136
After driving through Camp verde it was left on 618
Then right on 214

If you load the track link click the map and pick USFS map. That will show all of the forest roads. If you have a Gaia account you can select USFS raster which are even better maps.

The Coconino South Travel Map shows the trails/forest roads as well.
Forest Service Southwestern Region Motor Vehicle Use Maps for smart devices

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks 1Louder. I started looking at the Gaia GPS after seeing your link, think i'm going to give it a try.

Awesome, thanks 1Louder. I started looking at the Gaia GPS after seeing your link, think i'm going to give it a try.

It's an amazing app and my go to GPS application. I have used it all over for nearly 3 years.

This will be a long day, but the scenery is good: ....dueling banjos....we saw it all. We will be camping in the pine trees.

:hmm:

Better put me down. Sounds like a "can't miss" trip

there were sights on the pre run that cannot be unseen. I hope the boys from Deliverance will have exhausted themselves over Memorial Day weekend.

I thankfully was far enough back and didn't pay any attention to that camp to have missed the whole scene from Deliverance.:rolleyes: The group of hillbillies shooting off the deck of the rural rented cabin was bad enough.:bang: Just to be clear all we heard was shooting as far as we know they were shooting in a direction with a safe back stop. Just a little unsettling hearing shooting and no eyes on who is doing the shooting. All this was at the end of the run when we were close to a all-weather FS road. Until that point we neither saw or heard anyone shortly after leaving the pavement off 260 in Camp Verde.

As long as you didn't hear any pig squealing noises, you were probably safe...?

there were sights on the pre run that cannot be unseen. I hope the boys from Deliverance will have exhausted themselves over Memorial Day weekend.

As long as you didn't hear any pig squealing noises, you were probably safe...?

Saddletramp does have a 'purdy mouth' thou... Just say'n

I have the replacement lens for the FJ62, hatch struts on order. Even looks like I be up north a few days ahead of time to get things ready. Just have one question after reading a few posts. Do you think just one side arm will be enough? Or would a twelve gauge shotgun or possibly a fully automatic assault rifle be better a better plan?

Bring a long range weapon. 30-06 308 270. You don't want em gettin close enough to use a shotgun. That is unless your firing slugs. :)

The White Bridge Day use area is on the corner of Hwy 260 and Quarterhorse Lane, just east of Camp Verde. It is the first right hand turn after you cross the bridge over the Verde River headed east.

Got it thought you were talking about the first area we stopped just off the mountain. Like I said don't pay to close attention to street signs or public parks in city limits. Your are correct that is right off 260 just east of the bridge. So never mind and I'll delete my post. But does look like going to the stop side and turning right on Salt Mine road is a little less pavement in Camp Verde

Have a question. Mentioned to my daughter I went a the pre run a few weeks back. Her and her husband are interested in going on the run. They have a Toyota but it's a 2WD Tacoma pre runner with the locker ,not a 4X4. Currently on 33" and missing a fender flare from a recent trip behind Lake Pleasant so they use it off road. Unless it's a muddy mess I see no problem their making it thru. I know the club is for Toyota's with a transfer case but not sure if that crosses over to guest on a run?

John, as the run organizer, I would say no to the 2wd truck. And that is because of the truck, not the guests. While they may be able to get through, with trailers and 2wd trucks in an already large group, I think it brings in too much risk. Sorry.

But, you should have some open seats since you won't have a carpet cleaner on board, right?

Heck John, let them drive one of your 4x4s

Or just meet us at the camp site, coming in from the other road by the lake

thats got to be the highest wheelie without going over backwards Ive ever seen! wow

I am likely out for this. The run I'm out for sure. I'm a maybe for camping Saturday. I work Friday so no prescouting a location. Sorry my work schedule sucks in June and I have a big 2 week get the hell out of AZ trip at the end of the month up to WA, MT, ID, UT or wherever I please.

Drove thru Camp Verde today. The road across from the Shell gas station is Salt Mine road. I drove down it to check it out. FS road 136 ends at Oasis road. Right turn on Oasis just a short distance to Salt Mine road. Left turn on Salt Mine road and you come out at 260 by the Shell gas station. Not any faster then heading up Oasis to 260 but nicer scenery thru the homes then straight up to 260.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom