July-August 2016 Wheeling Trip Ideas? (1 Viewer)

Where to go?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since we seem to be hashing out 2016 fun...

As usual, since Jenn is off in the summer we will be doing some sort of extended wheeling trip.

As usual I am more interested in WHO than WHERE!! So, if there is a place that gives more people the opportunity to join, that place may be favored.

You can select your top 2 choices in the poll and can change your choices if this evolves...

The early rumblings I am hearing sounds like its time to hit up Black Hills SD again.

Other possibilities:
-Moab -I can't get enough of this place right now!!! Poor camping means hotel/house rental, great wheeling!

-Colorado -Buena Vista area and/or San Juan area. Though I have "wheeled" most everything in the San Juans and don't plan to go back for a while or until others want to go.

-Northwest -I love Wyoming/Montana area! I know the trails exist, but it may take some digging to find them...

-California -Rubicon, Johnson Valley, Pismo, etc. A lofty goal with several thousand miles of travel, and probably consuming at least two weeks.

-Michigan -Lots of new trails on the hand all the way up to Drummond Island. This would likely be a tour style trip like PYS 1, where we spend a few days in each park.

-South/Southeast -There seem to be a lot of places in OK, AR, KY, TN, etc. Again, likely another tour style trip. HOT!

Jenn and I may have more time this year than we did last year (17 days last year). We may be able to leave in mid July and would have to be back in time for the first day of school (usually around August 10th).

If we end up choosing something out West again, Jenn and I will likely hit more than one of the above options. So, if we go to SD we will pick a week that works for everyone, and Jenn and I will plan other stops (Likely WY/MO, Moab, or Buena Vista, CO) around that week. Obviously, people can plan their trips however they like and are welcome to join us wherever, whenever.

Whatcha doin in Denver?

No SD option so I picked Michigan and southeast but will change to SD because I'm a pussy and can't handle humidity.

I could not do this and pys so my vote is for MI or the southeast. I could day trip it for a long weekend or two

I'll vote although I don't really care. I'm a bit done with CO for now. I'd go again as it is amazeballs but I'd only really like to go for a couple days at max and use that as a stop on our way westward.

Moab is the tits. Can't get enough of that place. Would love to head to the northwest too. SD onward to Montana/Oregon would be pretty amazing. Really far though.

Anywho, I'm down to see where the group wants to go. I know 4000+ miles for people is going to get really challenging especially if most can only get a week off or what not.

I would like to click all of the above but trying to be real, Moab and Mich.
In the end I would go where everybody else goes.
For me it just depends what the fam would have going on at that time.

I picked a coupla dream places, cause that's all it will be for me. I just masturbate while looking at the pictures yous guys post up. If it turns out you all pick places close, I'll try to stop in for a long weekend or what not.
But for this workin stiff, I'm most likely out.
However if I have my trailer by then it will be eaiser to try & partake.
Just sayin!

South Dakota added.

Come out to the Black Hills Cruiser Classic at the end of July, great family friendly event and even better wheeling.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446303044.797586.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446303083.550029.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446303158.548667.jpg

I remember you brought the pig in 2011?

Even if not event interested if you all make it out here let me know, trails are kinda hard to find using forest service maps. We can show you around.

Thanks. We did that once. We're mostly not event people.

Love to hook up with some locals, just not anything organized.

True, as fuzzy and cuddly as we are... we don't seem to function well in "family friendly environments."

A group of us made it out for 2012 BHCC (current avatar pic is on Jason's Rock). Good people, cool campground, great trails! The funny thing is, I spent months before hand pouring over trail threads on local boards, FS maps, and GPS downloads to locate all the trails and put names with numbers, etc. Because, we planned to get to Wild Bills the weekend before the event and wanted to hit trails. Surprisingly, we were able to find all the trail heads and didn't get lost/turned into mt. lion poo. It was not easy and took lots of time to figure it out! I applaud you guys for keeping these trails hard to find and thus the idiots off of them! I will carry my knowledge to the grave, unless an agent injects me with truth serum and Keanu Reeves can't get a lesbian to fly a helicopter to where they are holding me and "whoa" the building apart to save me... What was I talking about....

If we do make it out to SD this year it would be awesome to see you guys again and hit some trails!

I remember you brought the pig in 2011?

Even if not event interested if you all make it out here let me know, trails are kinda hard to find using forest service maps. We can show you around.

I brought one of the pigs. That was the only other time I saw a wheeling fj55 besides mine.

Thanks for the offer. We'll be sure to look you up.

Bumpage.

Looks like Jenn and I will be heading Westward with no real plans around July 17th and coming back when she goes back to school (Aug 10 she thinks).

It looks like SD will be incorporated, and I will plan my trip around that. Sounds like Bryan, Joe, Geoff, and myself (plus some wives) are in.

What time works for anyone who is going? Keep in mind that Sturgis is Aug 8-14, and I believe many people show up early. During/near that time, camping may be crowded or impossible in the Black Hills. The BHCC dates have not been announced, however, I bet it will be July 20-23 or July 27 to 30 (probably 20-23). I don't know where the attendees have landed on attending the event, or not... I think Wild Bills is the best camp for us and that is where the BHCC takes place. In fact they rent out the whole camp (IIRC) and if you aren't with the event you have to GTFO, and they don't allow members of the event to "free wheel." Everything must be guided runs. Just FYI.

The rest of the time that Jenn and I will be out West will be spent hitting places in CO (Buena Vista, San Juans, etc..), Moab, wherever else we end up... Feel free to join at any time! The more the merrier!

Cause you wanted some of that sweet Bonnifer sugar!

But now you have weathered the storm and are once again free to wander aimlessly with us... So why aren't you?