Jumper Cables v. Micro Start Booster (1 Viewer)

Jumper Cables v. Micro Start Booster

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I'm contemplating retiring my old worn out jumper cables (considered recovery gear, right?). They are heavy duty copper, but the rubber coating is fraying near the clamp handles and worn in other places along their length. Additionally, I hate the clamps. They are too thin and the jaws constantly need re-aligning through percussive measures.

I'm considering replacing them with these 2ga CCA parrothead clamp cables:
http://www.amazon.com/FJC-45245-Par..._2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1419952526&sr=1-2
The price of solid copper cables is through the roof, and not worth the money to me for occasional use.
512c93OJdSL._SX450_.jpg

Or invest in one of those lithium micro start boosters such as these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FDYYK4A...TF8&colid=20EKKNUYX72II&coliid=I22EN4BBOD28H0
71ObQvBj29L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M1OUBES...TF8&colid=20EKKNUYX72II&coliid=I1QUEJME4FPOMT
7182%2B0aMgvL._SL1500_.jpg

I would go for a micro boost starter for a couple of reasons. First it doesn't require a second battery to jump a dead battery. Your out in a remote area might not be someone around to help. Second is because of a story a co worker told me a few years back. While this didn't happen to a Toyota but a Dodge pickup. While the guy was trying to jump someone his vehicle died and won't start. This was on a hunting trip in N.AZ. He had to have his vehicle towed out of the forest to a shop. Only thing they could figure was the battery in the vehicle they were trying to jump had a short. Took out the guy's ECU. I know this is a rare case I did have to jump my 89 FJ62 years ago. Started fine but took a week before it learned how to run correctly. Everything from idle speed changing to the volume on the radio going up and down. That was over ten years ago and no long term issues still won't chance with the cost and ease of keeping a micro boost starter in the vehicle. Easier to store than booster cables.

I say do both. Just find a decently priced cable (maybe post Xmas clearance or wait for Father's Day sales). Doesn't have to be the best, just long enough to reach.

A couple of us got the Micro Start in late summer and have been really pleased. It's started my 350 with the battery removed and didn't even blink. I wish it had a provision for a male cigarette plug, but that should be easy enough to make. It'll power/recharge your other devices while you sleep when camping and can then be recharged itself via the cig outlet in your vehicle while driving the next day. There is also a larger model than the one you pictured.

My driveway slopes downhill and every now and then I (or the wife) mess up and park nose down. IF the battery in the lower vehicle died, and unless I were to tow to it up the hill to the street, normal length cables would be of little use.

My only concern with the tiny jump boxes is the affect of heat or cold on it if it were to live full time in the vehicle.

I'm also concerned on newer vehicles about what @Living in the Past said. I have no personal proof, but I've heard stories.

I have a set of those large gauge jumper cables, they do what they are supposed to do. The clamps are somewhat cheap, but the price was hard to beat considering how large those copper cables are. I bought a set to cut up to use a winch power cable since the price was less than purchasing bulk 2AWG automotive cable!

those micro boosters are pretty inexpensive and small. Attractive proposition if they can crank our big engines up.

Carrying both is a good idea. If budget is a concern, drop down to a 4 or 6 gauge cable and spend the rest on a jump pack. I carry an old school jump box, jumper cables, and a small lithium jump pack and none have failed me. I like the lithium jump pack because I can throw it in my hunting pack and keep my cell phone powered up for a long time.

My only wish, is that I would have gotten bigger than 400cca lithium jump pack, just in case I were ever to need the additional power.

Definitely carry both, the jump packs are cool but I wouldn't consider them reliable. I work on a snap on tool truck and I probably sold roughly 50 of the jump packs in the last year. In the course of the last year I probably had 30 of them come back with problems. I don't carry them on my truck anymore because I don't think they are reliable enough to be sold on a snap on truck. Matco and Cornwell can have that share of the market.

Definitely carry both, the jump packs are cool but I wouldn't consider them reliable. I work on a snap on tool truck and I probably sold roughly 50 of the jump packs in the last year. In the course of the last year I probably had 30 of them come back with problems. I don't carry them on my truck anymore because I don't think they are reliable enough to be sold on a snap on truck. Matco and Cornwell can have that share of the market.

What manufacture and model did you sell? How did the manufacture respond with a 60% return rate?

I just bought one of the noco GB30s yesterday. For $120 I couldn't go wrong. I have several other noco products and lover them they all work great and would highly recommend them to anyone.

If I recall they were called xp1 or something. As they were not a snap on product we didn't bother with warranting them. We just refunded customers and trashed them. Not worth the time to try and get them warrantied or repaired. I have seen a few different brands and they all looked the same with different colors all from china

I speak with Noco customer service today .. very helpfull and very kind ..

I decide in the 2 bank mini .. by her recommendation ..

I purchased the Antigravity last year. They saved my bacon while doing a desert trip north of Phoenix.
My battery pooped on me, and I used them 3 or 4 times to get me back to the freeway. I will never leave without them in the truck.

carry both if the solenoids crap out in your winch you can run it direct with cables ,they can also be used to build a shelter and in extreme cases used for towing and other uses

One of the popular uses of my ANtigravity set is when your friends forget there phone charger.

From Friday nite camping - Did you bring that charger thing with you......

HA! Exactly! It won't charge a laptop, but it does a heck of a job with small devices. I used it a few times to power the electric pump for my air-mattress while camping. The Antigravity is a great little gadget. Because it is so small, there is no reason not to have it with you.

Used my Antigravity again today to start a dead vehicle. It was in a crowded parking lot that was way too small to block off for a few minutes doing it the traditional way. Also, none of the uppity hausfraus who frequent the area would have ever stopped to help the guy out.

But, I do admit that it gets used mostly to charge mobile devices in the woods.

I disconnected all my batteries and started my 80 series 3 times back to back with an Antigravity set up.
Again I used the Antigravity ONLY to start it!
The XP1 or XP10 Antigravity? Thanks.

The XP1 or XP10 Antigravity? Thanks.

Mine is the XP1. Several were purchased by a Toyota dealer for the mechanic and lot attendant along with mine. After hearing mixed review on reliability the dealership claim no problem so far:meh: I find mine has been used a lot not so much for jumping but to help my friends that forget there device chargers when we are out.:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom