JDM 200 series Premium Horn install and sound comparison (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With all due respect to Akella for his efforts (I really appreciate all the guys who go to special lengths to get OEM stuff for us, at a good price), I picked up these http://www.rallylights.com/te16-compact-trumpet-horn.html as just about any horn that is a dual blaster of 400hz and 500hz will do. Sounds just like the muscle cars of the '70's. Good'n loud. Got a pair back in '08, for $32.50 shipped. They're even cheaper now. Pretty much plug n play.
Now if it's drive train components, or other mechanical aftermarket...then the details are much more important. These have worked great for me! I still turn around when I honk the horn and wonder...who's that???:lol::lol:

With all due respect to Akella for his efforts (I really appreciate all the guys who go to special lengths to get OEM stuff for us, at a good price), I picked up these http://www.rallylights.com/te16-compact-trumpet-horn.html as just about any horn that is a dual blaster of 400hz and 500hz will do. Sounds just like the muscle cars of the '70's. Good'n loud. Got a pair back in '08, for $32.50 shipped. They're even cheaper now. Pretty much plug n play.
Now if it's drive train components, or other mechanical aftermarket...then the details are much more important. These have worked great for me! I still turn around when I honk the horn and wonder...who's that???:lol::lol:

I'm running Hella Supertones from the same site...120db or so. Very impressed.

Thanks Akella!

Received my horns tonight about 6:20 pm this evening.
About an hour later I had them installed.

Could remove and install the low note hon from an opening below the grill.
Plug & Play! New horn connector same as old horn!

A little more involved to replace the high note horn. Pulled top plastic plugs from the top of the radiator grille. Was able to get pliers on the back of the lip to squeeze and push the clip that is on the grill ends.
The clip on the other side more difficult as not much room to work.

Knowing I would need to remove the battery for access I went ahead and bought a 24F battery at Costco for $85 . The original battery is getting close to seven years, so I decided to replace the battery when the horns came. With the battery gone, you have room now to get pliers on the other clip , squeeze and pull on the radiator grille. The grille pulled back enough to remove and replace the high note horn.
Hooked up battery cables from battery to battery terminals in order to test the new horns before putting everything back. Horns work great.

Put back grille, installed new battery. Finished. Even had time to return the battery core back to Costco and get a chance to test the horns.
Much richer sound, no tinny sound.

Well worth it, I'm happy.

Premium Horns

Just received my Toyota Premium horns from Akella.
Easy plug and play installation on my stock 80.
Remove the original horns but leave the bracket. Bolt the new horns to the
outboard bolts on the bracket. Add a washer to the stack.
They will fit perfectly. Just plug them in and .....
there you go.
Thanks Akella

I just ordered mine last week. Try pm to Akella, he responded right away.

Need to get a set of these. Are they still $90 shipped?

I got a set a couple of weeks ago and pulled the old horn, then looked at the connectors and said: awww man, no way, these aren't even close to fitting. Got neighbor/mechanic over & he looked at them, then rolled his eyes, and just...connected them. Time for new glasses I guess. Then he bolted them in...took maybe all of 4 minutes. They sound great. And they really are plug & play. Yes, they do sound like old Detroit iron horns, which is a good thing.

I'd like a set if still available. Thank you.

The stock horn is quite girly but all joking aside, I just don't think it is loud enough to afford much safety if you need to get another vehicle's attention quickly. I replaced mine with some cheapo FIAMM highway blasters that have worked out well.

Second the FIAMM Highway (could be Freeway) Blasters and between 1/3 and 1/2 the price depending where you buy. They seem to sound identical. Db level is what was important to me. Advertised Db level on these are very high for the price point.

Remove the grill and they plug right in. I just bent the OEM mount slightly, by hand, to direct the horns direct to the front.

@Dissent Price went up a bit. Horns are $119 shipped to USA now.

@Rea1994 PM replied

FWIW I have Cadillac A C D F "train" horns I got because the stockers seemed feeble. They are a common item lot on eBay.

Ditto. These are bad-ass.

Thanks for the fast shipping and customer service! Just installed on my 99 to replace the OEM corolla horns. These JDM ones are great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom