JDM Buying Advice Needed for Okinawa (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought this might get a little more focused help here. Sorry for the lengthy thread. But you guys will listen and not roll your eyes like my chica's!

I'm starting a 2 year tour in Okinawa and I'm on a vehicle search. I just bought a 1998 Nissan R'ennasa automatic, AWD, ABS, Sunroof and GPS for the wife and kids. Seems like a really good car for the island. I especially like the AWD and ABS as the roads here are supposed to get really slick during the rain. Plus it's got a timing chain so I don't have to worry about the age of a timing belt.

Now for me, I'd been hoping for a Land Cruiser Prado or Hilux Surf. The Land Cruiser's here seem to demand a premium, especially anything with four doors. I've also heard there are potential problems with the headgasket of the Diesel Prado's. The Surf's are everywhere but really seem to draw a premium as well. They have both the 3L V6 and a Turbo Diesel as well. I know the V6's had problems with headgaskets. I have a 1990 V6 PU back home that had the headgaskets done under the toyota recall. There seems to be no head gasket recall done in Japan, and many are still asking $2-3K with a known blown head gasket.

Now the Nissan's here are much better priced. There's a Terrano (Pathfinder) with a 2.7L Diesel that's a 1994 model for only $1,900. Does anyone know about these? Most of the AU stuff I've seen is on the Patrol's and I've only seen one of those here so far.

So are they any other suggestion for other reliable 4x4 modles I can use to explore the island? I don't want to drop a lot of cash as I'll only need it for 2 years.

I am just back from Ecuador. I saw a lot of gas powered Prados there - no diesels though. Gas is cheap but diesel is half the price, so I have a feeling that the diesel Prados still have issues. Of course, anyone here will highly recommend a diesel 70 or 80 series Land Cruiser. There are a number of the 2.7L Terronos around BC. I have yet to hear about any major issue with them. I wouldn't consider a 3.0 L gas powered Terrano. They are well known for warping exhaust manifolds and snapping exhaust manifold studs. I would consider a TD4.2 or TD4.2T powered Nissan Safari. I just hyappen to have one. They are great engines. If you can find a 5 spd standard they are a good rig with a solid front axle. Stay away from the 3.0L models which came out in the late 1990s. They are know as the grenade for good reason. Good luck.

PS: Have a look at the diesel Izusus if you are not in need of a solid front axle. They were all over Ecuador with both the Izusu and Chevy badges. One of the few diesels which I didn't see spewing out enormous black clouds of smoke.

Well I've narrowed it down to a 1994 Toyota Surf in great shape. Unfortunately while diesels are available, I couldn't find any in good shape in my price range at this time. So this one is a petrol 3.0 V6. I've had a toyota with this engine before so I'm pretty handy with it (200K Miles).

Surf's a in high demand here in Okinawa and the prices reflect it. Especially in military circles.

On Okinawa

Hey Partner,
I'm Cruisin on Oki with an FJ 75 and an FZJ 80 (Both currently under construction as cash allows). We have a good crew that does a lot of camping, wheeling (when we can) and get togethers. cwospark@yahoo is my address so send me a message if you need anything. I've got some good contacts here and they are good people.

S/F, Spark...:beer:

Bringing the thread up back from the dead!

I'll be doing the same as SunTzuMD in a few months and wanted to see if you alls had any input. I'm fancying a Delica for the wife and possibly a Nissan Safari or 70 series Land Cruiser if I can find one without giving up an arm and a leg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom